Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CABB35EE-537B-40FD-BAC8-1DD7A5000943.jpeg

Fujiwara Santoku 180mm. Though Santoku knives are not in vogue, nor is Fujiwara perhaps, this thing rules. Got it yesterday, kicked the tires, noted the overgrind on the tip and considered putting it right back in the box and sending it back. Instead changed what we were having for dinner to a root vegetable based soup. At this point my lady and two year old went for a walk, literally, around the block. In that short time I layed to waste a huge pile of sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, and fennel, plus a few smashed and trimmed garlic cloves and had everything oiled, seasoned, and in the oven roasting before they returned. And I was smiling ear to ear.

A lot of recent opinions I read about Fujiwara seemed to question their consistency and durability. Of course there were a lot of positive things said as well, but as one considers a purchase it is the negative that often sticks in ones mind. I gave more weight to the positive opinions and ended up with a kick ass knife.

This landed today. Jody Hale at Pie cutlery made me this epic custom Honyaki cleaver in 1095. 173Long 88High asked him to sweep up the tip a little. Don’t have a scale handy but she’s real light. Can’t wait to get it in the bag and rip some veg. Highly recommended dealing with Jody I ordered this 6 weeks ago!
00331E8F-CBDC-45DE-AEBF-67D128B3A594.jpeg

Mail brought today Wakui V2 ku iron clad. Havent test it yet. Few quick measurements and photos for those who might be interested in.

242*49, 174g
Spine at the handle 4,97, at the heel 3,8, middle 1,95.
The handle is oval shape, it is okei, but I would like octagonal or rectangular shape more.

The choil shot kind of makes you wanna cut something :D

IMG_20191030_182905.jpg
IMG_20191030_183442.jpg
IMG_20191030_183449.jpg
IMG_20191030_183501.jpg
IMG_20191030_183533.jpg
IMG_20191030_183141.jpg
IMG_20191030_182932.jpg
IMG_20191030_183020.jpg
IMG_20191030_182854.jpg

Mail brought today Wakui V2 ku iron clad. Havent test it yet. Few quick measurements and photos for those who might be interested in.

242*49, 174g
The handle is oval shape, it is okei, but I would like octagonal or rectangular shape more.

View attachment 63744 View attachment 63745 View attachment 63746 View attachment 63747 View attachment 63748 View attachment 63749 View attachment 63750 View attachment 63751 View attachment 63752

Sweet knife! I wish the handle looked more like the stock photo on the website though.

Is that the Tanaka from JNS? How do you like it? Very tempted to pull the trigger on one.

It is a near-laser. The weight is just a bit more than 180g. It has a gentle convex grind. I was surprised that in a side-by-side comparison the 240 Toyama (212g) was a little bit better on super hard stuff like hokaido pumpkin. I love how nimble it feels in hand while being so tall at the heel. The steel feels fairly hard on stones. I can’t comment on retention yet.

I also had a chance to try the 210 version and loved it equally much - felt just perfect when cutting onions, peppers and cucumber. Super nimble, still with a great balance.

EDIT: Yes it is from JNS, sorry, I though it was obvious.

Last edited:

242*49, 174g

View attachment 63744 View attachment 63745 View attachment 63746 View attachment 63747 View attachment 63748 View attachment 63749 View attachment 63750 View attachment 63751 View attachment 63752
I like the handle!

Just finished rehandling a Carter Funayuki 165mm, S stamp, hitachi blue supersteel.

The fit and finish from Carter leaves a lot to be desired, but I do love the way they perform and how well they keep an edge! Had the stock handle replaced by @foothill_antiques, and the blade surface cleaned up and polished a bit (no reshaping needed).

New handle is a Double-D handle made from stabilized red coral and black maple with copper spacers.

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

You can't win always..If I decide to keep this, maybe this could be the the blade for diy handle change.
Just reread your post and saw the weight. Dang that's light. How does she cut so far?

It is a near-laser. The weight is just a bit more than 180g. It has a gentle convex grind. I was surprised that in a side-by-side comparison the 240 Toyama (212g) was a little bit better on super hard stuff like hokaido pumpkin. I love how nimble it feels in hand while being so tall at the heel. The steel feels fairly hard on stones. I can’t comment on retention yet.

I also had a chance to try the 210 version and loved it equally much - felt just perfect when cutting onions, peppers and cucumber. Super nimble, still with a great balance.

Choil shot please! And your review on how it feels on the stones too, whenever you get to it :)

Choil shot you said? :) It looks like a flat grind, but it is not.

The only sharpening so far was Shapton Pro 1k, Natsuya from JNS (pretty special - harder and finer that others that I have seen) and Hideriyama Suita Renge (super cool stone from JNS). Since the naturals are new to me (but sadly not mine) I can not offer any comparisons.

B104D868-0B5F-4BC7-9D27-073DC46CF9C3.jpeg
066DB8BD-4CAC-4D70-B490-02C889EC5C43.jpeg
51CD9509-5F92-4A4A-8A10-5726D1346787.jpeg

The only sharpening so far was Shapton Pro 1k, Natsuya from JNS (pretty special - harder and finer that others that I have seen) and Hideriyama Suita Renge (super cool stone from JNS). Since the naturals are new to me (but sadly not mine) I can not offer any comparisons.

View attachment 63770 View attachment 63771 View attachment 63772
That looks and sounds pretty nice! The choil shot does look pretty laser-ish but you can see the convexity on the left side. It looks like a nice right hand biased grind (good for me!) How's the food release?

242*49, 174g

What a great piece of steel. I won’t throw around any superlatives, but it’s a personal favorite.

View attachment 63770 View attachment 63771 View attachment 63772
What are you using for the workhorse Ikeda? I have one I like, one that I’ve never used, (only knife I’ve never used).

That looks and sounds pretty nice! The choil shot does look pretty laser-ish but you can see the convexity on the left side. It looks like a nice right hand biased grind (good for me!) How's the food release?
Yes, there seems to be a gentle right hand bias, but I need to have a closer look to be sure. Food release is acceptable and not worse that what I would expect from a knife this thin. Again - Toyama seemed to be better in this regard.

What are you using for the workhorse Ikeda? I have one I like, one that I’ve never used, (only knife I’ve never used).
When I want to feel like a big boy, haha :) NOt really - it is a matter of mood. It does cut great (just not the best for a pumpkin or super big carrots) - love it on onions and softer produce

When I want to feel like a big boy, haha :) NOt really - it is a matter of mood. It does cut great (just not the best for a pumpkin or super big carrots) - love it on onions and softer produce
Sweet thanks, Love to see a pic, I'm wondering how mine compares... Also you know how to compose a nice photo

The only sharpening so far was Shapton Pro 1k, Natsuya from JNS (pretty special - harder and finer that others that I have seen) and Hideriyama Suita Renge (super cool stone from JNS).

The stones look epic... :)

Back