Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have been a duff Denka.:LOL:
It’s just really thick behind the edge so it wedges a lot. I measured the thickness of the blade at 1 cm above the edge. Using the middle point of the blade as an example, the denka is 1.53 mm while the mab is 1.22 mm. The difference is huge IMO but I guess that’s just the normal variance for TF. LOL

After an hour on the stone it’s good now and I really like the steel so far.

20201208_180903.jpg
240 denka from this NOV batch. Asked for the tallest of the bunch.

Here's some comparisons to a 240 Wa denka. The grind and taper on wa vs western is quite different as you can see.

20201208_180950.jpg

Side by side. Kanji change

20201208_181010.jpg

That wa taper doe

20201206_005246.jpg

20201206_005256.jpg

fnf has notably improved on the blade, western handle still a mess. I love it.

Custom butchery set from Shihan in that bulletproof 52100. I'm really happy about how these turned out. Hankotsu and garasuki options seem to all be beaters or art pieces (and still few and far between), so I requested his interpretation of each plus a k-tip petty to match for banquets. He said he's never made these before, so you saw it here first 😁

150mm hankotsu
180mm garasuki
210mm petty

20201208_215703.jpg

Custom butchery set from Shihan in that bulletproof 52100. I'm really happy about how these turned out. Hankotsu and garasuki options seem to all be beaters or art pieces (and still few and far between), so I requested his interpretation of each plus a k-tip petty to match for banquets. He said he's never made these before, so you saw it here first 😁

150mm hankotsu
180mm garasuki
210mm petty

View attachment 105684
Yeah I just need to buy a knife from him

150mm hankotsu
180mm garasuki
210mm petty

View attachment 105684

I saw when he posted these on his Instagram like a week ago and I thought “these are going to someone on KKF, aren’t they?” So nice 😍

What steel for the above,and what is the knife below?
Sukenari SG2
Yoshikazu Tanaka White 1 Damascus with Maple Burl / spalted maple handle

Indeed... still the provenance of the Tanaka I haven't been able to fully shed lights on for now.

Didn't see you asking, sorry. Thanks @drsmp.

Edit: I can already add that the Sukenari is just great fun to use. It particularly excels cutting carrots and celery, it's very well behaved, balance perfect for precision, profile great for push slice.

DDFA1BE3-A98A-4D09-8DAB-D33C6EA881E7.jpeg

When is a tall nakiri a cleaver or when is a short cleaver a tall nakiri ... don’t know, but this fits on both accounts and is one seriously nice knife. It’s a Yoshimitsu tall nakiri. I was looking for a taller nakiri/almost a cleaver because my favourite Takeda cleaver didn’t fit in my block and was a pain to dig out of the box every time I needed it. I ran across this tall nakiri made by Yoshida San. Best of all it was made with a White #1 core steel, San mai construction with a soft iron cladding. An added plus ... it wasn’t too expensive. Here’s a few pics ...

59F570D7-1EE7-48AD-B323-45011D4670C3.jpeg

8196064B-B4CC-4FC0-9133-A96EDAAF5192.jpeg

84607E56-2166-47B1-815A-71C506E9A396.jpeg

E18D8A1A-4C71-4891-8A3A-918E90CAF5AA.jpeg

I was so happy with the knife it made it into my permanent block and never left. For me that’s saying something. The blade is 212mm long, edge length 190mm, height 75mm, thickness 3.30mm at the heel and 228gms. For me it’s very well balanced in a pinch grip and is blisteringly sharp out of the box. I’ll reach for this tall nakiri five time for every time I reach for a Gyuto. Here’s a couple more pics in action.

E7DBB330-1A20-4CF4-9093-706B1D953504.jpeg

D21E62A4-85BC-408C-B2A6-A70854CB4DF1.jpeg

KKF is full of fantastic people who never cease to amaze! I am super-happy to be a part of this community - thank you!

40052646pt.jpeg

I've been away awhile and frankly I'm out of touch with some of the new custom makers. Who made this beautiful knife?

