Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toyama Noborikoi 300mm Sujihiki just arrived.

e76bcce3da83784d100e.png

Incredible how light and nimble it is compared to the size. It's also not very flexible, which I really like.

Last day for summer sale at JNS if you haven't heard already.

what's the summer sale i dont see anything listed on the website?

im not on the email list, what does the sale entail?

You get 15% off everything if you enter the code "summer" into the coupon field when checking out. Counts for everything in the store.

Code expires in around 8 hours I think (midnight Danish time), so the clock is ticking.

I've been interested in a Toyama for a while now. Care to share some feelings about it?

I like it. However hard to compare to anything I already have. Very different feel from lasers, but cuts great. I want to give it a month or so to have more formed opinion.

That's a good size and looks like a nice profile with some decent height at the heel. Is it a gyuto?

I'm curious why he started adding the other markings on the HG series, I always remember seeing on the KU. Both my HGs just have "Carter".

Oh my days. That Carter is beautiful. No wonder the man has high self esteem. He's knocking out some beautiful work.

Beautiful knife! I love the profile, any thoughts on it? Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a gorgeous carter like that!

Thanks! The handle was a little bigger than I normally like but it cuts like a dream.

That's a good size and looks like a nice profile with some decent height at the heel. Is it a gyuto?

I'm curious why he started adding the other markings on the HG series, I always remember seeing on the KU. Both my HGs just have "Carter".

Thanks! Yes. It was labeled as a gyuto. Height at the heel is 53mm. I wondered that as well. From what I understand, once a maker puts his/her Kanji on a knife that means the lamination and forging was done by them. I haven't actually asked Carter about this though. None the less it is an amazing knife.

Oh my days. That Carter is beautiful. No wonder the man has high self esteem. He's knocking out some beautiful work.

Nice looking carter. What's the ferrule material? Looks interesting...

Thanks! It's micarta if I'm not mistaken. I met your friend and sold him my Richmond AS. We should all meet up and talk shop soon. I also heard you're making sayas. I started making handles. Would love to swap info and tips. I wanna make a few Sayas for my knives.

Thanks! Yes. It was labeled as a gyuto. Height at the heel is 53mm. I wondered that as well. From what I understand, once a maker puts his/her Kanji on a knife that means the lamination and forging was done by them. I haven't actually asked Carter about this though. None the less it is an amazing knife.
not sure where you heard this, but it is not entirely true. Makers put their kanji on stuff all of the time, and putting it there has nothing to do with them having forged and laminated the blade themselves. In fact, fewer and fewer craftsmen are capable of doing lamination themselves.

Makes you wonder if Murray intended on selling it as a KU and then ground it down after stamping it?

Carter's KU series is white steel clad in soft iron; the high grade is white steel clad in soft stainless. What you suggest couldn't be done.

Final grinding is performed after stamping. That's why the maker's mark is partially ground away.

Rick

not sure where you heard this, but it is not entirely true. Makers put their kanji on stuff all of the time, and putting it there has nothing to do with them having forged and laminated the blade themselves. In fact, fewer and fewer craftsmen are capable of doing lamination themselves.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about that info as I had heard it in passing.

Makes you wonder if Murray intended on selling it as a KU and then ground it down after stamping it?

It's definitely not a kurouchi as its stainless steel. The kurouchi knives are gokunan tetsu cladding And are reactive.

Jon, that's very interesting. If the craftsman isn't doing the lamination who is?

it depends... some craftsmen have started buying pre-clad stock (clad at the factory), while others use craftsmen who specialize in laminating steels to do their lamination for them. For what its worth, the focus on most forums tends to be towards those who do everything in-house... i just want to point out that our viewer base is not necessarily in alignment with what is normal or common.

Personally I could give 2 squats if the steel is made in house or not. If the performance is there and the price matches I'm good to go!

i feel the same way, but i think a lot of people have a misconception as to how things are actually made, so i just wanted to clarify. I've had amazing performing knives from pre-clad stock... or even stamped knives. Its about the whole concept... not just one aspect of the making process.

As for the Carter ferrule, I also like the way it looks. I just couldn't tell what it's made from. It kind of looks like that M3 metal-like material. Either way, it looks dope.

i feel the same way, but i think a lot of people have a misconception as to how things are actually made, so i just wanted to clarify. I've had amazing performing knives from pre-clad stock... or even stamped knives. Its about the whole concept... not just one aspect of the making process.

Some people value craftsmanship and the "love" (for lack of better term) put in to the product more then the final performance/price equation. And for the same reason some people like to know who made it, how was it made and what materials used. It seems to be quite rare to impossible to find that info for many many blades. Any info is appreciated.

Some people value craftsmanship and the "love" (for lack of better term) put in to the product more then the final performance/price equation. And for the same reason some people like to know who made it, how was it made and what materials used. It seems to be quite rare to impossible to find that info for many many blades. Any info is appreciated.

i think one part of the issue stems from the fact that people feel entitled to that kind of information.... not everyone feels comfortable sharing that info, for a wide variety of reasons. That being said, it never hurts to ask... i just have trouble when i get yelled at for something i have no control over (i.e. a maker who doesnt want his name to be shared, a maker who doesnt want to disclose steel types or proprietary ways of making things, etc.). Of the things i choose not to share publicly, I think most people will find that if they have a conversation with me, i'm more likely to discuss those kinds of things if i think they are relevant.

i think one part of the issue stems from the fact that people feel entitled to that kind of information.... not everyone feels comfortable sharing that info, for a wide variety of reasons. That being said, it never hurts to ask... i just have trouble when i get yelled at for something i have no control over (i.e. a maker who doesnt want his name to be shared, a maker who doesnt want to disclose steel types or proprietary ways of making things, etc.). Of the things i choose not to share publicly, I think most people will find that if they have a conversation with me, i'm more likely to discuss those kinds of things if i think they are relevant.

And that totally fine in my view at least. Everyone is entitled to keep their secrets or not publicly share them. At the same time this may lead to lose of a sale or two, so it should not come as a surprise. Also it was not addressed personally to you Jon, I am sorry if it sounded that way. And its sad to hear that some individuals take any opportunity to discharge their anger :(
On a similar note, while we are on Offtopic:
It seems that many US/Western craftsman are more open to share this information, at least in general terms, I suspect this is one of a reasons many are quite popular despite the prices.

I agree with most of what has been said, i value à forged knife over a stamped knife. I enjoy believing the blacksmith has infused his soul into a blade through sweat and tears, even though most craftsman probably cant do a better heat treat than a big factory. I also believe a maker should mention steel type, i would never ever buy a knife if i didnt know the core steel(even though they could be lying) i cant tell W2 from B2, its simply a prise thing i show my knives off at diner parties and mention steels. I like openness in that regard. If i go to a restaurant and order lobster and ask wheres its from i would be very upset if they wouldnt tell me. If that makes anysense.

Carter is pretty open when it comes to this kind of stuff. I know for a fact that his kurouchi knives are made completely in house including the lamination process. His high grade stainless clad knives and muteki knives use a pre-laminated stainless steel with white #1 core. In the past the kurouchi knives were stamped with the carter logo as well as his kanji and house markings and the hi-grade series just had the Carter stamp. I guess this is where my questioned arose as the latest hi-grade series have all the markings if the kurouchi knives leading me to believe that he is know doing his own stainless/white #1 lamination. Not sure on this but I'll send him an email to find out. I own a few other Carter knives. And this one cuts just as good if not better than the others. Whether he is doing the lamination or not I love the hi-grade series more than the kurouchi series.

Back