Reducing cleaver belly?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From an email response it looks like the standard TF cleaver is 3.5mm thick at the spine. So not super thin. I'm wondering now though if that might be more like I want anyway. I'm a vegan so I only cook with vegetables and i think all the talk of chicken and fish bones has me a little confused...
I was assuming that I'd be better off with a thin "slicing" cleaver. But actually a lot of the cutting I will be doing will be push cutting and chopping hard root vegetables (sweet potatoe, carrot, etc. No pumpkin skin). Would people advise a thin (~2.5mm) slicing sleaver for that kind of use or would I be better served by something a little thicker to atand up to the root vegtables and occassional vigorous chopping even though the knife will never go anywhere near bones (or meat)?

35239061475_7db0a04de9_c.jpg

From an email response it looks like the standard TF cleaver is 3.5mm thick at the spine. So not super thin. I'm wondering now though if that might be more like I want anyway. I'm a vegan so I only cook with vegetables and i think all the talk of chicken and fish bones has me a little confused...
I was assuming that I'd be better off with a thin "slicing" cleaver. But actually a lot of the cutting I will be doing will be push cutting and chopping hard root vegetables (sweet potatoe, carrot, etc. No pumpkin skin). Would people advise a thin (~2.5mm) slicing sleaver for that kind of use or would I be better served by something a little thicker to atand up to the root vegtables and occassional vigorous chopping even though the knife will never go anywhere near bones (or meat)?
I use thinner and prefer it, but get whatever makes you want to use and enjoy the knife.
99C7PJA.jpg

I use thinner and prefer it, but get whatever makes you want to use and enjoy the knife.
99C7PJA.jpg

+1 that's what I dig right there and as far as I'm concerned makes the whole Chukabocho experience euphoric. Anything else and I feel like I might as well bust out the ax because it won't be nimble anymore. Remember, a full size Chuka is often 200mm and up (mine main one is 240) so that is a LOT of real estate and if it aint thin, damn, it will drive like a Freightliner.
my2c

@xoomg what stones did you use thin it? I remember the before pic, looks like a lot of work. I wouldn't mind giving my gesshin cleaver a similar treatment. I have hard time figuring out how high I want to thin.
And apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

@xoomg what stones did you use thin it? I remember the before pic, looks like a lot of work. I wouldn't mind giving my gesshin cleaver a similar treatment. I have hard time figuring out how high I want to thin.
And apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
I've done a couple of these. One was done on a naniwa 220, but that is a fair bit of work. An atoma would be faster but I don't want to use mine for thinning in general. Mostly I use a low-rpm horizontal wet wheel now to get the bevel in order, though I still switch to 220 naniwa to get the near edge close to where I like it.

Measure your gesshin cleaver at 1cm from the edge. If it is under 1mm, you don't need a bevel to ride super high.

Back