• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Shi.han and Isasmedjan 240 gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I'm selling my last two fancy gyutos. These made it through some good rounds of intense gyuto battles. They're both completely awesome. I'll post details about the knives in the OP, then devote the next two posts to pics.

-----

Shi.han 240mm gyuto

This is one of his wrought iron clad ones. Maybe it's just the amazing back-of-the-house patina it had on it when I got it, but it's so unreactive with the patina it's hard to believe it's iron clad. This is not like your typical Y Tanaka iron clad blade. The wrought is also beautiful. I was told that someone asked Shehan whether it was W2 or white #2, and he didn't remember, but whatever it is, it's great to sharpen and holds a good edge. The grind is nice and thin behind the edge; it's the only Shi.han gyuto I've tried, but I kind of imagine this one has a thinner grind than most given what people say about how they cut. Anyway, I've listed this knife as my pick on one of those "what's your favorite knife" threads, and I meant it. This one has had a couple KKF owners, I think. @soigne_west sold it to me, and I think maybe @MrHiggins had it at some point? I don't remember though. Anyway, the grind's in great shape. It has kind of a working ~1k finish on the lower third of the knife since I thinned it slightly when I got it, but it'd be a great candidate for kasumi if that's your jam. I never polished it myself, but it has enough of a shinogi at the top that you can give the whole blade road a stone polish without screwing up finish near the spine.

Heel to tip: 251mm
Height: 55mm
Weight: 236mm
Handle: don't know the wood. maybe it's thermory? although it's different from the thermory handle on a petty I tried. dunno.
Steel: wrought iron cladding over W2(?)

Selling it for $425 shipped CONUS

Isasmedjan 240mm gyuto

This one was sold to me by Jonas (@Isasmedjan) a few months ago. Initially, it was owned by someone else, who sent it back because the kurouchi was falling off. (Jonas says he was trying out a new experimental way of putting on ku.) Jonas then removed the offending kurouchi, refurbished the knife and sold it to me. I sharpened it once soon after I got it, and it has a nice patina, but other than that it's in the same condition as when it left Sweden. The knife has a great workhorse grind with good distal taper. Food release is excellent. It'll crack hard carrots and apples a little bit (not quite a bbrrrrrrap, more of a brap), but it's a total pleasure to use. In particular, there's enough distal taper that even stuff like horizontal onion swipes is nice and easy. The steel is fantastic. Hard, keeps a great edge for a long time. Great knife, great look, great maker. If you don't have one, you should buy this one. If you don't buy this one, you need to at least get on his custom list whenever it's open. (That is, unless you want to buy a Serbian Cleaver. He's a little over them. Ssh.) Anyway, I'm having a hard time selling this one, even harder than the Shi.han to tell you the truth, although I've had that one longer. Comes with an awesome saya.

Heel to tip: 238mm
Height: 53mm
Weight: 213mm
Handle and Saya: bog oak
Steel: 1.2159 core, reactive cladding.

Selling it for $450 shipped CONUS.

Shihan pics

2FD530E6-6B11-4BE6-BF7F-5D913BDA3690.jpg

IMG_4229.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

IMG_4231.jpeg

IMG_4232.jpeg