Show me your Wabi-Sabi!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banzai_burrito

Reaction score
Hey y'all, while I love seeing new knives in pristine almost museum like conditions, I also want to see some wabi-sabi'd knives.

You know, the one you always reach for no matter what task, but especially dirty jobs! The one that's stuck you through thick and thin. Or even gifted to you from a predecessor who wielded it as a hard use tool.

Below is mine. Started off as a cai dao my aunt used, then sat neglected in a drawer for who knows how long. I have 0 clue about it apart from it being a cai dao, it is ss cladded with a mystery carbon, likely an SSS brand (some eBay seller has a similar knife, but no etching)

I sharpened it up to a working edge, sanded the choil and spine, and re-handled it (very amateur job). Wish I bought a thicker handle though.

IMG_20191214_125350.jpg
IMG_20191214_125548.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20191214125851303_COVER.jpg
IMG_20191214_125503.jpg
IMG_20191214_125401.jpg

This is a thin little Mac I found at a beach-side thrift shop for a couple bucks. I turned the rounded tip into a pointy k-tip, and converted it to a wa, wearing a recycled horn and ho handle.

This is hands down the only knife I will ever cut a tomato with.
Screenshot_2019-12-14-22-19-14~2.png

Hey y'all, while I love seeing new knives in pristine almost museum like conditions, I also want to see some wabi-sabi'd knives.

You know, the one you always reach for no matter what task, but especially dirty jobs! The one that's stuck you through thick and thin. Or even gifted to you from a predecessor who wielded it as a hard use tool.

Below is mine. Started off as a cai dao my aunt used, then sat neglected in a drawer for who knows how long. I have 0 clue about it apart from it being a cai dao, it is ss cladded with a mystery carbon, likely an SSS brand (some eBay seller has a similar knife, but no etching)

I sharpened it up to a working edge, sanded the choil and spine, and re-handled it (very amateur job). Wish I bought a thicker handle though.

Is that dark cladding line just a consequence of low temp forge welding? Is it any weaker, or just looks that way?

Is that dark cladding line just a consequence of low temp forge welding? Is it any weaker, or just looks that way?

Honestly, I have no clue. I want to say it was "patina" from being abused for however many years before I got a hold of it.

Back