Robuchon Potato

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbl

Reaction score
A quick question for those of you using a recipe similar to this in a pro kitchen:
Are you completing the process and then holding?
Or are the potatoes milled and passed in a fridge and then butter and milk added to order?
If holding, what is the best method?
Thanks!

either a double boiler in a bain marie, or a alto sham in a pastry bag wrapped in warm wet towels

thick bottom pot w/ top on a rack somewhere semi hot like between the french island where you keep your pots and pans, then we would spoon them into a smaller pot to order and re whip them.

+1 for double boiler, if you are doing more than one pastry bag, wrap a bunch of "packages" of potato in plastic wrap. When you need another, just cut a slit in the package and drop it into your piping bag. Quick reload

When holding the mash, add some milk on top and cover with paper/film.
Warm up when about to serve then re whip it while adding some more milk

I've done both cold and hot holding, always finish the potatoes completely for both. Hot holding as mentioned above, double boiler, shelf on a suite or in cloth piping bags in an alto shaam. For cold we would finish them, spread in a hotel pan and cover with the butter wrappers or buttered parchment and then ice them down. They came back fine with a little milk and very little compromise in quality.

Do you guys really use 2 to 1 butter ratio?

1.5 parts butter to 1 part potato, yessir. It's essentially a warm potato compound butter. And it's Ratte potatoes only.

90% butter is sooooooo good but damn expensive to make if you're making big batches

Brings new meaning to the phrase "butter makes it better"

Indeed my friend, lots and lots of butter, I forget which chef did it at the moment but he did like 95% butter or something like that

Indeed my friend, lots and lots of butter, I forget which chef did it at the moment but he did like 95% butter or something like that

unless there was a emulsifier i feel like it would break at that ratio...that and be soup

Wait...I think I can hear my arteries hardening. If I can find those La Reine potatoes, I'd try it. Otherwise, we're use to milk, buttermilk. sour cream and a little less butter

Back