Seeking Hawaii Restaurant Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
I'm in Honolulu on Oahu, working remotely, thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had recommendations for good restaurants—dives and/or moderately priced joints.

I was born and raised here—have my personal faves, but looking to find places off my radar. Restaurant listings in the local press are useless—the state doesn't have any food critics I'd bank on. Friends and family in Hawaii, tend to judge restaurants by portion size, rather than quality.

FWIW, my faves are Ethel's Grill, Roy's (Hawaii Kai), Helena's, Liliha Bakery (original location), Palace Saimin, Side Street Inn (original location).

Bring it!

It’s not under the radar at all, but I’ve had amazing meals at The Pig and the Lady. Very sad about Piggy Smalls closing.

Also had great meals at I-Naba Soba and Rangoon Burmese. And I’m somewhat obsessed with the hojicha soft serve at Nana’s Green Tea. I too love Helena’s.

Last edited:
It’s not under the radar at all, but I’ve had amazing meals at The Pig and the Lady. Very sad about Piggy Smalls closing.

Also had great meals at I-Naba Soba and Rangoon Burmese. I too love Helena’s.
Cheers! Thanks for the reminder, been wanting to eat at Pig & The Lady for years!
Walked by Rangoon on the last trip, haven’t heard of I-Naba Soba, will look it up.

...wait, actually I've been to the i-naba in Koko Marina when they were doing their soft launch! Had a good meal there.
https://inabahonolulu.com/koko-i-naba-hawaii-kai/

Drive north of hono to buzzs steak house in kailua. Nice drive, cruise the neighborhood strip where the stars live, read up on the battle of nu uane and stop off at the site on the way.

Last edited:
Maguro-ya is a good place to eat for izakaya style food and I second Pig and Lady. If you're willing to drive out, Romy's is some good shrimp. I've heard good things about Tonkatsu Tamafuji and Yakitori Ando (I really want to go here actually).

Btw, while you're down there you can check out AFrame Tokyo in person. He's a nice guy, but not very expressive.

Last edited:
Maguro-ya is a good place to eat for izakaya style food and I second Pig and Lady. If you're willing to drive out, Romy's is some good shrimp. I've heard good things about Tonkatsu Tamafuji and Yakitori Ando (I really want to go here actually).

Btw, while you're down there you can check out AFrame Tokyo in person. He's a nice guy, but not very expressive.
Cheers. I usually pop in to see Takeshi at Aframes, and also to buy aku or akule, etc. Love that market.

I think my 2 faves were Nami Kaze (Japanese fusion brunch) and Koko Head Cafe (more normal yuppie brunch but more Hawaii inspired).
Tamafuji is very good. I liked Kamitoku ramen because it's the only place I've heard of with gyukotsu ramen besides Matador, and it's pretty well done.

I think my 2 faves were Nami Kaze (Japanese fusion brunch) and Koko Head Cafe (more normal yuppie brunch but more Hawaii inspired).
Tamafuji is very good. I liked Kamitoku ramen because it's the only place I've heard of with gyukotsu ramen besides Matador, and it's pretty well done.
Second on Tamafuji although it's not really a dive or (too) moderately priced.

Hawaiian food: Kehau's Kitchen Aiea, Get the local Boy plate, beef stew is also really good. They also supposedly serve authentic Mexican food but I didn't have a chance to try. Go in less busy hours as the space is small and a lot of people from the base lunch here.

Korean Food: Kim Chee Restaurant #7. If Kehau's is too full this is right next to it. It's kinda localized for Hawaiian taste, not really like the korean food on the mainland, but I liked it.

My local fav is Sam's Delicatessen on Nuuanu. It's like korean/local fusion. Probably nothing too special but I love the flavor and portion. Really like the side dishes.

Dives/moderately priced? Roy's?

I grew up there myself. Although it's been awhile. All those places you mention are great. I used to like John Dominis for a fine dining experience, but it looks like it has been replaced with 53 by the Sea. Don't know anything about that place.

Mitsu-Ken for garlic chicken bento boxes.

Don't forget the Leonard's Malasadas and the Royal Kitchen Manapua's, Chow Fun, and Rice Cake.

*almost forgot the shave ice from Waiola Shave Ice.

Last edited:
Dives/moderately priced? Roy's?

I grew up there myself. Although it's been awhile. All those places you mention are great. I used to like John Dominis for a fine dining experience, but it looks like it has been replaced with 53 by the Sea. Don't know anything about that place.

Mitsu-Ken for garlic chicken bento boxes.

Don't forget the Leonard's Malasadas and the Royal Kitchen Manapua's, Chow Fun, and Rice Cake.

*almost forgot the shave ice from Waiola Shave Ice.
Ah, John Dominis was awesome, taken there a few times when a teenager—great seafood, pricey. I'd mentioned Roy's because it's near where I grew up—used to hangout there downstairs, have a glass of wine, and nosh on their bread/butter; maybe share an appetizer.

Ah, John Dominis was awesome, taken there a few times when a teenager—great seafood, pricey. I'd mentioned Roy's because it's near where I grew up—used to hangout there downstairs, have a glass of wine, and nosh on their bread/butter; maybe share an appetizer.
Gotcha. Roy's is good. The ones under original ownership (Hawaii locations and Pebble Beach, CA) anyway.

