Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NKD. When one Shindo isn’t enough, get a second one.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I got this yesterday and I couldn't be happier. This is thr "raptor" gyuto from Francisco Vaz. He is a Brazilian knife maker who I found through blade forums but he's got stuff for sale in several places. He had done some videos explaining the importance of geometry and knives and one day I decided to get him to back that up. I told him I wanted a rugby player that could do ballet in the form of a knife. He made this ballerina Raptor and Sandvik with that Full Tang and Kingwood handle. It is a type of Brazilian rosewood. Well he absolutely delivered and this is the smoothest cutting knife that I own now. I'm absolutely blown away at how good his geometry is. He was very communicative and gave me updates through the whole process.
I just ordered a version of this in magnacut, looks like a magnificent knife. Love your description.

This is a speciel one! Shuji Toyama Ironclad B2 240mm Western style deba(double bevel). It weight 396 grams when i Got it, is 60mm tall, and 7mm spine thickness out of the handle. This knife was ordered 20 years ago as a custom, and have just been sitting in a warehouse. I was lucky enough to buy this knife from @itabaryu_knife , who Said it might be the only one of its kind in the World. When i Got it in hand, i thought it could be really cool to make it an “Shuji Toyama workhorse gyuto”. It already Cut quite well, But with a little work i thought it could become amazing! So i Got my good mate Mikael to thin it down a little while still keeping the classic righty biased toyama grind, and give it a little more taper at the tip. It went from 396g down to 373g, and is now gliding through thick cold carrots, and the tip lasers through horizontal cuts in onions. Super happy how this one came out! Now it just needs a new handle, to match the rest of my collection!

Attachments

• IMG_6095.jpeg
    IMG_6095.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6100.jpeg
    IMG_6100.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6101.jpeg
    IMG_6101.jpeg
    865.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6103.jpeg
    IMG_6103.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6102.jpeg
    IMG_6102.jpeg
    779.8 KB · Views: 0
This is a speciel one! Shuji Toyama Ironclad B2 240mm Western style deba(double bevel). It weight 396 grams when i Got it, is 60mm tall, and 7mm spine thickness out of the handle. This knife was ordered 20 years ago as a custom, and have just been sitting in a warehouse. I was lucky enough to buy this knife from @itabaryu_knife , who Said it might be the only one of its kind in the World. When i Got it in hand, i thought it could be really cool to make it an “Shuji Toyama workhorse gyuto”. It already Cut quite well, But with a little work i thought it could become amazing! So i Got my good mate Mikael to thin it down a little while still keeping the classic righty biased toyama grind, and give it a little more taper at the tip. It went from 396g down to 373g, and is now gliding through thick cold carrots, and the tip lasers through horizontal cuts in onions. Super happy how this one came out! Now it just needs a new handle, to match the rest of my collection!
One of the things I love about Japanese smiths is how little their overall style changes over 20 years. That practically looks just like any other Toyama, just a thicc boy.

Simon custom, I went simple cladding. Was looking for pure performance. Very nice

Attachments

• IMG_4819.jpeg
    IMG_4819.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4820.jpeg
    IMG_4820.jpeg
  • IMG_4821.jpeg
    IMG_4821.jpeg
  • IMG_4823.mov
    19.2 MB
  • IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4828.jpeg
    IMG_4828.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4826.jpeg
    IMG_4826.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4827.jpeg
    IMG_4827.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4829.jpeg
    IMG_4829.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4830.jpeg
    IMG_4830.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I picked up this Simon off BST a few weeks ago and haven't really used anything else since. It's my first full tang handle in this style and it feels so good(225g). It's W1 not sure the cladding but its soft steel. Preformance wise id say this thing rips, can get stupid sharp, better than expected food release and nimble but still has this robust confidence that feels like it'll take anything. Would love to add another of his.
IMG_2097.jpeg

Between this knife and the 270
From @ashy2classy , there’s been some serious Toyama heat lately

Both are fantastic

Randy makes excellent knives, always a great aesthetic too. Too bad he’s no longer active on this forum. Is this a new build from him or an older knife?
It's "new to me". Not sure how long it's been floating around, but it's in really nice shape.

Looks like the ones he put out about 10 years ago. I saw a writeup that he was planning to make 100 of them, numbered. But no number on this one so I'm not sure if it was a prototype or what the story is behind it.

Happy to have a super sharp blade that will hold an edge.

This is the first knife I've owned that isn't a sub $60 "don't care if someone drops it" blade. I won't be letting anyone touch this, lol. I'm new to this stuff and was generously gifted this knife.

IMG_1058.jpeg

Raquin 270 gyuto (gyutohiki?) • 271x50 / 208g • xc10 clad 125sc • burnt oak mono

Yanick Puig 280 sujihiki • 281x41 / 221g • kurouchi wrought iron clad 135cr3 • santos rosewood + olivewood

Spåre 300 bread sword • 2092 mono • masur birch + walnut

Sugimoto #6 chuka bocho • iron clad shirogami 2

Eddworks S-grind 200 bunka • 202x71 / 238g • 52100 mono • ironwood mono

Kyohei Shindo 210 gyuto • iron clad aogami 2 • oak mono

HSC 180 petty • 180x40 / 141g • cruwear mono • ironwood + vulcanized fiber

I had enough self control to cancel my Haburn order, but not quite enough to resist the Yanick suji. Or the Raquin.

The Sugimoto, Shindo, and Eddworks were pickups just for fun.

And the HSC was because I was really wanting a nice large petty.

Which is why I now have three of them.

And two mini gyutos.

*Siiiigh.*

Back