SHAVE OF THE DAY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which blades do you use? shaving cream or soap? I don't know anything about this stuff

if u want blades that cutts very good get the feather. shaving cream or soap well it dosen't matter aslong as you get a good quality brand like, TOBS,Dr.Harris,Proraso,Razorock,GTF,La Toja. and so on. its more down to what scent you like and if you want to face lather or bowl lather, face lather, then getting a soap can be good cuz thay take abit more time to work a good lather witch is good while you swirling around and soften up the whiskars in the face. a cream is easier to lather.

if u want blades that cutts very good get the feather. shaving cream or soap well it dosen't matter aslong as you get a good quality brand like, TOBS,Dr.Harris,Proraso,Razorock,GTF,La Toja. and so on. its more down to what scent you like and if you want to face lather or bowl lather, face lather, then getting a soap can be good cuz thay take abit more time to work a good lather witch is good while you swirling around and soften up the whiskars in the face. a cream is easier to lather.

Thanks for the info!

Even though I am lucky and don't have to shave every day or even every other day...I am getting really tired of trying to find the best RAZOR between the Shicks and Fusions so much money being thrown around there....I was reading someones review on amazon about the Merkur and they said how they spent like 1400 dollars a year on replacement heads for the Mach 3...that some dough I can save and spend on some more knives ;)

I use the Feather platinium.Got a sample pac first & used blades from quite a few countries trying them out.The feather blades are from Japan.Bought a pac. of 50 blades of the feathers it will take a long time to use them up,because now I take the blade out of the razor & wash it after every shave & they seem to last even longer.

I've used canned cream & hard soap & brush.I like lathering in a mug,but need a better brush.I bought a cheap one to start off waste of money.Should have gotton a quality brush to start with.Ended up ordering a Savile Row 3824 at a site in the USA called Qedusa.

I use the Feather platinium.Got a sample pac first & used blades from quite a few countries trying them out.The feather blades are from Japan.Bought a pac. of 50 blades of the feathers it will take a long time to use them up,because now I take the blade out of the razor & wash it after every shave & they seem to last even longer.

I've used canned cream & hard soap & brush.I like lathering in a mug,but need a better brush.I bought a cheap one to start off waste of money.Should have gotton a quality brush to start with.Ended up ordering a Savile Row 3824 at a site in the USA called Qedusa.

Ok before I just start going and buying stuff and make the full conversion to DE shaving what do you think I should get exact things and what site?

First and foremost the razor Merkur or Ikon?

Which Brush?

Lotion/Soap?

For someone trying to switch over that just doesnt wan't to rush into it if you know what I mean...You said you bought cheap and regret it I dont want to buy the best but also not the worst if you get what I am saying

Many of the quality brushes are made in Europe.The Qedusa site has many soap & mug combo's & alot of brushes.I am not an expert on brushes,ordered the Savile Row 3824 because of high recomm.

As I said like the Merkur 3 piece long handle chrome finish.Good Razor that doesnt cost too much.Don't know how long the plate will last,been using mine for a while & clean it on a regular basis.Still looks like new.Mine came wt. some German blades.

The DE blade variety pac is also cheap I am glad I followed advice to get it because diff. people like diff. blades that way you can decide by what you like best.

They also sell the stands that hold the brush & razor.The one I bought is chrome plate.Inexpensive looks & works well,I clean it too because the plate looks cheap & imagine it will pitt wt. time.

You don't have to spend much to start,don't have to spend as much as I did for a brush,but stay away from the cheap ones.

what is the cheapest/best site for DE Shaving supplies besides amazon....

Feathers are actually too sharp for me, but I don't have the toughest skin in the world. I like the NOS Russian Super Iridiums.

Razor's: Heljestrand MK30 Pair Ivory/T-Shell
Brush: Kent BK8
Cream: GFT Spanish Leather
AS: Dr.Harris Sandalwood

Haven't had a proper shave in a while, so this was a real treat.

DSC03302_zpsaf69754e.jpg

what is the cheapest/best site for DE Shaving supplies besides amazon....

I might as well be a website because of my extensive collection. Let me know what you want, or how much you want to spend and I could send you a goody box.

I also use the feathers and wash them after every shave. last quite a while. Yeah, crappy brushes suck.

Hey man just trying to start out nothing to great or terrible

Have you browsed Lefty's site? His Brooklyn to London soap is very nice and at one time he had some bowls made by Tom Grey Pottery (a fellow kkf'er). He also has quite a few brushes...I'm sure he would be happy to help you get started.

I also recommend trying a bunch of blades to see what you like. Feather's are definitely sharp, but I prefer Personna-Medical-Prep blades or Derby's. I've bought double edge blades from this site because they offer quite a few sample size packages. When you find what you like you can probably find them in 100 packs for a very reasonable price.

Good luck, I transitioned to double edge about a year ago and just bought my first straight razor. I believe the slope is quite slippery. :D

Back to topic...

Cheers!

Razor is old made by Kirschbaum
Brush is badger?
Soap is RazoRock Third Eye

PA240746_zps2779aceb.jpg

Feathers here too. Leave them in the DE until it is time for a new one. Last a loooooong time, but I also use a straight about every other shave.

Razor: Max Sprecher 10/8 Custom
Brush: Mr.Skull 2band
Cream: TOBS Mr.Taylor
AS: TOBS Mr.Taylor

Sweet.

DSC01727_zpsd35d9c08.jpg

Thanks Magnus. This Kamisori is made by Henkotsu. 1" tall at tip. 2" shaving base. 6 3/4" overall length. Everytime I shave with it its like a ritual blood letting day. Had it for almost two years, only shaved with it 4 times. It likes to get stuck in the outer coverings of my skull, it also likes to slice things off my head which I do not wish to be sliced off.

Thanks Magnus. This Kamisori is made by Henkotsu. 1" tall at tip. 2" shaving base. 6 3/4" overall length. Everytime I shave with it its like a ritual blood letting day. Had it for almost two years, only shaved with it 4 times. It likes to get stuck in the outer coverings of my skull, it also likes to slice things off my head which I do not wish to be sliced off.

LOLz

Knife: Harner/Mclane Parer
Brush: M&F l7
Cream: Dr.Harris Windsor
ASB: Bulldog
EDT: Dr.Harris Windsor

Yepp this one gave a BBS result :)

DSC01742_zps2c62944a.jpg

yes a few words are always nice of how it went and what you used :)

Hey Mr Magnus - I was looking at trying a straight razor. Anything you recommend for a beginner that's not too expensive?

Knife: Parer From Harner&Mclean
Brush: Mr.Skull
Soap: RazoRock Classic
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Fun shave, smal nick from the crazy point thou :)

Enjoy, Watch in HD
[video=youtube;w4VWeXMNslg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4VWeXMNslg&feature=youtu.be[/video]​

Knife: Parer From Harner&Mclean
Brush: Mr.Skull
Soap: RazoRock Classic
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Fun shave, smal nick from the crazy point thou :)

Enjoy, Watch in HD
[video=youtube;w4VWeXMNslg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4VWeXMNslg&feature=youtu.be[/video]​

That was... BADASS! and tempting me to try it!

Back