Possible job change would like advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im from south Fl and i have been working at the same place for 6 going on 7 years. The place I'm at now has been there for over 35 years and the menu hasn't changed a bit. Old fashioned but good food just older style.

Im a sous chef there and make about 34k a year, my hours are from 5am until about 2pm 5 days a week. I work every holiday, although I do get weekends off because i get my daughter those days. Typically i average about 45 hours a week and I'm paid hourly. There is not much creatively at my job other than soups and sauces. Right now i do the prep, baking and pastries, but previously i worked the line for 4 years.

The new job is at another place around downtown area, its Peruvian cuisine and its a place i like to go. The food is a bit more modern and i would have the opportunity to make all the specials of any choice i would like. I will be taking over the ordering, inventory, food cost, labor cost, menu design, and training eventually.

The hours would be 5 days a week from noon until about 10 pm. I will get every other saturday and sunday off and i will be making salary of about 35k.

The new job has benefits as well as some downfalls. My fiancé works mornings so i would only see her on the weekends, however by working later in the day i have the opportunity to take me daughter to school more often. Its about the same pay maybe a little less hour wise, but i get to be creative and learn a new cuisine.

i would like some advice on this because I just bought a house, I'm getting married and I'm in a custody battle and I can't afford to make the wrong decision, however i still want to advance in my career and continue to learn which i feel i haven't been doing at my current job.

Thanks Guys!

It sounds like you have many important things going on in parallel. I can no judge the possible risks for you (I live on different continent, have different type of job), but would suggest that you consider what impact it would have if the new jobs would not work out for you and you would have to look for different one. Also - how does your fiancee sees the job change at this moment?

Maybe you can try to look at it this way - you consider changing job because you are not too happy with the current one and the new position is obvisouly interesting for you. I can understand that, but unless you come home depressed from your current job, than the only person who is going to profit from changing the job right now is you (nothing wrong with it in principle). Question also is - is this new job once-in-a-lifetime chance, or could you actually try this (or similar) job in few months time?

Given the fact that you have a change in your relationship (wedding usually means some sort of change) AND the custody battle (how will that be affected if you would end up without a job for some time) that needs to be sorted out - what sounds like there are more people going to be negatively affected if your job change does not go smoothly.

I would probably play the safer tone, but that is me living in very different (in a way less flexible) society.

Whatever you choose - I wish you all the best with all the big decisions that you are about to make.

If you ask me 1k is not job changing factor unless you hate your current job . You listed about your responsibilites , I feel like you will be working more than what do you think . Your decision will be based on which order you put the importance of learning new cuisine,spending quality time with your kid,spending time to your self and better financial reward . Either way best of luck

Being a headchef is going to allow you more creative freedom and potentially a more rewarding worklife but as chefcomesback suggested you may well work more than the hours suggested.organising a wedding can be stressful and i imagine a custody battle would be very stressful.I would be inclined to stay put until both wedding and court are behind you as at least your current job provides you and importantly your daughter,who will also be struggling with the custody issue,a semblence of stability in your lives.

I would stay where you are.
If there are things you don't like try to get them changed.
Sounds like you have been a loyal employee so the boss will likely listen.

Latest posts

Back