Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your 5 year old son produces that, you better give him a forge, a couple of grinders and a metric ton of steel for his next birthday. ;)

I went to pick up some usb cables from the mailbox, and found this:

KsZkuNr.jpg

Just another run of the mill Tanaka Ginsanko 150 petty

Did anyone else notice this thread hit 1095 pages? I thought to myself, hey I have a knife in that steel!
You can set the number of comments per page; I only have 548 pages. If you mean comments, it works for me.

I went to pick up some usb cables from the mailbox, and found this:

KsZkuNr.jpg

Just another run of the mill Tanaka Ginsanko 150 petty

It sort of has a honesuki look to it, no?

Masamoto KS 240mm
Nsk7Ex9h.jpg

Akazawa Chou-Ao-Sintan Wa-Gyuto 270mm (on top)
D3OVxCQh.jpg

And a Gesshin 1000/6000 Combo Stone, not pictured, but just used it today for the first time and I love it.

Yes this one was very hard to get, but I dont have a current example to compare it to, but it has that wide bevel looks of the older gin3
How did you find that??? I Tanaka stopped making ginsanko pettys. Is it old stock?
9KNLbf4.jpg
another angle may help figure it out

that ks looks like a molested abomination. gross ugh.... why tho?? i'm sorry but that should have been put in the ugly knife thread.

if you wanted a pretty one, look no further than bkultra's pride and joy honyaki version for the perfect example (made by marko tsourkan).
attachment.php

Don't mind him champ, your ks is sick and the burst of colour really makes it unique, I won't argue bkultra's is without doubt the classier of the two, but yours has a flair about it(like it just doesn't give a F what people think), that and with Cris's handle being the perfect combination of wa and westren, and ok, cody paul probably makes one of... if not the best saya I've ever seen, they really are stunning, with perfect friction fit and beautiful contours, you really have one amazing package that i'm willing to bet 99.9% of line cooks would kill for, I know I'd rock it with a smile.

Thanks. I liked bkultras when he shared it. Everyone else here has been awesome to a newb. Cris and Cody were both awesome. I haven't even gotten the knife back from the rehandle yet.

Last edited:
Thanks. I liked bkultras when he shared it. Everyone else here has been awesome to a newb. Cris and Cody were both awesome. I haven't even gotten the knife back from the rehandle yet.

I know I saw the blade on Instagram earlier today, cody is doing a caged bird saya(in collaboration with a local artist) for me if the honyaki I ordered from japan would ever be finished, who knew custom dimensions, profile and polishing would make it take so long lol.

So pink is the new ebony? :p
To be honest I can understand where panda's coming from; it's not my cup of tea either. But that doesn't matter one iota as long as it's your cup of tea. The whole beauty of getting custom stuff is that you can finally get what you want, not what others want...
And in pink-ness it's still overshadowed by the Hello Kitty Shigefusa that came by here once upon a time. :biggrin:

[video=youtube;mrok3NpBnyk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrok3NpBnyk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrok3NpBnyk[/video]

Very nice. Like the use of koa in the handle. I've got a friend of the family that does a lot of work with exotic Hawaiian woods.

And yeah, don't mind panda. He's from Florida. Nuff said. :p

[video=youtube;mrok3NpBnyk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrok3NpBnyk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrok3NpBnyk[/video]

I think it's unique and wonderful. Looks different than the usual shape handle that Cris does. Curly koa is always nice!

Only two things that might be issues are that purpleheart often eventually turns brown, it's a known issue in many colorful exotic woods, and stabilized koa is much heavier than the typical ho wood so that handle will change the balance. Not a big deal either way if you're ok with those two issues.

Back