Rika 5000 problem

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also it has been scientifically proven that finer stones creates a lower angle apex. but its mostly academical if you dont have the basics nailed down.

a 1k is good allround stone though. you get practice time. a 5k is good too. you get more practice time.

I watched part of your video and even though I’m not a expert I would like to give you following suggestions:

1. Watch J. Broida’s videos which was linked here earlier
2. Slow down
3. Fix your right hand grip
4. Left hand finger behind the edge and put some pressure on the edge
5. Never try to test burr sliding your fingers parallel to the edge, when you get the burr it will cut you
6. Use pressure only edge trailing strokes
7. Keep steady angle, seem that your angle keeps changing. Maybe try to first sharpen section at the time.
8. Learn how to feel burr. When you are using 400 grit stone it should be very easy to feel it and actually see that bent edge because it will be huge when sharpening soft knives.
9. Watch J. Broida’s video how to deburr And deburr correctly

This video has helped me to understand why it explains it very calmly and perhaps and this is what I need
He glosses over the deburring step between stones. Just something to be aware of. Paying attention to this detail can really help.

He also says you won't need to deburr after the 3k stone, which I disagree with. I don't really agree at all with how he finishes, I don't think that's a durable edge.

He also misses the heel if you watch. FYI.

I do agree with his mind state though, and that will certainty help going forward. I also agree that not every knife has the same apex angle, and you need to find it.

Last edited:
Back