Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Mailbox Day. This combination is always a prelude to something good.

2014-09-24%2015.45.11.jpg

I picked up this Hankotsu for deer season. Hopefully I'll be processing a few soon.

2014-09-24%2015.47.34.jpg

So I was at JKI just over a week ago for a knife sharpening course while on a holiday in the states. Weird choice of things to do on an overseas holiday I know, but Jon's Youtube clips had really help me start off sharpening once I got into this bug that is fine kitchen knives, so I thought, if I am going to be in LA, why not have a lesson from him.

Anyway, after finishing the course, I was browsing his stock, and as much as I had my wife's voice in my head "why do you need another knife"... After looking at a couple of others Jon brought this one out... and I stretched my budget, because I couldn't say no to it. And Jon was definitely right, fits in with my others perfectly

Gesshin Ginga 270mm White #2 Gyuto

Wonderful knife, I was also scared of getting something this thin, but it is a joy to use.

Yep, my one and only stainless gyuto. Only thing that would've made it better is a wa handle and I think Jon is working on getting some made that way.

He posted this recently:

http://instagram.com/p/svX7V2qpHY/?modal=true

" we will have 3 different series within this new line... A powdered stainless steel, a semi stainless tool steel, and a carbon tool steel"

... I'm pretty sure I know what my next purchase will be :lol2:

And a big +1 on the 270mm Gesshin Ginga W#2. I absolutely love mine.

329a4b.jpeg

tanaka 240mm blue #2 wa-gyuto

Just arrived with pretty fast shipping from Metal Master. $9 shipping and arrived in 5 days. F&F out of the box is decent, but not perfect. Spine isnt super rounded, but comfortable to hold. The choil is a little rough and could use a little work. Sharp out of the box, but could be sharper. For $150 pretty happy with my intro to real J knives.

Inspired by some recent threads I've decided to reignite my interest in Japanese knives.

The Itinomonn was for one of my sous chefs but he's since had second thoughts. Too heavy. 281.42g is a bit on the heavier side but I'm really digging it so reluctantly it's now mine.
The Kato arrived in 3 days. That's fast. Thanks Maksim! Very Badass knife indeed.

The mouse pad is an office joke that I've also decided to keep.
I'm not what you call a "cat person". Nothing against the cute little guys, just allergic.

Both are 240

20141001_120705_zps82afe289.jpg
20141001_120923_zps9c03d44b.jpg
20140930_150659_zps3f71ca5a.jpg

240 yoshikane kuroichi Damascus SLD
Awesome looking and performing knife!

I picked this 240mm gyuto up from Ian and I love it! She's extremely, perhaps insanely thin behind the edge and the craftsmanship is spot on. I'm very impressed from someone who is relatively new to the scene. His attention to detail and overall presentation and packaging are something out of the ordinary and a breath of fresh air. Photos courtesy of Ian, because I can't take a good photo to save my life.

RkZOrF.jpg

nCIpUd.jpg

XGbw6N.jpg

Nice blade Pete!

New one here for me though it is a repeat! Had one and let it go, bought and sold a bunch of knives and had to come back to it. Will keep a place alongside my Shig, Leder, and soon to add Catcheside. This one is a bit taller at the heel than my first and even thinner behind the edge which I wasn't sure was possible for a laminated blade with a wide bevel and solid spine.

Once again, not the best pics but...

20141004_003955_zpssdowrduf.jpg

20141004_003914_zpsh46fqfjy.jpg

My best knife yet: Gesshin Ginga 240mm in stainless. Takes a great edge and I love how thin it is behind the edge.

Last edited:
...I'm very impressed from someone who is relatively new to the scene. His attention to detail and overall presentation and packaging are something out of the ordinary and a breath of fresh air...

I'm going to agree with this. When you open a box from this man you really are greeted with the full deal. A padded zip bag/case for the knife, a formal receipt with a complete break down of all materials used on the knife and a nice "how to take care of me" letter.

Once you start oggling over his handiwork, you really note the quality of his craftsmanship.

Just picked up this 240mm gyuto from Tanzu Knives. Fit & finish is second to none. With one day of production under her belt, I believe she will be a top notch cutter, as well.
Hidden Tang Western Handled.
52100 steel hardened to 62HRC.
239mm on the edge, 49mm tall at the heel.
Curly maple handle and tiger maple saya, ringed Australian gidgee ferrule and end cap, brass bolster.
200 gr.
Slightly asymmetric workhorse grind.

Really was a pleasure working with Mert on this one. Something special about working with a fellow chef that words can't really explain. The brass bolster really gives it some nice heft and great balance. Thanks for looking.

tigerguyto.jpg

Did I mention that I'm really digging this knife? :cool2:

I had to go and double check mine was still on the rack 😉. I got one that's the splitting image of this one.

Nice blade Pete!

New one here for me though it is a repeat! Had one and let it go, bought and sold a bunch of knives and had to come back to it. Will keep a place alongside my Shig, Leder, and soon to add Catcheside. This one is a bit taller at the heel than my first and even thinner behind the edge which I wasn't sure was possible for a laminated blade with a wide bevel and solid spine.

Once again, not the best pics but...

20141004_003955_zpssdowrduf.jpg

20141004_003914_zpsh46fqfjy.jpg

Love kochi knives!

Just picked up this 240mm gyuto from Tanzu Knives. Fit & finish is second to none. With one day of production under her belt, I believe she will be a top notch cutter, as well.
Hidden Tang Western Handled.
52100 steel hardened to 62HRC.
239mm on the edge, 49mm tall at the heel.
Curly maple handle and tiger maple saya, ringed Australian gidgee ferrule and end cap, brass bolster.
200 gr.
Slightly asymmetric workhorse grind.

Really was a pleasure working with Mert on this one. Something special about working with a fellow chef that words can't really explain. The brass bolster really gives it some nice heft and great balance. Thanks for looking.

tigerguyto.jpg

Did I mention that I'm really digging this knife? :cool2:

Been following Mert's work on Instagram for the last year or so. Very impresive progress for being so new at the process. Time for a passaround methinks...

Back