Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aframes just listed Shig 210mm kasumi azumagata usuba with saya. It has a lot of cloud to boot, I think.

Another is 255mm kasumi yanagiba.

Maybe if you use a French accent on the phone, it might help. All kidding aside, take the Kitaeji Santoku, listed for 545 EUR, which comes to 580 USD ex shipping. Japanwoodworker had one available earlier this year for 367 USD including shipping. There are several of these site across Europe that sell Shigs for at least a 150 to 200 euro premium. Another such example from a Dutch online shop: Shigefusa Kasumi Yanagiba 360mm for 795 USD ex shipping.

Maybe if you use a French accent on the phone, it might help. All kidding aside, take the Kitaeji Santoku, listed for 545 EUR, which comes to 580 USD ex shipping. Japanwoodworker had one available earlier this year for 367 USD including shipping. There are several of these site across Europe that sell Shigs for at least a 150 to 200 euro premium. Another such example from a Dutch online shop: Shigefusa Kasumi Yanagiba 360mm for 795 USD ex shipping.

I would have to agree the prices were standout definitely a premium over some other websites. Though I believe we get to knock about 20%-25% off for VAT so total price is closer to $435-$450 ex shipping. All but the Western are priced a bit higher. The western with the VAT exclusion is a bit of a steal actually at $780-$800 for an integral Kitaeji Gytuo.

Do they speak English if I call them?

Definitely, François- Xavier Salle, the gentleman who runs the place, speaks English.

I would have to agree the prices were standout definitely a premium over some other websites. Though I believe we get to knock about 20%-25% off for VAT so total price is closer to $435-$450 ex shipping. All but the Western are priced a bit higher. The western with the VAT exclusion is a bit of a steal actually at $780-$800 for an integral Kitaeji Gytuo.

Don't forget to take VAT off some European sites. I just bought a Güde bread knife for a pretty good price from www.knives-from-germany.com. Price on that site already includes VAT and DHL shipping.

The yo kitaeji from La Passion des Couteaux was a great deal when I stumbled on it last year. Besides that it was hard to find, it was at a great price, despite Australian dollar dwindling.

v5ItB8jtTY4sj2TBKxQERvjf_dvT7bVWqXg6pT5oRhs5BcS28jsAnyGozp-1D9qoglasyjSLj_pN_eqf4YAHaPEkldaMenXmENhE06lqh50o87Msol9u77j6WU9rll8KeBpIhuaEbIq9ZD56v_NV_5d8Imx954eJk7xrmCRAsvmYx319JQfJl61MaXqCQwhT3L6CuAR9gWUvXLDAfLZ8tfzHrpN4revsBssvb_tgUlJ_6zJtOAYgh9Kz0H5ztwk87uL6Kx_acopCH-Ro1tbfPJMDSCItQheWSrIBhd76IciHHtlTQpPJOkTpbKCLaXLGElxjPHcFiEUyNXQVHtVygm1y2CgnfqgsiQ4XWuS1OUXuqnQ3DikDQW8EObQSIEnlstwVb2GxzU7mKjrdXYqQ7gHFdrVjGF9gnmPCNtgrRWtfqWp0oTTgCL3dfs2LkCdz0xw1FvolXvQUL3wkeaPh-IwjGwa_x4qHexXEcRT5234kkvOC1aLTph73Kplm9Js_PnQOGRbaJAqBY5_UBow2SvwGXqCTEBC7RbciAvkTfSk=s1280

Definitely, François- Xavier Salle, the gentleman who runs the place, speaks English.

Don't forget to take VAT off some European sites. I just bought a Güde bread knife for a pretty good price from www.knives-from-germany.com. Price on that site already includes VAT and DHL shipping.

The yo kitaeji from La Passion des Couteaux was a great deal when I stumbled on it last year. Besides that it was hard to find, it was at a great price, despite Australian dollar dwindling.

Yeah I have to say that Yo Kitaeji is a steal at that price! I'm drooling over it now. Curious on how you stumbled upon the site, I'm trying to see if I can uncover any other similar sites =p

The Santoku is also a pretty decent price after the VAT exclusion as it is the same price as Aframes who has some of the best prices around for Shigs

Does this mean I can unlock my 240 Kitaeji gyuto?

Is the pope an atheist? I'm still searching for the fabled unicorns.....I'm just too darned slow on the switch apparently. I still need a 240 and 270 Gyuto. :angel2:

better get two locks.....

Maybe if you use a French accent on the phone, it might help. All kidding aside, ...

Never quite sure where many people are from here, and in your case what 'CH' is (what you've listed as your location), and so not sure if the reference here will work. But your comment reminded me of odd goings on with Joey Barton when he was over in League 1, if you know who he is.

[video=youtube;dovfYaQoPoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dovfYaQoPoY[/video]

All right, another round of 210 mm knives, deba, mioroshi deba, and gyuto from JNS.

sigh, it's so hard to predict when Maksim puts up his Katos and Shigs... almost like a lottery getting one from him but for most Aussies, it's the best value in terms of shipping cost and minus VAT

sigh, it's so hard to predict when Maksim puts up his Katos and Shigs... almost like a lottery getting one from him but for most Aussies, it's the best value in terms of shipping cost and minus VAT

He often posts pics on Instagram prior to the email. So here's the hack.
Create an ig account that only follows JNS and have the notifications set so you get alerted when he posts anything. If you can even do that.

I've seen him post shig photos on Fb the last few days but it's hard to work out when exactly does he puts them online/sends email out.. It's almost like as if you have to be glued in front of the computer at all times refreshing your email account...I'm pretty sure the 2 gyuto sold out within 5 mins of the email going out. btw, what's the JNS IG account called?

I scored a Kato workhorse about 2 weeks back on my first try.. didn't realise it was that hard until now

... And prices keep on creeping up. No wonder M doesn't post on here anymore. He doesn't have to, with the instagram surveillance and so on. I'd say these are getting quite overpriced at this point.

Latest posts

Back