Question: can I cook mushrooms the day before?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
I'm making mushroom and leek risotto for tomorrow's dinner. I have time to saute the mushrooms today. Any downside to doing that step now and finishing the risotto tomorrow?

I've never done this with risotto, but I've occasionally put left-over sautéed mushrooms in the fridge overnight to eat with breakfast the next morning. That works fine. Just blot the mushrooms before you put them into a container. You don't want them to float in their own juices.

Last edited:
IMHO you should be able to sautee the mushrooms while making risotto and not lose any prep time. Or you can even make the risotto half way the day before and add the mushrooms the next day.

Sure. If anything, the flavor might intensify/darken a bit overnight.
One technique I really like for mushrooms comes from Coleman Andrews book on Catalan cooking. Saute quickly on high heat just to lightly brown, then lower heat and salt (the temp change plus the salt pulls the liquid out), cook on low until the liquid is gone, a bit more olive oil and the heat goes back up to quickly brown. This is kind of like a self-deglaze.
Or just butter and low-ish heat for a long time, then crank the heat and deglaze with vermouth at the end.

I've never done this with risotto, but I've occasionally put left-over sautéed mushrooms in the fridge overnight to eat with breakfast the next morning. That works fine. Just blot the mushrooms before you put them into a container. You don't want them to float in their own juices.
Now I really want to know what your breakfast is, if it has sautéed mushrooms.

Occasionally, traditional Aussie “big brekkie”. Fried egg, hash brown, bacon, breakfast sausage, grilled tomato, sautéed mushroom, baked beans, and toast with Vegemite. (The hipster version also has some halloumi.) Plus a big cuppa…

Would that be American bacon or rashers?
Usually, it is served with middle rashers. That's the loin part with the belly part in a single piece, so you get both. middle-rashers.jpg

roast the mushrooms instead and yes day ahead is fine
This.

i took a cue from some celebrity chef, and he dry sautes them in a hot pan without oil. i have done this twice and it is delicious. it is kinda brutal on a pan tho. he used non-stick. which i think is too hot..i used Cast iron. the flavor is up there!! and then i dress with good olive oil, so i get the (maybe in my mind?) the benefits of eating un-heated EVOO.

i do it the day before all the time. heck, i am eating it for lunch today.
the pan takes a beathing.

next time, i am taking Panda's advice. i am roasting them in a hotter oven. boom.

Lucas Sin over at Food52 had an interesting take on the subject. Braise the mushrooms first, reduce the liquid down to nothing, add oil and fry.

You could braise and reduce the day before, and store the mushrooms in their own stock, which would prevent some oxidation.

https://watch.food52.com/m/yCMVnmwd...ould-be-braising-your-mushrooms?list=FM7pa9hc

this is usually what i do. especially with shrooms i forage myself. u really don't need to add water first, perhaps a few drops, the shrooms will release its own. when it returns to dry i either fry or bag them for the freezer.

Back