Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best bang for buck imo. Really like mine. HT is top notch, gets screaming sharp with a few strops, and the overall shape of the blade works great. I thought about getting another one. I'm afraid the day they won't be easy to pick up

I noticed my Munetoshi from JNS has the exact same profile as my Kaeru from JNS, so I wonder if he's commissioning specific profiles from his smiths. The fit and finish on my Kaeru is well above Munetoshi and came in at a lower price point, so I doubt it's the same smith. Regardless, I'm loving the look and feel of this Munetoshi, can't wait to use it on some meals in the near future.

Back when I was knee deep in this hobby, I focused heavily on American made blades such as DT, Marko, Rader, Haburn, etc and now that I'm getting back into it, I'm loving exploring Japanese knives again. The bang for the buck is just amazing!

There's always a chance TF-V will change directions towards higher quality.
There have already been improvements. Grinds are more consistent now.....and in a good way. However handle (red handle seems pretty good though) and bolster F&F is stubbornly sh!te.

Milan Gravier 250x63mm with oval boxwood handle
20201221_142400.jpg

My tracking info from Mr Kamon hasn't updated in 5 days so I'm guessing the knife is stuck in border closure purgatory. 😭 (I'm in the UK)

I never thought I'd sell my 240 Kochi Migaki, but I lent it to a buddy who kept bugging me to sell it to her. When I saw that JKI had a 270 in stock, I thought "what the hell" and sold the 240 to get its big brother.

Specs are 54mm at the heel, 275 cutting edge, and only 202 grams. Although its spine is not super thick coming out of the handle, it has a nice constant taper all the way down to the tip. Can't wait to try it out!

20201223_071339~2.jpg

20201223_071413~2.jpg

Got a solid pair of blades yesterday.

Isasmedjan honyaki gyuto 240. I wanted about 240 honyaki and chose a crazy handle-wood. Rest was up to Jonas to decide, and boy did he deliver. 135cr3, buffalo ferrule and 267 g. The tip is thin and a dream for onions. This might be the new go-to knife for some time.

Birgersson Blades double-sided deba 160. Was asking about a knife to abuse in a FB-group, and things developed in a nice way. I’ve flattened the sides on it, but my kasumi skills are not that good.

Yu Kurosaki Ao 2 rainbow Damascus 210 Gyuto.

It’s hard to get a good photo of this with the mirror polish, but here it is.

This knife is from the prototype batch that Kurosaki San made to test out this line. I was informed that he will make others in VG10 rainbow, but this is the only batch of Ao2.

For a little background -
I periodically make handles for him and purchase his knives. We exchange simple correspondence, but I don’t speak/read Japanese and the same with him and English, so some things get lost in translation.

When I saw these, I reached out to him to let him know how much I loved them and I was able to get this Gyuto.

This is a knife that I will appreciate for both the quality and spirit.

View attachment 105994View attachment 105995View attachment 105996
fabulous...and I never use that word cuz it's crazy outdated, but in this case...wow

ok...possibly a stupid question but is it odd for the blade to slide out of the handle? I mean, I know they do as you can change your handles and so forth but should it be a real process to remove it or is it a situation where if you just pull a little harder than normal it can slide right out?

ok...possibly a stupid question but is it odd for the blade to slide out of the handle? I mean, I know they do as you can change your handles and so forth but should it be a real process to remove it or is it a situation where if you just pull a little harder than normal it can slide right out?
You definitely shouldn't be able to just use your bare hands to pull the handle off, without loosening it up in any way.

You definitely shouldn't be able to just use your bare hands to pull the handle off, without loosening it up in any way.
what's the remedy then, because my Munetoshi Gyuto pulled out while I was washing it. Went back in and feels pretty stable but came out really easily to be honest.

really? yeah, I do.

I’ve changed handles two times, so I’m an internet expert. I stuffed some pieces of glue stick in the handle, heated the tang with the gas torch, and insert. The hard part was getting a bit glue to seal the opening. Added some glue after, but it got a bit messy. Lesson. Fun thing that even I managed to do.

I think @RDalman mentioned this:

You can use a small pellet of glue and push it in there and touch it with a hot piece of steel to melt and seal up the hole.

I guess doing the same with beeswax for a less permanent type of install would work as well.

what's the remedy then, because my Munetoshi Gyuto pulled out while I was washing it. Went back in and feels pretty stable but came out really easily to be honest.
I wanted to mention this on another thread but as it already started without me, I pulled out the blade on my Munetoshi gyuto 240 out of the handle without any strength needed. (doesn't bother me too much as I know it's an easy fix but I must admit I didn't expected that to be happening often)
Is your knife new ?

I’ve changed handles two times, so I’m an internet expert. I stuffed some pieces of glue stick in the handle, heated the tang with the gas torch, and insert. The hard part was getting a bit glue to seal the opening. Added some glue after, but it got a bit messy. Lesson. Fun thing that even I managed to do.
Use beeswax. Can melt and pour it in or ball it up and push it in. Scrape off excess.

Hot/melt glue in the tang slot to hold it. Beeswax to fill in the opening afterwards.

EDIT: If you have a tight friction fit on the handle and tang, beeswax is enough to give that little extra 'holding power'.
Ok cheers I like the beeswax solution to seal the opening. will probably do that.

I wanted to mention this on another thread but as it already started without me, I pulled out the blade on my Munetoshi gyuto 240 out of the handle without any strength needed. (doesn't bother me too much as I know it's an easy fix but I must admit I didn't expected that to be happening often)
Is your knife new ?
Yep.

I wish more handles came off so easily. It would be easier to change (for weight distribution, aesthetics) handles; or just pull them off to polish a knife.

Was it true that pulling a handles, after a lot of work with wet ingredients (seafood), was routine Japan? I read that somewhere. Similar reasoning as to why magnolia was preferred- ie. kept grip in wet conditions.

A very mild adhesive such as bees wax can be totally sufficient to properly hold a blade; That assumes that you use normal cutting technique.

Throwing knifes will require a different set up.

Back