Shapton Glass set, new experience.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HC is smoother and will give high(er) polished edges. Also HC surface is easier to maintain if I think of it now. What's your concern?
Thanks. Have only tried coarse ones from the HR series, essentially with carbons. Fast and aggressive, hardly a problem when the purpose is to have a lot of steel to get removed.

@kayman67 What are the most obvious drawbacks from using the HC stones on medium/high alloy steels and stainless steels -- in other words, using the HC stones precisely for what the HR stones are intended, if my understanding is correct -- in your experience?

To date, they hold their own very well. They are just different, with a higher bias towards polishing while they don't "sharpen" as fast. If you expect to dish a lot faster, they don't. I was expecting that and just didn't happen.

I keep glass 1k and 4k in the kitchen. I can whip them out for a quick touch up if need be without setting up my regular sharpening station. I set them on my mounted King 6k so I have room to work, a wet paper towel keeps them from slip/sliding. I finish with a few strokes on the King then strop. 10-15 minutes tops for two, or three blades depending on condition. I like the glass stones they are splash and go and dry quickly.

I found several micro chips in my Goko W#1 gyuto yesterday and got all but the worst one out in @ five minutes. That was while I had pork chops in the sous vide so very convenient.

I am starting seriously to consider 500, 2000 and 4000 myself to be honest ...

I am on my third SG 500 and second 2000. I go through a 500 every 3 years or so. The 2k would have lasted me decades but I dropped one a few years ago and had to replace it. They are my workhorses. My 4k and 8k are 10 years old and going strong. I have started adding quite a few more stones to my collection over the last year or two but there isn't really anything I can't do (at least as far as edges are concerned) with the SG 500, 2k, 4k. For polishing they aren't great. They are too bright and shiny for doing anything hazy or with strong contrast. But at the same time they are pretty hard so they tend to leave a streaky finish that isn't great for mirror either.

I am starting seriously to consider 500, 2000 and 4000 myself to be honest ...

DO IT!!

get the 500 double thick from dictum.
also the 3k is like, god damn! i think the 3k is the best glass stone they make. i love them all though.

I am on my third SG 500 and second 2000. I go through a 500 every 3 years or so. The 2k would have lasted me decades but I dropped one a few years ago and had to replace it. They are my workhorses. My 4k and 8k are 10 years old and going strong. I have started adding quite a few more stones to my collection over the last year or two but there isn't really anything I can't do (at least as far as edges are concerned) with the SG 500, 2k, 4k. For polishing they aren't great. They are too bright and shiny for doing anything hazy or with strong contrast. But at the same time they are pretty hard so they tend to leave a streaky finish that isn't great for mirror either.

good to know the long term durability from a known poweruser!

I also use my glass most of all stones. its just so quick to use them. no soaking no nothing, i just literally splash some water on there and start hogging. done. and then when done i can put them back in the drawer etc after like 10-30 minutes. whats not to like?

I have lots of shapton stones and to be honest i dont think any one of them produce any mirror finish at all. not even the pro 12k. these are not polishing stones imo. i think the glass 8k hc made a better mirror then the 12k pro to be honest. or at the very least very close.

sure i have not tried the 16k glass or the 2 different 30 k's. and i'm not going to either. the 16k is mixed grit from 2k up to 16k so it will never ever produce any mirror finish not even theoretically.
I have crox paste (hand american) if i want mirror polish. and its probably better than any stone at doing that.

i think the high grit ones leave a consistent fine hazy finish though. i dont see any of my stones leave streaks that ruins the finish, whatever it now might be. not even the pro ones i have.

what about a 500 double thick and a 3k? thats good for SS.
if you wanna do carbon also then add the gray 6k hc?
the 6k gray is also a seriously good f-ing stone.

or maybe the 1k and the 3k. but you can just as well use the 1k pro if you already have it.

i gave my cousin the 500 and the 3k and it was a match made in heaven imo. he has a cryoed mac that i gave him and then some cheaper 20-50€, SS knives. and this combo worked very well and fast.

with that being said. at the 4k mark with the glass stones. then it turns very very sharp. the 3k does not really get there.

the 3k is good for all non powder ss since this is kind their max level of practical "holdable" sharpness.
the 4k is good/better for powder ss and carbon.

so i simply suggest you get both. and the 500. :)

i like the feeling of the 3k much more though. and the 3k does not clog up. but the 4k does. thats the price you pay for that extra sharpness. its at the pivot point where this happens.

i already owned the 2k and the 4k for several years when i borrowed one of my coworkers 3k. used it for maybe 30 seconds and then i knew i had to have it.

knivesandtools.com might be worth a try for some of them and if a combo deal applies, prices get really really good for SG stones. Always my source. I've recommended them so many times, I should get commission or something :)

I have some info on Nano Hone 400 (dictum sells this) compared to SG 500. NH is faster (one really fast bevel setter, unexpected) and more consistent, giving a better edge/finish to work with, if that matters for anything. I want to buy the coarser 200 version though.

There aren't that many options for this form.

I have the 220 pro and the 220 glass. i think the glass is faster and stay flatter. but you only get like 7mm abrasive. if you try using the pro220 until its finished i think it would crack in half at about 5mm so the difference is not that great. i simply glued 2 220 pros together so i can use them all up.

My experience with the glass is that they all behave pretty similar, its just the grit thats changing. I really like the glass stones. I think the 500 (double thick)-1-2-3-4-6k (hc) are really nice.
Can i know where did you biy the glass stone?

I have found that foam sanding blocks can be perfect for refreshing migaki finishes like your knives have. Just use light strokes parallel to the scratches that are on the surface already. Take your time and it will look 100x better.

Back