Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s this doing here? The way I see it this knife is a perfect gift knife. As a matter of fact I’ve given three of them away ... one to family, two to friends. It’s a Kurosaki 170mm bunka. VG10 core and soft stainless Damascus cladding. Very light and easy to handle with an attractive handle and Kurosaki’s fujin style blade treatment. A perfect introduction to Japanese knives. Oh yes ... I keep one on my boat. Salt water isn’t very kind to reactive blades. ... my black cat likes it too!

3BB741E2-1737-435A-995B-A8DD2EB154A2.jpeg
E942283B-FE4E-4F76-A3C8-007CE741239B.jpeg
C192EF75-DFDD-43B3-B6DD-5CDD4B966896.jpeg
B5A91CF4-998A-4B5D-A52F-D214A95CC885.jpeg
703E86B3-39E6-45C9-81FC-887EB2A3960C.jpeg

A tiny Kato nakiri knife..light and nimble
Length: 140mm
Height: 50mm
Thick 5mm at heel and tapers quickly into a 2mm.

It's even prettier than in the magazine:
Kato1.PNG

And with the balance point:
20191018_160442.jpg

20191018_151024.jpg
20191018_151212.jpg

Vegetables beware!

Last edited:
Kippington 52100 gyuto that I got from ashy2classy. It has some taper :). Has nice height, sharp edge, flyes thru potatoes etc. I am not sure yet about the profile, but more than happy with the performance(just a home cook, so..).

Maybe it's time to find the micrometer at the weekend so I can take some measurements from some of my knives...inspired by the thread understanding distal taper.

IMG_20191018_181934.jpg
IMG_20191018_180137.jpg
IMG_20191018_181900.jpg

Very nice looking Kippington. What about the profile is questionable? Looks like a perfect profile to me, but pictures can be deceiving.

Kippington 52100 gyuto that I got from ashy2classy. It has some taper :). Has nice height, sharp edge, flyes thru potatoes etc. I am not sure yet about the profile, but more than happy with the performance(just a home cook, so..).

Maybe it's time to find the micrometer at the weekend so I can take some measurements from some of my knives...inspired by the thread understanding distal taper.
This was my first Kipp laser and it didn't disappoint. Unreal performance. Jules assumed I wanted a drop-nose profile but it didn't work out for me so that's why I sold it, otherwise I would have kept it. He's is a helluva maker, IMO. I'm on his list for another (or two).

Very nice looking Kippington. What about the profile is questionable? Looks like a perfect profile to me, but pictures can be deceiving.

I am new to the terms etc so I may use wrong words at the wrong place and the english...but what I meant to say I am not sure do I like/get use to that the tip is relatively low and I noticed that my pushcut technic needs a little adjust...

But the edge profile is perfect as it is, it is the user...

I am new to the terms etc so I may use wrong words at the wrong place and the english...but what I meant to say I am not sure do I like/get use to that the tip is relatively low and I noticed that my pushcut technic needs a little adjust...

But the edge profile is perfect as it is, it is the user...
You used profile correctly. Just curious and you explained it. All these things are personal, so I was wondering what didn't work for you. I like this shape and I also mostly push cut, looks like it would be excellent for that. I can see how for rocking someone might want the tip higher. Grind looks excellent too, overall looks like a very good knife.

Yes I have some slight rocking motion with my pushcutting if that makes any sense. The knife is definitely a keeper for me now, it cuts so well that I gladly adjust my style.

You used profile correctly. Just curious and you explained it. All these things are personal, so I was wondering what didn't work for you. I like this shape and I also mostly push cut, looks like it would be excellent for that. I can see how for rocking someone might want the tip higher. Grind looks excellent too, overall looks like a very good knife.
The blade is 267mm long and 54-55mm tall. The low tip and flat profile are an odd combination. It's very weird visually (at least for me). It doesn't look odd in photos, but when you pick up the knife, there's something off, again for me. Feel, for me, comes from visual perception of the knife as much as tactile feel in the hand.

I trust you! But this will be done by hand and a lot of paper

You must have to much freetime, even with an orbital sander it would take to long for my taste :)

But old Dicks are worth the time, and to early get finished is not allways good :D

Regards

Uwe

You must have to much freetime, even with an orbital sander it would take to long for my taste :)

But old Dicks are worth the time, and to early get finished is not allways good :D

Regards

Uwe
Haha, in fact I don’t have the time. But I enjoy doing it so I try to make time for it. :)
What can I say: I like old Dicks! (Pun unintended).

Last edited:
Snagged this this week from auction. It showed up today tip gone chipped blade rusty the works. Spent a couple hours polishing sharpening fixing the tip. First fixed the tip and chip with amakusa then ohira Suita followed by a Nakayama uchigumori fingerstones to buff the rusty patinas now she’s mine. Been chasing 240 kiteaji for years now. Better put this away before I doze off with this thing on my lap.
44DEE909-9075-45E1-84E9-EE712C7A1D57.jpeg

Snagged this this week from auction. It showed up today tip gone chipped blade rusty the works. Spent a couple hours polishing sharpening fixing the tip. First fixed the tip and chip with amakusa then ohira Suita followed by a Nakayama uchigumori fingerstones to buff the rusty patinas now she’s mine. Been chasing 240 kiteaji for years now. Better put this away before I doze off with this thing on my lap.View attachment 62926
That was the Ebay one? Obviously found its rightful loving owner who gave it the TLC it needed. Nice job.

Latest posts

Back