Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 106383

TF (Teruyasu Fujiwara) has quite an enthusiastic following on KKF. Wanting to find out for myself I picked up a Morihei fine finish version from ryanjams on BST. White #1 core steel with soft iron cladding and a karouchi finish. Pakka western style handle. Blade length 248mm, edge length 246mm, 53mm deep at the heel and 2.84mm thick also at the heel. 237 gms. Here’s a few pics ...

View attachment 106386

View attachment 106387

Continuing my learning with my new Anova Precision Oven I picked up a cheap blade roast and prepped it for a 16hr sous vide cook in the Anova. After 14 hours at 135F and 100% steam the TF revealed a roast finished like this.

View attachment 106388

A little rare for my taste but a nice crust, though. two more hours at 155F and 100% steam yielded this result for the TF.

View attachment 106389

View attachment 106390

View attachment 106391

Thoughts about the TF? ... Perfect for a working kitchen. I love the grind and steel. The balance is perfect for me in a pinch grip. White #1 sharpens beautifullly and requires only the occasional stropping/steel to maintain the edge. F&F ... the blade is great ... the rest suitable for a busy kitchen. It won’t be leaving my collection and I’ll enjoy using it for the next few months. Oh yes .... the roast finished perfectly, nice and tender.

Does the morihei FF come in two versions? This one is KU - but the FF that I got is not KU - so that means there must be 2 versions of the Morihei FF knife

20201214_142830.jpg

I should probably take some better pics, but I'm supposed to be working.

Hitohira Kikuchiyo (Nakagawa from Shiraki Hamono) x Ren (Morihiro's Grandson) 180mm Santoku in White 2. Fit and finish is very good (rounding on everything is very good - very much like my Kono FM). Concave Wide bevel grind.

Going to be interesting to try out.

View attachment 106383

TF (Teruyasu Fujiwara) has quite an enthusiastic following on KKF. Wanting to find out for myself I picked up a Morihei fine finish version from ryanjams on BST. White #1 core steel with soft iron cladding and a karouchi finish. Pakka western style handle. Blade length 248mm, edge length 246mm, 53mm deep at the heel and 2.84mm thick also at the heel. 237 gms. Here’s a few pics ...

View attachment 106386

View attachment 106387

Continuing my learning with my new Anova Precision Oven I picked up a cheap blade roast and prepped it for a 16hr sous vide cook in the Anova. After 14 hours at 135F and 100% steam the TF revealed a roast finished like this.

View attachment 106388

A little rare for my taste but a nice crust, though. two more hours at 155F and 100% steam yielded this result for the TF.

View attachment 106389

View attachment 106390

View attachment 106391

Thoughts about the TF? ... Perfect for a working kitchen. I love the grind and steel. The balance is perfect for me in a pinch grip. White #1 sharpens beautifullly and requires only the occasional stropping/steel to maintain the edge. F&F ... the blade is great ... the rest suitable for a busy kitchen. It won’t be leaving my collection and I’ll enjoy using it for the next few months. Oh yes .... the roast finished perfectly, nice and tender.
Congrats. Glad my old Morihei TF has found its forever home :)
Just too long for me in a home kitchen otherwise I would have kept it. These TF's take a superb blue patina.

Congrats. Glad my old Morihei TF has found its forever home :)
Just too long for me in a home kitchen otherwise I would have kept it. These TF's take a superb blue patina.
I’m thrilled to have it and I really get why TF has such a great following. My preference in knives is a rustic, reactive finish. TF checks all the marks in that regard. I don’t have a problem with and, in fact slightly prefer, a longer knife. As a home cook I adjust my technique to the knife. That’s part of my enjoyment as trying to understand what the maker was trying to accomplish. The won’t be my last TF.

View attachment 106383

View attachment 106386

View attachment 106387

View attachment 106388

View attachment 106389

View attachment 106390

View attachment 106391

I have the same knife in the 210mm. I feel the same way about it. Awesome to use but a bit rough when you have a closer look. Mine is 217g and feels solid but balanced. F&F on my blade is good but handle is not the best like you say. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I'm very glad I picked it up and really enjoy using it.
Does the morihei FF come in two versions? This one is KU - but the FF that I got is not KU - so that means there must be 2 versions of the Morihei FF knife
There is both a stainless clad maboroshi equivalent and a kuro iron clad like this one. Both came in regular and fine finish.

These two pages show all of the iterations as far as I'm aware (also some other non-TF morihei knives). Morihei

I looked at the 240 'fine finish' and I gotta say that's a lotta money for a knife that has a worse kasumi than I can put on a knife myself 🤷‍♂️

especially because on the same site you can look at the Tanaka x Kyuzo Hitohiro knives with absolutely stunning looking finishes, nicer handles and apparently better f&f.

maybe they're nice knives beyond that but if you label a knife as having better finish it would be nice for it at least look like it lives up to that.

for example:
1607981904894.png

View attachment 106392

I should probably take some better pics, but I'm supposed to be working.

Hitohira Kikuchiyo (Nakagawa from Shiraki Hamono) x Ren (Morihiro's Grandson) 180mm Santoku in White 2. Fit and finish is very good (rounding on everything is very good - very much like my Kono FM). Concave Wide bevel grind.

Going to be interesting to try out.
Been thinking about trying this out, but in 240mm gyuto. Any input after your usage is greatly appreciated.

Second hand JNS mazaki 240.
nothing flashy but this bad girl should be good fun.

I have a Y. Tanaka x Yohei 240 blue 1 gyuto and K&S Kasumi 240 Mazaki on their way to me at this moment, need to get some reps in with the Maz before they get here and take all of my attention.

Attachments

• 001C9E0B-E8A2-405F-AB3A-EDCA01B8F034.png
    001C9E0B-E8A2-405F-AB3A-EDCA01B8F034.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • F7BC33D6-CA34-4E41-A97C-1979FE016EE0.png
    F7BC33D6-CA34-4E41-A97C-1979FE016EE0.png
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • 3CCE16ED-FE79-4CBA-A608-B8984479F74C.png
    3CCE16ED-FE79-4CBA-A608-B8984479F74C.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
40017665ob.jpeg

Light-Show !!! 😎

The knife called "Falcon Funayuki"
It’s made by a 17years old very talented german pupil named Simon Herde living in the north of germany.

Steel is Sandvik 14c28n / 4mm thick on the handle with 20cm sharp cutting edge. The knife has an outstanding crowned grind. It is not a laser geometry, but it cuts like this.

be soulful, kup

Got my first deba a few weeks ago, so far I am enjoying it a lot! It is this one: Mumei NOS Hand Forged VG-10 Deba 165mm Ho Wood Handle (B Grade Discounted)

Bought it from a new knife vendor in the Netherlands who is a joy to work with.

F&F was a bit rough but it was to be expected for this price and it being a B grade knife. The grind on the other hand seems pretty good and is usable already, will take a few sharpenings for it to really even out and get a nice kasumi of the stones.

IMG_1061.JPG

Thanks... I'll keep an eye on them. Bit far for me to travel but I'm sure he'll get a webshop going soon enough given the current situation.

Back