Pro's, what's on your line?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few other petties and gytuos that I sometimes bust out, but these are the main ones:

240 yoshikane kasumi gyuto (just got it so its been seeing most of the action)
240 kono white gyuto
270 kono white suji (for filleting/skinning fish)
240 ikkanshi tadatsuna inox suji (my line knife once service starts)
Kikuichi carbon honesuki
125 carbonext petty

Production/Prep
270 Tadatsuna White steel Yanagi
270 Yoshihiro Carbon Gyuto
165 Tojiro DP Nakiri
Tojiro ITK petty
Tojiro ITK bread knife
Blue ceramic rod (mystery, coarse)
Mac white ceramic rod
Palette knife
Peeler
Rasp

Line Service
Tojiro DP Nakiri
Blue ceramic rod
Palette knife
Large offset spatula
Grill tongs (2x)

It changes often. There is a relatively long list of 240mm gyuto that I rotate through

Staples-
Paring knife from JKI
Kikuichi Hankotsu
Heiji 240mm Suji
Joyce chen Scissors
mini off set spatula
peeler (green)
F. dick Spatula
Cake testers
Microplane
Can opener

Currently also in the box-
240mm Leder "line knife" (May become a staple)
7 inch s35vn Rodrigue Boning Knife
240mm Gyuto from Marko

I was intending on starting one of these threads myself and took pictures of my hotel pans on some days for the past month or so.

June 9th: Gengetsu 210mm semi stainless gyuto, Pierre boning knife, Don Nguyen prototype gyuto, 270mm Shigefusa gyuto w/ Marko shoes, Tojiro ITK bread knife with kaleab dressing, Marko Tsourkan 240mm gyuto, mac rod, oxo peeler, car keys.
2012-06-09%252022.52.00.jpg

June 13th: mhenry's Takeda passaround, Gengetsu, mac rod, rosle tongs, sharpie.
2012-06-13%252015.06.08.jpg

June 16th: Marko, Gengetsu, 300mm Hiromoto suji w/ Dave & Marko accoutrements, mac rod, rosle rongs, Gray Kunz spoons, wallet.
2012-06-16%252023.07.13.jpg

June 23rd: Shige, Marko, Tojiro, Yamawaku 210mm yanagi, mac rod, kunz spoons.
2012-06-23%252014.13.14.jpg

June 25th: Marko, Pierre, Michael Rader 12" W2 Scimitar, mac rod, kunz spoons.
2012-06-25%252013.41.27.jpg

Johnny,
Whats your impression of the Don Nguyen Gyuto?

What do you use the scimitar for? Cutting beef it'd imagine? If so does it work better than a Gyuto?

I try to be much more slim than a lot of you guys, I usually only have 2 knives out and the rest are tucked away in the roll. There's no room for me to put my knives in a hotel pan. Heck, not enough hotel pans to have the luxury of using one for full time knife storage.

270mm Yoshihiro stainless gyuto
150mm Ichimonji TKC petty

These are in the roll and pulled out when the task demands it.

300mm Kanemasa e series suji
180mm Shimatani white 2 deba
80mm Dojo paring

I like your less-is-more attitude, Sir.

I try to be much more slim than a lot of you guys, I usually only have 2 knives out and the rest are tucked away in the roll. There's no room for me to put my knives in a hotel pan. Heck, not enough hotel pans to have the luxury of using one for full time knife storage.

80mm Dojo paring

Johnny,
Whats your impression of the Don Nguyen Gyuto?

Overall it was excellent.

What do you use the scimitar for? Cutting beef it'd imagine? If so does it work better than a Gyuto?

I use it for butchering and portioning steaks, breaking down whole chickens and ducks, as a lobster splitter, slicing roasts, Portioning pork belly, and I have used it as my line knife in the past for slicing duck breast or skirt steak to order. For most tasks like this it is significantly better than a gyuto.

80mm Dojo paring

I keep pretty similar stuff on hand all the time.

270 Yoshihiro
150 Ikkaku Honesuki

Used to have an 80mm Suisin parer with a custom sheath from Eamon in my pocket at all times (that's why I had the sheat made). It was stolen last Friday, which was one of the first times I put it down in a tray. Lesson learned: beware when you stage at places, or you could suddenly be working with a smaller kit.

heirkb said:
Used to have an 80mm Suisin parer with a custom sheath from Eamon in my pocket at all times (that's why I had the sheat made). It was stolen last Friday, which was one of the first times I put it down in a tray. Lesson learned: beware when you stage at places, or you could suddenly be working with a smaller kit.

Wow that sucks. And of course accusing people of stealing that you just started working with hours ago can be awkward.

1004744w.jpg

Does not rotate. I have one set of knives, I know them and like to use them.