Thanks @daddy yo yo , I actually do remember him back before I left. Just saw the large hollow grind about midway up the blade, which if I remember correctly was his signature.

Thanks @daddy yo yo , I actually do remember him back before I left. Just saw the large hollow grind about midway up the blade, which if I remember correctly was his signature.
He makes his standard (wa-) gyutos which are more laser-like with a more pronounced S-grind, and those Western (Honyaki) gyutos with a more subtle S-grind. The Western knives are much heavier, WH-like, which is what I prefer.

Robin will maybe chime in for some corrections if what I said is total bs...

He also makes (wa-) gyutos with steel made by Birgersson... Don't know much about those, tbh.

Finally received and very welcome Munetoshi Butcher 170mm. The very sharp edge out of the box became absolutely insane after 5 min on stones. F&F not perfect as expected but I must say that I like it very much, at first I wanted to polish it more than that but I decided to take it as it is (and as the maker made it): an insane quality tool. The cutting performance is all I need for now, time, use and sharpening will do the rest. I can't wait to use it and try its edge retention.

-Thanks to JNS for the fast shipping-

I would love to hear from long time users on how their knife from Kouiti Turumaki evolved!

IMG_20201210_155053.jpg
IMG_20201210_155115.jpg
IMG_20201210_155223.jpg

Also does anyone know where this kind of metal dots comes from? Does it means anything about the steel and does it affects the Performance of the knife in any way?

IMG_20201210_172140.jpg

Finally received and very welcome Munetoshi Butcher 170mm. The very sharp edge out of the box became absolutely insane after 5 min on stones. F&F not perfect as expected but I must say that I like it very much, at first I wanted to polish it more than that but I decided to take it as it is (and as the maker made it): an insane quality tool. The cutting performance is all I need for now, time, use and sharpening will do the rest. I can't wait to use it and try its edge retention.

-Thanks to JNS for the fast shipping-

I would love to hear from long time users on how their knife from Kouiti Turumaki evolved!

View attachment 105905View attachment 105906View attachment 105907

Also does anyone know where this kind of metal dots comes from? Does it means anything about the steel and does it affects the Performance of the knife in any way?

View attachment 105908
Got mine yesterday too!

Just in from hawaii (Aframes)- Masashi nakiri SLD 180. ~180 and 55mm. Surprisingly pretty. Not sure if nakiri's are my deal, but these are the specs i've been looking for... Noticeably longer than a 165 see pict.

View attachment 105925

Comparing to a 165mm Anryu AS.
View attachment 105926View attachment 105927
I love Masashi’s knives so much. They always have great fit and finish for the price and his SLD steel is so nice. These nakiris from the new batch on Aframes are a crazy good deal price wise. I’m not really a nakiri guy, but I’ve been eyeballing these for a minute because I’ve never seen a 180 mm nakiri for so cheap.

Time to post and micro-review my 150mm petties from JCK.

Top is JCK Deep Impact 151 x 27mm, 77g), bottom is Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan White Steel No.1 (TF with Pakka handle) (151 x 33, 111g).

I've used these for a few weeks now to see how I like the geometry and steels, and the Deep Impact has a beautiful cladding line and exactly what was specified on JCK..but too short for my tastes. The spine and choil weren't sharp, but there wasn't obvious easing and being a lefty/correct hander the righty grind didn't interfere with cutting. I love the edge profile, but using it on the board I find myself supporting the handle with my fingertips in a pinch grip so I would buy this again in a taller/165m version, but the 150mm feels too much like a long parer.

The TF on the other hand is a heavy beast by comparison and I love the extra weight. Surprisingly for the talk of rough F+F, the spine and choil have had the corners knocked off at an angle. It did come with what I assume are marks from the grind wheel on the blade road and that black mark is a pit with KU remaining in it.

fvmWihc.jpeg

bonus spine grind on the TF (is that a low/overgrind on the edge opposite?)
IdoZ6Yu.jpeg

Also, special mention of the boxes that they came in - they hold the knives snugly and make them look premium for knives that are on the cheaper end.

Back