Review comparison of three 1k stones: JNS, Watanabe, and King Hyper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow intrsting conclusion.
I have JNS 1000 and I find it rather underwhelming. I think its one of the worst stone purchases. Super slow, almost no feedback, feel like you are not doing much. I dunno, it does not feel like 1K stone at all.
The basic King Deluxe 1200 is better stone in all aspects (besids being a soaker) for this grit range.

Wow intrsting conclusion.
I have JNS 1000 and I find it rather underwhelming. I think its one of the worst stone purchases. Super slow, almost no feedback, feel like you are not doing much. I dunno, it does not feel like 1K stone at all.
The basic King Deluxe 1200 is better stone in all aspects (besids being a soaker) for this grit range.
King Deluxe? Lol, well I can totally see how we have diametrally opposed taste on stones.
Goes to show you how crazy perception can be.

King Deluxe? Lol, well I can totally see how we have diametrally opposed taste on stones.
Goes to show you how crazy perception can be.
Yep. Perception and Expectations are interesting things.
And its not for lack of trying. I alway try to use JNS 1000 every other time I sharpen in case it grows on me. For example, I did not like chosera 800 initially but with time I started to appreciate it.
But JNS 1000 just horrible. If somebody would give it to me and said, here is a new 3K S&G stone, I would be like - hm its an ok 3K stone.

It looks like you would like the old JNS 1k (soaker) better. I have both the soaker and the s&g and the soaker feels grainier. I feel the s&g works better after it had its good share of water, after it stops drinking it fast.

It looks like you would like the old JNS 1k (soaker) better. I have both the soaker and the s&g and the soaker feels grainier. I feel the s&g works better after it had its good share of water, after it stops drinking it fast.
I was planning to get the soaker, but when I got around it was replaced by this SnG.
:(

Hi Ruso, my suggestion to you (if you haven't already done that) is to give extra splashes of water at the new JNS 1k until it is completely soaked. Only after that start sharpening. I don't feel mine is slow, but is definitely feels a little bit higher gritted than the old JNS 1k.

i would just like you inform you that the site appears to be down now :(
Yes, unfortunately I no longer had time for maintaining the site, so I took it down. I have no doubt that Valgard and I are able to answer questions though!

I'll see if I still have some draft of the text and maybe copy and paste here

That’s a shame, I really enjoyed reading all those reviews.
Still think y’all need to include the 320 grit cerax in the low grit stone comparison. You’ll be plenty impressed!

That’s a shame, I really enjoyed reading all those reviews.
Still think y’all need to include the 320 grit cerax in the low grit stone comparison. You’ll be plenty impressed!
I jest don't have the Cerax and have only been looking for extra coarse solutions since then. Have bought the nano hone 200 recently, and a few month back the Kashfly sand paper holder + Rhynowet redline sandpaper #180.

Hi guys i actually already have all the 1k stones you tested. i just noticed that the site was down and thought i should let you know. I kinda liked the site..

are you planning a new similar site in the future or is it too much work maintaining a site?

Hi guys i actually already have all the 1k stones you tested. i just noticed that the site was down and thought i should let you know. I kinda liked the site..

are you planning a new similar site in the future or is it too much work maintaining a site?

Which one you like the best?

Unfortunately, maintaining the site and writing new stuff was quite a big job... made the hobby feel like work too much! Very happy to hear you liked it though! I think I remember that the JNS 1000 was reviewed to be the best on average, with the king and watanabe excelling more in certain areas. I could be wrong though, so please check the link above if needed!

Back