Appetizer Ravioli of Duck Confit and Shiitake Mushrooms

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippington

A small green parrot
Reaction score
Let's try this new sub-forum out!
Ravioli of Duck Confit and Shiitake Mushrooms

Birdy tax is always present in my cooking...

TuAfRV0.jpg

Gotta start with the duck.
Prepare the maryland by dry-curing them in salt, thyme, garlic and bay leaves. Leave them in the fridge overnight.

4ldhEbw.jpg

The following day, wash them clean of all the salt and pat dry. Sous vide them in a bag with rendered duck fat, thyme and bay leaves.
Cook them at 70 degrees Celsius for 18 hours.

FO9iLhp.jpg

I was cooking pho style soup for dinner that night and took the opportunity to hydrate some dried shiitake mushrooms in the broth. This serves to both hydrate the mushrooms and add a mildly spiced flavor to them.

cxWTJcS.jpg

When the duck is cooked, pull the meat off the bone while it's warm.
Roughly chop the duck after a quick blast in the fridge. Don't to do this while it's still hot or the loss of juices will dry it out.

unYNuUe.jpg

Add sour cream, chives, pepper and some of the hydrated shiitake mushrooms (roughly chopped) to the duck.
Season if necessary, but remember that the duck was already salted.

98Fazz3.jpg

Cut the pasta sheets into discs, or be lazy like me and use wonton skins ;). Place a small ball of duck mix in the middle then place another disc on top, sealing them together with egg mix.

pewX1wE.jpg

Here are some of the finished ravioli.
Add a dash of oil to a pot of boiling water then cook the ravioli in it till the pasta is done. Remember that the contents of the ravioli are already cooked, so they don't need much time or a high temperature.

ydvKmPe.jpg

I added a mustard based sauce to the base of the plate and a small selection of root vegetables for the salad; baby beetroot, pickled artichoke hearts and finely sliced fennel bulb.
Slice and add some of the hydrated shiitake mushrooms to the plate. Garnish with chives and a sprig of fennel.

Ir2AWCx.jpg

yummy. I think I'll do this but without the confit duck (too time consuming). I shall chop up some roast duck + roast pork mixture and add some spinach :D

Back