Professional Sharpening Service for Single Bevel Knifes in Germany/Europe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_mich*

Reaction score
Hello,

i bought a used 150mm Masamoto KS Unagisaki which was sharpend wrong over a long time of period. It´s not possible to fix it by hand because it´s to much material. The shinogi line is wrong and there is a huge secondary bevel too. Is there any professional sharpening service in Germany or Europe who can fix it with a grinding wheel? By hand sharpening it will take hours and hours and days and days..... .

Thanks,
Michael

So I use an unagisaki regularly with my job. Are looking to sharpen it for use or aesthetics?

I also had to recently flatten a very large secondary bevel on an unagisaki hocho, so I have some tips. If you just want to make it usable, I think that's very doable to do by hand. I doubt there are many people outside of Japan with professional unagisaki sharpening experience.

I like sharpen it for use and aesthetics. I will use it for eel and other fish.

So here’s my basic thoughts:
- the tip is designed to use with the relatively softer bones in the eel. If you use the tip for fish with denser bones, you will probably chip or break the tip. It won’t work at all for most flatfish because of the shape.

- to use it, you really just need to flatten the bevels, so you can start sharping the edge consistently. Tbh, I did 75% of my flattening on a diamond stone to save time, then aratoishi to clean it up and remove gouges from the diamond stone. After that I sharpened like normal. It didn’t take that long.

- shinogi line is probably answered by someone else on the forum who is a better sharpener than me.

Would Finland work for you...?

I have an acquaintance there who runs a sharpening shop. He's regularly spent time in Japan learning sharpening. He does a great job on restaurations.

If interested dm me and I'll send you his details.

Take care

Jeff

Are those only flat surfaces or are you looking for specific freeform surfaces so specific convexity ?

Hello,

i bought a used 150mm Masamoto KS Unagisaki which was sharpend wrong over a long time of period. It´s not possible to fix it by hand because it´s to much material. The shinogi line is wrong and there is a huge secondary bevel too. Is there any professional sharpening service in Germany or Europe who can fix it with a grinding wheel? By hand sharpening it will take hours and hours and days and days..... .

Thanks,
Michael

Weirdly, I've seen exactly that low spot bit near the tip, in exactly the same place, on every one I've ever handled...

I wasn't joking @Carl Kotte , and I've just gone over to take a picture of one that I happen to have in my living room to prove it!

Exactly the same, I tell you...

IMG_1582.jpg

Is this about bevels not beeing flat?

On my cheapo usuba the spine tapers a little to the tip. Check this closely, here it's only about half a millimeter. And
the spine should be parallel to the shinogi (hira?),
the shinogi should be parallel to the edge (kiriha?), right?

The result of this geometry is a slightly decreasing angle from heel to tip. The hira is a flat rectangle. So the kiriha can't be flat with parallel lines.

Do you remember @JBroida 's sharpening vids? Sharpening by controlling finger pressure at the edge. Maintaining geometrie/look by finger pressure at the shinogi. After blending the bevels everything is fine.

The fun is grinding like Sisyphos. Of course I trid to correct the "issues":) It took me a while to find the answer to this quest. It's hidden somewhere in yt awesome.

Yes i know the blending method and i did it. I don´t fixed the shinogi line because it´s to much material. The Unagisaki is sharp like a gillette now.

Today I was in a famous knife and woodworking shop in germany. They offer a sharpening service for single bevel knives. I asked them how they resharpen single bevel knives. The clerk told me that they sharpen their single bevel knives with a tormek. They only resharpen the bevel side (Kireha) with a higher angle then original :eek::eek::eek:. After a few Tormek sessions you can dump your expensive knife !!!!. I am very disappointed because they suggest that the customer is offering a serious sharpening service.
I don't call the shop by name because I don't want to harm anyone.

Back