Sharpening motion - side-to-side instead of forward-backward?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sharpen like that. Had a unlisted video I uploaded a while ago where it shows:

Didn't understand a word of it Robin! But no matter... I could listen to people speaking Swedish all day long, it's a gorgeous sounding language.

(Do Swedish people realise that? Honestly - something about the cadence of it is just absolutely lovely to the anglophone ear).

Didn't understand a word of it Robin! But no matter... I could listen to people speaking Swedish all day long, it's a gorgeous sounding language.

(Do Swedish people realise that? Honestly - something about the cadence of it is just absolutely lovely to the anglophone ear).
You should hear him drunk, in the bathroom, talking into a microphone.

Yeah, fair point. The Rhino is a bit of an odd / atypical example tbh.

What you say raises another significant consideration in all this, which @HumbleHomeCook also hinted at above: Sideways sweeps are probably not an ideal way to sharpen larger knives that have a significant flat-ish section to the profile. Because you'd almost certainly get different edge angles along the straight part, and probably over time end up sharpening a belly into it too.
I don't understand your reasoning on side ways sweeps and straight blades. As long as the handle isn't lifted or lowered the bevel angle will stay the same, or I'm not fully understanding what you are saying?

Back