Sharpening Shigefusa Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lively discussion and very interesting to read about the wide range of experiences. Other than the 2nd/3rd hand Shigs I acquired, I never had issues with the initial edge on virgin ‘Shigs’. I put on a micro edge and they all have been ready to go, no issues whatsoever.

Same, I had 3 new Shigs guyto, petty and a yanagiba and I hadnt any complaints and in all 3 the initial edge was really sharp. I just add a micro edge.

I am truly impressed Shiggy's impeccable fit and finish. Mine also has perfect balance with 229g. let me some work on stones and see how it cuts. It looks like very positive after some work.

My experience was the same as the one from y32dsm. My 210 gyuto came without sharp edge. I was also amazed as everybody was saying that it comes with super sharp edge.

No problem I just took it to the stones and it was fine!

But for me this is a norm, majority of J knives came without really sharp edge: Akifusa, Heiji, Blazen, Yoshikane, Masashi Kobo
The exceptions were Miyabi (that was advertised as honbazuke) and Watanabe which was ultra sharp.

It's not surprising you're buying a knife which is not for beginners. It's conceivable that unsharpened ones mix in with sharpened ones. If you are buying shig you shouldn't have trouble setting a bevel or six... Unless you just collect :p

Back