Seaman’s knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genghis_F

Often wrong but never in doubt
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
After you’ll are done with middle school jokes
Looking for some help finding a seaman’s knife- traditionally used on a sailing vessel
Used for ship board tasks not just cutting rigging
Also used as a spike to loosen knots
I can probably get one at west marine but looking for something bespoke
Any sailors out there?

They're more widely known as rigging knives and a Marlin spike. You can find them as folders or two-piece fixed blades. Case, AG Russell, even Spyderco have all made or do make some version. Rough Ryder probably still does but I wouldn't put those anywhere close to a bespoke description.

They were never my thing so I don't have much to recommend but the very first thing that pops into my mind when people want boating knives is Dave Boye and his dendritic Cobalt.

https://www.boyeknives.com/collections/all/products/sheepsfoot-folding-knife
You might also jump on Stefen Schmalhaus' You Tube channel and see if you can find something he reviewed. Bespoke is what he does.

Neat, hadn’t known about these.

That mid-lock with the cut out instead of being flat along the handle is known as the Boye Dent. Sal Glesser of Spyderco still calls it that on their knives. Makes it easier to find without looking. Dave Boye does interesting stuff for sure.

They're more widely known as rigging knives and a Marlin spike. You can find them as folders or two-piece fixed blades. Case, AG Russell, even Spyderco have all made or do make some version. Rough Ryder probably still does but I wouldn't put those anywhere close to a bespoke description.

They were never my thing so I don't have much to recommend but the very first thing that pops into my mind when people want boating knives is Dave Boye and his dendritic Cobalt.

You might also jump on Stefen Schmalhaus' You Tube channel and see if you can find something he reviewed. Bespoke is what he does.
Super cool Sheepsfoot blade and spike
I ordered on
Thanks for the pointer!!

After you’ll are done with middle school jokes
Looking for some help finding a seaman’s knife- traditionally used on a sailing vessel
Used for ship board tasks not just cutting rigging
Also used as a spike to loosen knots
I can probably get one at west marine but looking for something bespoke
Any sailors out there?
This is my Pop's one from the NZ Navy, WW2.
IMG20231212075322.jpg

When my wife and I worked on boats, and had current Seaman discharge books, I used a Leatherman and an awl thing for rope work.

Those Boye knives are cool, I like his pointed tip knife a lot better. Blunt tip knives confound me.

Spyderco has lots of excellent options in their SALT line if the marlin spike is not necessary. The Spyderco Siren and Tasman are particular favorites. A Philips head screw driver works better than a marlin spike anyway.

Not a sailor, but my wife has uses for a marlinspike for horse knots from time to time. A large, dedicated one is nicer to use than a small one on a folder for attacking knots in thick rope.

I can endorse the Boye, and the Spyderco Salt knives, both of which have made appearances in my wife's Christmas stocking in years past. But I'm not sure I've ever used the flat marlinspike on the Boye, so I can't say if it works better or worse than a round one.

I thought you'd never ask. Sam McDowell from Seki City stainless. The spike locks/unlocks with the loop.

Attachments

• 20231211_183121.jpg
    20231211_183121.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231211_183208.jpg
    20231211_183208.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back