Should I buy this Shiro Kamo AS?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tler

Reaction score
There's a memorial day 25% off sale right now at homebutcher (MEMDAY2022) and this Shiro Kamo Aogami Super 210 gyuto can be had for $120 total! I'm not supposed to be buying anything after a recent buying spree, but that's a pretty great deal for Aogami Super. I'm telling myself that this could be a great beater knife or one I can let family/friends use to experience Japanese steel. As a current Takeda owner and Denka owner in the near future, will I be disappointed with Kamo's aogami super? Will this just end up never getting used because I have more "premium" knives or will I gravitate towards it because I can use/abuse it without worry? Any advice on the Kamo is appreciated and any thoughts on having a lower end beater knife is also welcome. My current without worry knife is an old global.
Thanks in advance!

I have the Kamo nakiri AS and Im not getting another one. Its a nice one! At $125 I think its a good deal. If you are not going to use it then why buying? Just to sit there? Then dont! Shiro Kamo has a nice reputation. Its pretty thin too! I was surprised when I got mine.

They got pretty nice distal taper and thin grind, little bit concave but not bad. Honestly better than most stainless stuff you can get at this price point. His AS is not as hard as TF or Takeda but not bad.

Yes, sir. You should.

Great value knife. Not the best knife ever. But one of the best for the money.

I can't treally detect taper on my ones. The bevels on my gyutos look pretty flat but could be slightly concave (I haven't thinned them yet, so not 100% sure). The bevels on my suji are convex. My gyutos are very thin. My suji less so.

If you are only considering buying due to the code, be aware Homebutcher runs alot of discounts. This is the third 25% off code in about a month.
that's good to know. sounds like a solid purchase, but maybe I'll hold off on pulling the trigger at the moment. thanks everyone

Yes, sir. You should.

Great value knife. Not the best knife ever. But one of the best for the money.

I can't treally detect taper on my ones. The bevels on my gyutos look pretty flat but could be slightly concave (I haven't thinned them yet, so not 100% sure). The bevels on my suji are convex. My gyutos are very thin. My suji less so.
The gyuto I had is definitely concave, but not that extreme so some other example might be flatter, the taper is better than most other Echizen knife I had.

It's a really good value. The one I had was flat ground on both sides up to about 20mm shinogi. Behind the edge was decently thin, but with the flat grind, it gets a bit thick further up. Balance is very forward. Distal taper is moderate; not as aggressive as some of the sanjo knives. As you might expect at the price range, the fit and finish is not going to be top notch. For the price, you get a very durable knife that will perform well.

Back