r/chefknives NEEDS to return

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why spend more of your time here on this forum which you guys clearly don't like? But do you I guess?

Funny enough this guy was also quite rude to me in DM's once, looks like nothing has changed lol

This Redis crap makes me feel much better about the recent autopay for my kkf membership hitting me by surprise.
There is nothing wrong with Redis. It is an excellent efficient caching program.

Reddit is another story, but there is not one Reddit, there are many thousands. Bet some are pretty nice.

I figure I'll start /r/spicywhite. The topic will be Sichuan and Thai fish dishes. In accordance with the title, any mention of salmon or bluefish will get you banned.

There is nothing wrong with Redis. It is an excellent efficient caching program.

Reddit is another story, but there is not one Reddit, there are many thousands. Bet some are pretty nice.

I figure I'll start /r/spicywhite. The topic will be Sichuan and Thai fish dishes. In accordance with the title, any mention of salmon or bluefish will get you banned.

LOL I’ve had Redis on the brain the last couple weeks from a fire drill at work.

And sorry but “spicywhite” sounds like a forum for white people that like spicy food 😂

Sounds like a subreddit for white people to give spicy takes.

I'll take donations, in the form of Japanese honyaki, Kippington's, Bidinger, Kamon, etc. I'm not that picky *cough* S-grind Dalman HSS 270mm *cough*
There are only two of those out there though, right?

I sold the one I had a couple of years back. It's a cool knife.

was wondering the same thing. automod has gone silent the past couple of weeks.

That said, checking out r/chefknives now after joining KKF and being here the past few months really highlights the huge chasm of expertise of that subreddit now that the mods are gone. Granted it was always "should I buy a shun?" and "what knife under $100?" but you'd also have really interesting discussion and see some really cool knife posts

Most posters have moved away from r/chefknives in Reddit to other subs, incl. r/truechefknives, and evolving nicely. It will always be different from KKF IMO, but that's OK with me.

The admins forced the sub back open and pushed out the moderators. Many deleted their Reddit accounts altogether (myself included).

What remains is representative of Reddit without quality contributors or moderators.
Just checked. It's already getting back to the way it used to be years ago--chat between semi-informed and curious kitchen knife users. Great to see that automod cynics have left.

As a new member on KKF, CKTG and BladeForums all at the same time, I’d like to convey that I am enjoying this forum immensely. I occasionally perused r/chefknives and my interest in Japanese knives commenced with a Shun Classic 10” chef knife, MAC Pro 3.25” paring knife, and a Lamson 8” vegetable cleaver. I have learned far more on here than anywhere else and appreciate this forum and all its members. It’s a pretty special place and I’m glad I got involved in this hobby.

Last edited:
was wondering the same thing. automod has gone silent the past couple of weeks.

That said, checking out r/chefknives now after joining KKF and being here the past few months really highlights the huge chasm of expertise of that subreddit now that the mods are gone. Granted it was always "should I buy a shun?" and "what knife under $100?" but you'd also have really interesting discussion and see some really cool knife posts
Sub is really bad now. On par with the overly knife-erotic Facebook groups. Shows the importance of the wiki, guides and well-researched posts. Those, and the diligence of some users, were the strengths of the sub IMO. KKF has its pros and cons as well. Ability to keep a topic going for a long time is nice, unless the thread gets flooded.

In an austere kitchen suffused with the soft, ambient light emanating from a bare LED bulb, Jeremiah was not alone. Polished marble countertops gleamed like lustrous pearls, revealing their reflections in the stainless steel appliances that enveloped them. Here, amidst an oeuvre of culinary instruments—meticulously arranged whisks, spoons, and a mise-en-place of exotic spices—there was one object that surpassed all others in significance: his 6” Tojiro chef's knife.

Far from a mere implement, this knife was an extension of Jeremiah himself, an embodiment of his aspirations, skills, and a lineage of artisanal expertise. It bore a composite blade of Damascus steel, its intricate patterns almost liquid in appearance, revealing the complexity of its multi-layered construction. Its handle was carved from ebony pakkawood, a hybrid material that married the aesthetic appeal of natural wood with the durability of polymer resin.

With a sort of reverence that one might find incongruous for a kitchen utensil, Jeremiah cradled the knife in his arms, his fingers tracing the elegant lines etched into its blade. The tactile experience transcended mere touch; it was akin to a sensorimotor dialogue, an intimate knowledge exchange between craftsman and tool. The knife, through its weight, balance, and aerodynamic design, communicated its readiness to perform, to actualize its latent potential into culinary alchemy.

