Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me… I’ve had to do over many… many… times before getting to something near acceptable. Just keep at it and always remember to have fun. Can’t emphasise this enough ❤️
Agree 100%. I am assuming I'll get better with each attempt. I learned a tremendous amount, especially the limits lateral force on my files. :oops: I am finally doing my first handle with the dowel method, should be a game changer for me. I got a few attachments that will make the work cleaner too. I didn't start too big so I could find out what I do and don't need/want. I guess I may be learning something as I usually go and get something above average to start with, not knowing what I don't know. I have a ton of materials at my disposal, I just don't want to waste any.

Agree 100%. I am assuming I'll get better with each attempt. I learned a tremendous amount, especially the limits lateral force on my files. :oops: I am finally doing my first handle with the dowel method, should be a game changer for me. I got a few attachments that will make the work cleaner too. I didn't start too big so I could find out what I do and don't need/want. I guess I may be learning something as I usually go and get something above average to start with, not knowing what I don't know. I have a ton of materials at my disposal, I just don't want to waste any.
I suck at the dovel trick, so I just stuck with the old school way 😂 Bought drills in all kind of odd sizes.

From the name I'm guessing Knives and Guns is probably not a UK based operation. ;)
🤣

I actually bumped into our handle guy yesterday, and apparently the handles they're making from this wood are not going to be stabilized, and finished with some kind of wax rather than the osmo we use on most other stuff. So might try that too. Will report back...
Out of interest, which Osmo product do you guys mostly use? PolyX?

S!ht sorry. Didn’t see your comment and thank you very much 🙏

No worries. I just wish I was that good!

Out of interest, which Osmo product do you guys mostly use? PolyX?

Not sure exactly which off the top of my head. I’ll snap a picture of the tin when I’m in tomorrow.

When I was in Aus I used to use a very good range of hardwax oils that Carbatec have. I’d certainly recommend these if you’ve not tried…

https://www.carbatec.com.au/search?ProductSearch=Evolution hardwax

So I have discovered. Got some native Australian desert ironwood and some ziricote and I don’t care to admit how much I spent! Hope the handles come up alright!
Ah when I responded earlier I hadn't realized you also make handles haha. Yours are lovely! Very nice work.

Ok, first time doing the dowel method. I made a ton of mistakes, which was great for learning. My ferrule popped off right as I was mounting it. It was at the glued g-10 and wood. I kept having problems with the Titebond sticking to the G10. Going to use epoxy next time. I did my beat to stick the landing after that mishap, I got epoxy everywhere and had to resand the handle but it looks ok, but the tang hole is a little messy.

Oh, Nakagawa ginsan 240

Attachments

• 20240427_104744.jpg
    20240427_104744.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_104747.jpg
    20240427_104747.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_104756.jpg
    20240427_104756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_104805.jpg
    20240427_104805.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_104739.jpg
    20240427_104739.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The patient today.
IMG_0253.jpeg

Wanted a longer handle. So I fitted this incredibly @eddworks gyuto in AU with a mono bog oak handle that I made

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, first time doing the dowel method. I made a ton of mistakes, which was great for learning. My ferrule popped off right as I was mounting it. It was at the glued g-10 and wood. I kept having problems with the Titebond sticking to the G10. Going to use epoxy next time. I did my beat to stick the landing after that mishap, I got epoxy everywhere and had to resand the handle but it looks ok, but the tang hole is a little messy.

Oh, Nakagawa ginsan 240
Are you scuffing up the g10 and wood so the glue has more surface area to stick to? Try g-flex epoxy, works fantastic.

Yes I am, somehow I knew to do that, scratching the g10.

The g-flex is setting as we speak 😄 on a new handle I've got cooking. I've been using the Titebond between woods but it doesn't do as well with other materials. That's one of the things I learned. I hopefully have a beaut in the works.

Also, let's say I got some epoxy smudges on the blade, is there an easier way to get that off?

The g-flex is setting as we speak 😄 on a new handle I've got cooking. I've been using the Titebond between woods but it doesn't do as well with other materials. That's one of the things I learned. I hopefully have a beaut in the works.

Also, let's say I got some epoxy smudges on the blade, is there an easier way to get that off?
Nice! Hope that works better. Acetone might soften the epoxy on the blade enough to scrape off.

Gflex is the way to go for assembling handles. You can get it off with chemical such as acetone/IPA before it cures. After it cures, I think you're basically left with mechanical means for removal.

Oh, Nakagawa ginsan 240
Use Gflex and rough up the g10 like this.

IMG_4890.jpeg

Use Gflex and rough up the g10 like this.

View attachment 318143
Yeah, predrilling the G10 is a must as well. That was part of the problem.

That Nakagawa came from your shop. I got epoxy smudges on the blade that I need to get off. It was a hot mess. So many mistakes. But the one I have cooking is a product of learning from those mistakes. It's gonna be a franken-handle with 5 different materials because my drilling kept cracking the wood. I think I need a different bit.

Yeah, predrilling the G10 is a must as well. That was part of the problem.

That Nakagawa came from your shop. I got epoxy smudges on the blade that I need to get off. It was a hot mess. So many mistakes. But the one I have cooking is a product of learning from those mistakes. It's gonna be a franken-handle with 5 different materials because my drilling kept cracking the wood. I think I need a different bit.

Epoxy will come off with acetone.

Take your time with the handle, it may take a couple tries to get it right. I only use gflex, but it’s pricey unless you are doing multiple handles. Other epoxies may work just as well.

Back