Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you give a short review of how this knife cuts etc. I’ve been interested in his work as Steffen lives only 8 kilometres from my home. The knives look really nice and well done [emoji2]
- Kim

I was just in CPH and was trying to meet up with Steffen - work got in the way of that, but I'll be there again soon.

For the knife - I've only used it once as it just arrived yesterday, but so far so good. It's a bit short for my preference, but I bought this one for my SO who needs a stainless workhorse (she's been using the "hello shiggy" 210 shigefusa, if anyone remembers that one). This one was described as being a bit thicker at the spine, but it's still thin at the edge and more nimble feeling than I thought it might be. I figured it would be a solid all arounder, and relatively robust - it's AEBL, so edge will depend highly on heat treatment. Good balance (balance point is between the bolster and the logo on the blade) and a solid secure feel. Need to find a saya for it...

Fit and finish are tops - very beautiful aesthetic. I'll probably get a custom TX pretty quickly - his diff-treated carbon blades are gorgeous.

Last edited:
My custom W2 honyaki just arrived from Tony LaSeur and it is thrilling!!! I'm bad at uploading pics, so I'll share the link to 4 pics Tony posted to his Instagram via the link below. The pics are in somewhat low light...the knife has a very shiny polish in real life!!! About 253mm long x 57mm high at the heel, with the extra beefy handle (perfectly to my specs), it weighs in at 265g. Handle is Tony's design and crafted from stunning burled Amboyna:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgcP1_shKzd/?taken-by=laseurknives

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited:
My custom W2 honyaki just arrived from Tony LaSeur and it is thrilling!!!

Congratulations...here's a pic...Tony makes fine knives for sure...

gvszc2.jpg

My custom W2 honyaki just arrived from Tony LaSeur and it is thrilling!!! I'm bad at uploading pics, so I'll share the link to 4 pics Tony posted to his Instagram via the link below. The pics are in somewhat low light...the knife has a very shiny polish in real life!!! About 253mm long x 57mm high at the heel, with the extra beefy handle (perfectly to my specs), it weighs in at 265g. Handle is Tony's design and crafted from stunning burled Amboyna:

Cheers,
Blair

So you got that beauty???? Love it, especially the handle config. That amboyna burl is incredible!

So you got that beauty???? Love it, especially the handle config. That amboyna burl is incredible!

Yes, it was me! Thank you - Tony did amazing work on this knife. Working with him on creating just what I wanted was a pleasure. And the knife (including the amazing handle) far exceeded my expectations. A real gem!!!

Cheers,
Blair

Cheers,
Blair

That is stunning Blair.
Congratulations.
Would love to know how it performs.

That is stunning Blair.
Congratulations.
Would love to know how it performs.

Thank you! So far so good...actually great. Did a small veggie stirfry and a salad with it. No trouble at all with hard stuff like carrots - not quite a laser, but no wedging and nice fine cuts. Tomato and cucumber no trouble - cut tomato clean with OOTB edge. It did show some reactivity to tomato (on the blade, but no off flavor on the food), but that is to be expected given the carbon content.

The feedback from this knife on the board is so authoritative. I had not ever used a honyaki knife before, but you can feel a difference. Very cool.

Congrats to you on your new Akebono...I am envious - that is one that I was very interested in but never pulled the trigger. By all accounts it is a great knife!

Cheers,
Blair

New Matsubara blue #2 Nashiji, a blue 2 with stainless cladding. I just wanted a heavier but still sharp workhorse.

https://images.yswcdn.com/-67098781...*/matsubara-blue-2-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-48.png

Before you can show your newest buy you need to learn how to show your newest buy...posting a link to that site won't get it done...

It is. Tinfoilthin behind the edge, but with quit some heft to it.
Somehow a highly functional mixture between a Dalman and a Raquin, if i may say so....

Back