• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS - EU Selling 240mm Toyama Gyuto Special

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyfish

Reaction score
Details

Maker: Shuji Toyama
Blade length: 244mm from the tip to the bottom of the heel
Height at heel: 53mm
Weight: 222g
Steel: stainless clad blue 2
Price: 650€ including shipping within mainland Europe

Description

I'm putting my Toyama gyuto up for sale because I have two knives from Toyama and want to downsize. I wrote 'special' in the title, because this knife has been modified by me to make it a better fit for my preferences. The modifications included:
  • Installing a new handle made from macassar ebony and stabilized maple burl
  • Rounding and polishing the choil and spine
  • Giving the blade a light thinning with the goal of further easing the shoulder on the right blade face
  • Thinning the tip so that it is better suited to detail work
  • Refinishing the blade so that it looks good again
I documented the vast majority of these modifications in the posts linked below for anyone who is interested. Important to note is that all of the modifications to the blade were made with the goal of maintaining the original essence of the knife, so it is still very much a Toyama knife, but with a nicer handle, a better fit and finish and a more versatile tip.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chefknives/s/yx5RR70jHB

Please not that I removed the patina using Flitz in preparation for the sale and this dulled the edge, so the knife will need a sharpen before it is usable.

To be fully transparent, I payed 450€ for the knife originally and the increased price reflects the improvements described above. It's also worth mentioning that the listed price is cheaper than what a new one would cost from JNS (if they were actually in stock), and I feel the nicer handle, thinner tip and more refined finish make this a better buy.

Pictures

DSCF1306.JPG
DSCF1281.JPG
DSCF1250.JPG
DSCF1289.JPG
DSCF1292.JPG

DSCF1293.JPG
DSCF1297.JPG

Balance point:

DSCF1300.JPG

Polished choil:

DSCF1314.JPG

Rounding on the choil and spine:

DSCF1310.JPG

I just wanna say... I went down the rabbit hole in your imgur post, following the links deeper and deeper, and wow! I learned SO MUCH! If y'all want one of the most detailed and well-documented thinning process experiences, dig in!

Also, someone buy this expertly thinned Toyama haha
Me too. That was a good read. I’m in a same situation as @Martyfish, two Toyamas and trying to be disciplined. I’m still very much interested. Being EU only helps, lol. Hope someone buys this beauty soon.
Good luck with the sale!

Last edited:
Is the weight (222g) post thinning weight? Do you happen to have some thickness measurements?
Yep, 222g is the post thinning weight and of that 222g, the blade weighs 178g and the handle 44g. All of the specs listed in the post and the embedded pictures represent the current condition of the knife. The thinning and refinishing was performed in the past and although the knife has changed very little since then, the images in those 2 linked posts are not completely representative of the current condition.

I don't own a calliper, so I can't offer any thickness measurements I'm afraid. It's still thin behind the edge and cuts well, but it's somewhere between a midweight and workhorse grind. The choil shot illustrates the geometry pretty well imo.

Back