I grew up on the opposite (rougher and poorer) side of the island...:)

Gotcha. Roy's is good. The ones under original ownership (Hawaii locations and Pebble Beach, CA) anyway.

I grew up on the opposite (rougher and poorer) side of the island...:)
Some of my fave joints are in Kalihi—Palace Saimin, Ray’s Cafe, Ethel’s…

For some reason I missed the part where you said you grew up in Honolulu, sorry. When did you leave?

Going to throw in Tori Ton, Million 2, and Yanagi sushi.
Left decades ago, but visit every year—trying to find stuff I've overlooked. Million and Yanagi are good. Would love to find a sustainable sushi joint here. I'm sorted with the typical plate lunch scene, and Hawaiian—not found good Mexican, Italian, Indian.

A67BB687-A8AC-4EE5-A87B-4EA311B19F4A.jpg

Yesterday

831A709E-0639-4253-B92B-8610CBC01D48.jpg

Today

Left decades ago, but visit every year—trying to find stuff I've overlooked. Million and Yanagi are good. Would love to find a sustainable sushi joint here. I'm sorted with the typical plate lunch scene, and Hawaiian—not found good Mexican, Italian, Indian.

View attachment 236963
Yesterday

View attachment 236962
Today
I'm not sure what camera or phone you got, but that gravy looks amazing!

I've recently been visiting every year because I married a girl from there and her family is still local. I'm not sure if you will find good Mexican food, at least relative to the standards that you would pick up in the mainland (particularly California). I went to Cafe Maharani with my wife and her friends, I thought it was good, but maybe Google reviews say otherwise. Downed two mango lassis in one sitting. And now that you got me going, King of Thai Boat Noodles (Thai) and Chengdu Taste (Chinese)

And hoping for a trade here, do you have a grill your own meat KBBQ place? Used to go to Choi's Garden, but they closed down last year.

I'm not sure what camera or phone you got, but that gravy looks amazing!

I've recently been visiting every year because I married a girl from there and her family is still local. I'm not sure if you will find good Mexican food, at least relative to the standards that you would pick up in the mainland (particularly California). I went to Cafe Maharani with my wife and her friends, I thought it was good, but maybe Google reviews say otherwise. Downed two mango lassis in one sitting. And now that you got me going, King of Thai Boat Noodles (Thai) and Chengdu Taste (Chinese)

And hoping for a trade here, do you have a grill your own meat KBBQ place? Used to go to Choi's Garden, but they closed down last year.
With Mexican food, I’d lived in the SF Mission District for 8 years, and got some family in LA—I’m a bit of a snob regarding Mexican food; not found anything that satisfies me in Hawaii; and in NYC generally, unless I trek to Sunset Park, Brooklyn. In Hawaii, loved Taco Bell, and a couple of local Mex joints (the now defunct La Hacienda; Mama’s in Hawaii—when younger.
My brother likes Alejandro’s on Kapahulu, but I’ve not tried it.

not found anything that satisfies me in Hawaii
My mom was in Hawaii recently and she really liked Tiki Tacos but they're on Kauaʻi. They make all their tortillas by hand and the owner/cook is from Mexico, but I can't remember which part. My mom is Mexican herself and was quite surprised to find another Mexican running a taco shop in Hawaii haha

My mom was in Hawaii recently and she really liked Tiki Tacos but they're on Kauaʻi. They make all their tortillas by hand and the owner/cook is from Mexico, but I can't remember which part. My mom is Mexican herself and was quite surprised to find another Mexican running a taco shop in Hawaii haha
Yeah, I’m certain there’s a vast improvement with the Mexican food standards since I’ve lived in the islands. Think part of the issue are—not enough of a Mexican population in Hawaii to keep kitchens honest; local cooks maybe lack the taste vocabulary; restaurants catering to local preferences; unavailability of key ingredients. Don’t know Tiki Tacos—I’ve only been to Kauai a couple of times.

Cheers all!

Quite a good list, a bunch of places off my radar, as well as ones I'm familiar with. Asterisks on those that immediately piqued my interests.
BTW, a few days ago I ate at Scratch Kitchen—a new Southern themed joint in Hawaii Kai—during their soft launch. Sadly, their chicken 'n' waffle a major disappointment—who buries chicken 'n' waffle under a pile of arugula?; my order arrived in 2 minutes (suggesting it was not cooked to order); over-easy egg arrived over-well; etc. Absurd plating sensibilities. I wish them luck.

===

*The Pig and the Lady (Chinatown), Vietnamese
*Rangoon Burmese (Chinatown)
Royal Kitchen (Chinatown), Chinese
Sam's Delicatessen (Nuuanu), Korean
Doner Shack

I-Naba Soba (McCully), Japanese
Nana’s Green Tea (Waikiki)
*Tonkatsu Tamafuji (Kapahulu), Japanese
Kamitoku Ramen (Ward), Japanese
Million 2 (Ala Moana), Korean
*Yanagi sushi (Ala Moana), Japanese