Shipping knife from Los Angeles to New York - USPS Priority, Fedex or UPS Ground?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the more indestructible knife shipments I received was in a PVC tube.

IMG_3279.jpeg

They provide an additional layer of protection and also add cushioning. Packages get dropped, kicked, bounced around, etc. The popcorn/peanuts/air bags are cheap "package protection enhancers".
Yes, but is using these (and the added volume / larger box) better than a layer of bubble wrap or styrofoam padding, which is thinner?

Yes, but is using these (and the added volume / larger box) better than a layer of bubble wrap or styrofoam padding, which is thinner?
The more padding and crush room, the better. The peanuts are nice because they have some empty space for crushing, while still providing protective padding.

If you want to go overboard, expanding foam would be ideal.

Yes, but as you said, the more crush room, the better if the bigger box and peanuts is feasible.

Idk, I’ve only gotten a couple of knives that were packaged badly. One of them was fine, the saya of the other was dented. But these were awful packing jobs, like the saya and knife box just placed in the big box with no padding or packing at all. Kinda think you should just pack it with some reasonably squishy stuff so nothing moved around in the package, and be done with it. I guess if you have super high value items it’s good to be extra careful though, and the price for extra big box will be negligible in comparison.

USPS - Cheapest, but as people have said, possibly a crapshoot in current climate. One good way to mitigate is to do your transaction over PayPal Goods & Services, make sure that the knife is shipped to the address linked to the buyer's verified PayPal account, and then enter the tracking information in PayPal after. This is supposed to make you eligible for PayPal seller protection. Or at least that was the protocol last time I checked. I think in theory this means that PayPal will cover the cost if something goes wrong with the shipment.

FedEx - Fast, reliable, responsive. And, of course, more expensive. If I ship a knife through FedEx I usually add a declared value to get shipping insurance. If it's a $300 knife and you're shipping across the US, then shipping usually comes to about $25 - $30-ish. Maybe a little more, depending. If you don't add declared value to the shipment, and chose to rely solely on PayPal seller protection instead, then it is a bit cheaper. Me, I like to load up protection both through PayPal and through FedEx just to cover my bases. Yes, it costs a bit more. But it's worth it to me not to have a BST transaction go awry. In the long run, nothing is more important on BST than your credibility as a seller. If you lose that, you might as well give up. So it's worth an extra $5 - $10 for me in a transaction.

UPS - No experience, sorry. But I imagine it's very similar to FedEx in a lot of ways.

Nobody asked about tape, do you prefer clear packing tape, opaque packing tape, duct tape, scotch tape, the tape with the strings in it? All the peanuts and foam in the world won't matter if the outside box doesn't stay closed.
;)

Back