Reprofile 15 year old Takagi Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought this my first Honyaki off Japan Woodworker 15 years ago. Used it at work grind was right hand backside almost flat 80/20. Was thick grind used it splitting lobsters before got a lobster cleaver from Chinatown. It only cost 248$
Elsewhere they were 400.00. I found a couple overgrinds figured his seconds were cheaper on JWW. I thinned the blade took out the overgrinds. Had Stephan Keller make a ebony handle for it. Have been using it to cut up cardboard boxes for recycle. Last time sharpened it decided to take off sheepfoot nose & blend it some toward tip more gyuto like.
Also thinned the tip some. I almost sold this on bst with two other knives. Other knives sold first day this one didn't. I pulled it second day decided to keep it. Thinning had removed some of the KU finish. The thinned tip is very sharp.
20240408_145800.jpg
20240408_145037.jpg
20240408_144828.jpg
20240408_144955.jpg
20240408_145336.jpg

These are super cool knives, but definitely need a tune up out of the box. Live his steel, but it’s definitely not the most pleasant to sharpen from my memory. Makes me miss mine!

Extremely good steel, my favorite honyaki steel over 2 Sakai honyaki gyuto (including Mizuno white), 1 Tokyo style hamon (straight) honyaki usuba, 1 honyaki takohiki, 1 honyaki Sakai yanagi, yasha tamahagane honyaki, tansu honyaki (2nd favorite honyaki tied for steel tied with yasha), wat blue honyaki

It refines and stops like great white steel is why I like it.

I searched this blade on the forum.
Back in 2012 didn't know why steels seemed so different. Would just use knives that suited job at work. Takagi was a tool maker had to be tough. The thick grind on the Honyaki had almost a chisel grind. Not suitable for most kitchen jobs. I would never use carbons to spit up to 200 lobsters, for some reason the Takagi was excellent. Of coarse after beatings would need sharpening it's carbon not a problem. The blade didn't chip none of my other carbon blades could handle lobster. My bone cleaver was too big.

Said at the time if you want a thin knife don't buy a Takagi Honyaki. Of coarse later I caved in thinned it on belt sander and a bucket of water taking off much of ku exposing part of the hamon irregular line. This blade was a JWW cheap honyaki. Some hated it understandably, to others a project blade. To me it was the steel in that knife. It's the longest surviving kitchen knife I own. It's a better kitchen blade now, but wouldn't split lobsters with it now that it's thinner. I'm probably not finished screwing around with it yet. A tribute to the Takaji the tool maker who could forge great tough steel.

Back