Sharpening trouble shooting!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerreemon

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Looking for some help here...i've been sharpening knives for around 3 yrs now...and think I have a decent grasp on it...or thought i did at least.

I've been sharpening my Sakai Jikko Akebono 210mm gyuto (only the 3rd time its been sharpened) for almost 20 mins now (push pull) and have JUST developed a burr on 1 side, i lost count of how many passes i did. The edge was in ok condition pre sharpening. Sharpening angle was ~18-20 degrees. Attached photo shows the side i have been working on.

I am stumped as to why this has taken so long to develop a burr!!

I am using a Cerax 1000, i have a suehiro 330...didn't think i would have needed to use it on this due to the condition of the edge prior to sharpening.

Is there something obvious that i am not doing?! Any1 have any tips?

Feel like a real noob here.

Cheers,

J

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 145
Try the sharpie trick. It should tell you whether or not you were hitting the edge or not. It sounds like you probably had your angle too shallow and were not removing metal near the edge so it took a while, basically thinning, before you developed the burr.

I don't know.I would think 18 to 20 degrees would have been more then enough to hit the edge but sure thing,I think the sharpie is in order here.

Since its a relatively new knife it, shld n0t be thick...

possibility
a) you are not removing steel fast enough .. could be your pressure is too low.. some people clock in abt 1 kg per stroke.. that is for finishing. an average stroke shld clock in abt 4 to 6kg with ease.

Wow, I had the exact same experience with my akebono 240. I was at my wit's end after spending an hour on the thing, never even getting close to a good edge.

I ended up taking it to 140 grit sandpaper taped to a flat aluminum block I have. I finally raised a burr and thinned the knife quite a bit. From there, I moved to 400 and 800 sandpaper, then back to the stones, starting at 1000, then 3000. It was good after that.

I was so mad at that knife that I decided to sell it.

Moral is, just keep working at it.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Odd, I wonder if any1 else has problems sharpening their Akebono. Seems odd that it would be a prob considering its steel.

I ended up taking it to my 330 whetstone, but still struggled to get an even burr on the medial side. Was worried about taking too much steel off so I just stopped and treated it as if the burr had formed. Gah...infuriating.

Sharpened my misono Swedish steel gyuto on my Cerax 1000...burr after 7 passes.

If your angle was above 20 degrees then you were not hitting the edge. You probably were removing metal before you got to the edge.

Back