For Jeremiah, this moment was a microcosm of the symbiotic relationship that exists between artisan and instrument. The knife was more than a static object; it was a dynamic entity, continually reshaped by each cut, slice, and chop it performed, just as Jeremiah was continually reshaped by each meal he crafted, each flavor profile he explored. Within this synergistic framework, the boundaries between man and tool blurred, becoming a united front against the raw, unformed elements that awaited their transformative touch.

While an observer might perceive only a man holding a knife, Jeremiah and the Tojiro knife together comprised a gestalt entity, a transcendent amalgamation of form and function. Each time the blade came into contact with ingredients—slicing through a shallot with atomic precision, filleting a salmon along the bias—it was as though Jeremiah himself were melding with the food, becoming a living vector in the complex equation of flavor, texture, and presentation.

Ultimately, as Jeremiah placed the knife back into its magnetic wooden saya, he felt a quietude settle within him—a tranquility born not from idleness, but from alignment. The alignment of purpose, skill, and the perfect instrument to bridge the two. And as he took one last, contemplative look at his kitchen, everything in its rightful place, he knew that, with his Tojiro chef's knife at his side, the culinary cosmos was rife with infinite possibilities, waiting to be carved into reality.

Jeremiah's kitchen was his sanctuary, a place where he could express his creativity and passion for the culinary arts. The Tojiro chef's knife was not just a tool but a key to unlocking the potential he saw in every ingredient. It was the medium through which he painted his culinary masterpieces on the canvas of plates, each dish a unique symphony of flavors, colors, and textures.

As the evening sun dipped below the horizon, Jeremiah's kitchen came alive with the soft glow of pendant lights suspended above the dining area. The aroma of a simmering sauce filled the air, and he couldn't help but smile, anticipating the joy that his creations would bring to the diners.

The restaurant he had built from scratch was more than just a business venture; it was an extension of his soul. It was a place where his knife skills, his passion for sourcing the finest ingredients, and his unending curiosity about the world of food could find their ultimate expression.

The Tojiro knife, with its heritage and craftsmanship, was a conversation starter with customers. Diners would often inquire about its origins, and Jeremiah would share the story with pride, emphasizing that the knife was as much a part of the culinary experience as the dishes themselves.

Every night, as he moved with grace and precision in his kitchen, Jeremiah marveled at how the knife effortlessly transformed the ingredients. It was a dance of finesse, where the blade was an extension of his fingers, slicing through the flesh of tomatoes, julienning carrots, and deboning poultry with a surgeon's precision. Each cut was a testament to his expertise and the knife's trusty companionship.

His relationship with the Tojiro knife was not just about technique; it was an emotional connection. It had seen the highs and lows of his culinary journey, from the anxiety-filled opening night to the jubilation of earning Michelin stars. It had been his solace in moments of exhaustion and his source of inspiration when he felt stuck.

The years had passed, and the Tojiro knife had developed a patina of its own, each mark a testament to the countless hours of culinary exploration. It had become more than a tool; it was a symbol of his dedication, his willingness to strive for perfection.

As the night's service came to an end, Jeremiah stood in the doorway, watching the diners savor every bite. The smiles on their faces were a reflection of his dedication and the perfection that his knife had helped him achieve. In that moment, he knew that the connection between the craftsman and his instrument had reached its zenith.

Jeremiah's Tojiro knife was more than a mere utensil; it was an embodiment of his life's work, his passion, and his pursuit of culinary excellence. It was the silent partner in his journey, a testament to the artistry of food and the beauty of the kitchen. And as he retired to his quiet kitchen, he was filled with gratitude for the symbiotic relationship that had allowed him to shape and be shaped by the world of flavors and cuisine, a true maestro in his culinary cosmos.

Sub is really bad now. On par with the overly knife-erotic Facebook groups. Shows the importance of the wiki, guides and well-researched posts. Those, and the diligence of some users, were the strengths of the sub IMO. KKF has its pros and cons as well. Ability to keep a topic going for a long time is nice, unless the thread gets flooded.
There is now more use of multiple subs on Reddit, with truechefsknives evolving nicely with refugees from chefknives, and the original still recovering from automod--but there is also one for knifemakers, and one for kanji. Adding supposed expert moderators can sometimes be the blind leading the blind.

Back