Most important tool - nailbrush
Cleaver from ebay
Masamoto 27 slicer
victorinox bread knife - planned kasumi bread knife instead.
fujiwara FKH petty.
Shigefusa 27 kasumi chefs
Misono carbon parer thinned
Hiromoto 24 superthinned - soon to e replaced with Kato 27 chefs knife
Ultra petit gyuto noname my handle
Yoshikane SKD petty 15

Heldentenor, It stays at work, in the office. Last time we ordered tuna, Hayate was very happy - he told me.
Unfortunately, when the fish actually arrived, price pr kilo doubled [from 180 kroner to 367!]! It rose virtually overnight. And nobody informed us.
So weve sent fish back and Mr Hayate sleeps in the box waiting.
I dont know if its because theres no more tuna [it was a bluefin] or whats the story. We'll try to order again.

I have made other box for my single beveled knives. Show off planned when lacquering is done and handle mounted.
I was looking for a handle for like two months. Finally I got something more or less fitting the concept.

Yeah, I am quite crazy about my hands... Especially when cutting down whole fish.

it matches up and then some!! it took some time to get the bevel where i wanted it but now that i have it where i like it, it performs beautifully. a side note that may make a difference on why i love that knife so much is that the geometry of the knife itself seems to have been made for my preferred way to sharpen. i bought it from a member who did some work on it but it would have taken me like 1 more hour if i had gotten it from scratch. really i got it where i like it in like 3 hours time and am reaping the benefits. it is one of my favorites because i put the time into it and would never let it go.

i still love my konosuke knives but i kinda keep them around for special tasks and fish fabrication.

How do you sharpen yours? I just ordered the 270mm suji whoot! It will slay hundreds of maki and slice fish at the same time :p. I've been sharpening asymetrically for awhile but not like anybody else. More like honesuki style but only going to a high angle on the front with my highest grit stone. I'm going to attempt to flatten the back of the suji. The a-types are slightly concave on the back correct? I'm still honing in on my perfect knife sharpening regiment. Anyway this baby is taking place of yanagi, gyuto, and petty. I'm too busy to sharpen 3 knives everyday and this menu doesn't merit having specialized knives. So I'm hoping I can get the retention I want out of it.

Overall it was excellent.

I use it for butchering and portioning steaks, breaking down whole chickens and ducks, as a lobster splitter, slicing roasts, Portioning pork belly, and I have used it as my line knife in the past for slicing duck breast or skirt steak to order. For most tasks like this it is significantly better than a gyuto.

Boy you have some very nice work knives,that Rader Scimitar is a cool looking blade.I like a small carbon cleaver for splitting Lobsters.

1004744w.jpg

Does not rotate. I have one set of knives, I know them and like to use them.

Most important tool - nailbrush
Cleaver from ebay
Masamoto 27 slicer
victorinox bread knife - planned kasumi bread knife instead.
fujiwara FKH petty.
Shigefusa 27 kasumi chefs
Misono carbon parer thinned
Hiromoto 24 superthinned - soon to e replaced with Kato 27 chefs knife
Ultra petit gyuto noname my handle
Yoshikane SKD petty 15

Nice set,what kind of cleaver?The Victorinox wavy edge bread knife is popular in Hawaii,It just sails through clubs & all kinds of fancy sandwiches.Has a gentle rocker & can be sharpened wt. a slipstone.I've used quite a few bread knives some pretty expensive,the lowly victorinox is still one of my favorites.

Being carbon I imagine it's pretty sharp.So you made your own handle & Saya good job:doublethumbsup:

Cheers.

Its getting as sharp as all other carbon knives I have. Plus it has the weight behind it, so its very funny to work with :)

my daily is

******** Artifex 210 gyuto
Aritsugu A type 210 gyuto
Aritsugu Mukimono 180 Blue II steel
Stephan Fowler 278mm Suji in W2
Hattorii 240mm KF gyuto
No-name 80mm paring knife

The gyutos are rotated between sharpening sessions for daily prep but the Atype is my preference
the Hattorii will stand in for the Fowler if it becomes dull during service to slice protienes other than that i dont use the Hattorii during prep for space reasons

IMG_0214.jpg

Glestain 240mm gyuto: lent it to a co-worker to dice onions for soup. Our house knives are in desperate need of sharpening.
Masamoto virgin carbon petty
Vintage German scimitar
Suisin Inox Honyaki 270mm gyuto
Seikon Dojo 300mm yanagiba
Zakuri blue #1 240mm gyuto

I had my 240mm Suisin IH suji out too when I had to switch kitchens to put out hors d'oeuvres for a 150 person marketing party.

Nice set there, Johnny! How's that Itonomonn working out for you? The handle looks petit.

Back