Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shigafusa does sub-optimal heat treatment and this thread should be an example of what to do when you buy such a knife.
Why would you say that? I would disagree, shig steel some of my favorite steel, excellent stuff.
If it was sub optimal I would not own one. Jedy approved. However I'm getting ideas from this thread...
Don’t you go becoming a Shig fu(k$r

Other likeminded projects.
D14C9D88-6DCE-4CDD-9A5F-8749D76BF99B.jpeg

1247A4CE-EC0B-48A6-808F-7D2F2BF6C145.jpeg

B5E5BCA8-27CC-4832-84FC-6D1FA7AC234B.jpeg

referencing the High Drama thread.

Indeed... I wrote to the Iizuka family... I said: "sick knives bro... but suboptimal HRC. For a knife in that price category they should be +2HRC higher. Trust me. Edge retention...."

Then I participated in a twitter war and started putting up posters around my neighborhood (on top of missing cat flyers) about how Shigefusa had doxxed me and .... edge retention....

Seriously... I have a friend. He'll back me up... he thinks Kato Kanji is childish... also edge retention

Dammit! I’d taken a short break from KKF, can’t believe I missed the ‘High Drama’ thread!
I said the same thing.... Well, idk i might have just been chilling in the sharpening station. Where no one has any super heated arguments, well, unless you talk about sharpening high mc carbide steels.

***Note: Not returning to knife hobby or forum, just stopping by one time for a looonnng overdue update. Will not be able to respond to questions, but wishing everyone doing well & enjoying a good start of 2023!***

I can’t believe I run into this thread several years later & it’s still going, lol.

Although I quit the forum & kitchen knife hobby almost 3 years, I still love this little Shig & use it almost daily, but more like a average person that beat up their knives, no babying it. I recently did a round of thinning, & didn’t even bother to polish it up.

However, I decided to stop by for a guest appearance for another reason. It’s for the big knife in the back, that’s Big Kato DIY I made after leaving the forum. Let me just clarify upfront, it’s not a Kato, rather, a DIY to produce a big heavy Kato like knife. I sold my real Kato but kept the DIY version, because it performed similarly to Kato WH but only cost $200.

The knife is 220mm long weight hefty 260g with beefy spine 5.5mm at handle, 4mm at heel, 3mm in middle & 1.1mm @ 1cm from tip. At 52mm tall, I made it taller than typical Kato because I like tall knives & the grind is edge to spine full convex.

The knife started it’s life as a well known brand 240mm Swedish steel Western Deba that had 10mm thick spine & weighted 500g, the amount of grinding work was about 5 times of what went into the Shig job. The steel is not super hard but tough, can act as a chicken splitter as it chops through chicken bones with ease. However, it chipped at chopping a Turkey leg, & I learned it’s limit.

FYI, here are some Big Kato geometries I collected & used as reference when making the DIY. One thing strikes me was that the amount of variations between these big Kato WH knives were huge, might explain why the difference of opinions out there on Kato?

Big Kato geometries 220-240mm:
Kato WH 218 mm: H 47mm, blade 218mm long, weight 193g. (low profile, light for a Kato)

Kato WH 220mm (Kurouchi Gyuto):
H 47 mm, L - Heel to Tip 220mm, Weight 220g. Handle/heel/mid/1 CM from tip:
6.0/5.0/2.8/1.3 mm (low profile)

Kato WH 230mm: H 49mm, L 230 mm, 250g. 5.7/5.0/2.8/1.0 = spine Handle/heel/mid/1 cm from tip.
(Tall Kato, good WH weight slightly over 1g/mm)

Kato WH 240mm - JNS: H 45mm, Heel to Tip Length- 240mm, 270 g. : Width of Spine Handle/heel/mid/1 cm from tip: 6mm/5mm/3mm/2mm
(low profile, hefty weight > 1g/mm)

Big Kato DIY target:
220mm long, > 50mm tall, ~6mm spine, full convex grind, hefty weight > 1g/mm.

Attachments

• 25632ACA-020E-4567-9B8E-916773E8283C.jpeg
    25632ACA-020E-4567-9B8E-916773E8283C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 4B2713F3-BB2A-48BD-AA41-CD20BE8C6F24.jpeg
    4B2713F3-BB2A-48BD-AA41-CD20BE8C6F24.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0AB39310-7DDD-45BC-A363-1F17ED2C2E6A.jpeg
    0AB39310-7DDD-45BC-A363-1F17ED2C2E6A.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 83A306E6-529E-473E-A0B4-B32707EB030A.jpeg
    83A306E6-529E-473E-A0B4-B32707EB030A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I can’t believe I run into this thread several years later & it’s still going, lol.

Although I quit the forum & kitchen knife hobby almost 3 years, I still love this little Shig & use it almost daily, but more like a average person that beat up their knives, no babying it. I recently did a round of thinning, & didn’t even bother to polish it up.

However, I decided to stop by for a guest appearance for another reason. It’s for the big knife in the back, that’s Big Kato DIY I made after leaving the forum. Let me just clarify upfront, it’s not a Kato, rather, a DIY to produce a big heavy Kato like knife. I sold my real Kato but kept the DIY version, because it performed similarly to Kato WH but only cost $200.

The knife is 220mm long weight hefty 260g with beefy spine 5.5mm at handle, 4mm at heel, 3mm in middle & 1.1mm @ 1cm from tip. At 52mm tall, I made it taller than typical Kato because I like tall knives & the grind is edge to spine full convex.

The knife started it’s life as a well known brand 240mm Swedish steel Western Deba that had 10mm thick spine & weighted 500g, the amount of grinding work was about 5 times of what went into the Shig job. The steel is not super hard but tough, can act as a chicken splitter as it chops through chicken bones with ease. However, it chipped at chopping a Turkey leg, & I learned it’s limit.

FYI, here are some Big Kato geometries I collected & used as reference when making the DIY. One thing strikes me was that the amount of variations between these big Kato WH knives were huge, might explain why the difference of opinions out there on Kato?

Kato WH 218 mm: H 47mm, blade 218mm long, weight 193g. (low profile, light for a Kato)

Kato WH 230mm: H 49mm, L 230 mm, 250g. 5.7/5.0/2.8/1.0 = spine Handle/heel/mid/1 cm from tip.

Kato WH 240mm - JNS: H 45mm, Heel to Tip Length- 240mm, 270 g. : Width of Spine Handle/heel/mid/1 cm from tip: 6mm/5mm/3mm/2mm

Big Kato DIY target:
He’s back!!

Big Kato DIY target:
Welcome back! Glad to see you around again.

Big Kato DIY target:
Welcome back!

I found your documentation of the shig and Damascus-to-kato modifications to be insightful. Did you happen to document this deba-to-Kato as well?

Big Kato DIY target:
The DIY kato looks great! And no Shigs were f()cked in the process.

Back