Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonna try real hard to make sure this is my last knife purchase of the year lol. hitohira tanaka kyuzo b1 stainless. edge is around 227mm and 51mm at the heel.

txk_001.jpg
txk_002.jpg
txk_003.jpg

Now, that's a very cool knife. I don't know how people score these, I am never, ever fast enough to even view the Xerxes I like before it sells. That's why i was so glad when I made it to one of the mass drops, to bad it wasn't meant to be. I am glad Jannis is able to make knives again even though I might not be able to get one.
Ditto, I even set a reminder 5 minutes before this time. By the time I got out of my meeting I was already chasing dust 😂

Now, that's a very cool knife. I don't know how people score these, I am never, ever fast enough to even view the Xerxes I like before it sells. That's why i was so glad when I made it to one of the mass drops, to bad it wasn't meant to be. I am glad Jannis is able to make knives again even though I might not be able to get one.

I didn't do anything fancy - smashed f5 for ~15mins, Chrome filled in the forms then Paypal did the rest, the only decision I had to make was insurance or no insurance.

Kirameki Blue 1 270mm Gyuto
259x53 202g

Question for Kagekiyo owners: are they this light and thin? Spine starts at about 3.3mm at the handle and gets thinner from there.

View attachment 244236
View attachment 244237

The Kagekiyo B1 Dammy I got recently is 240x48, spine is 4.71mm thick out the handle and is the thinnest knife bte in my collection (shibata, takamura, recent FM, kono tetsujin)
It was a bit over 230g last time I weighed it, the custom miura handle is very heavy though

Don't have true edge length, no ruler and my calipers only go up to 150mm

Nice! Have you removed any patina or done any polish maintenance yet?
I wanna remove mine and start a new one but I don’t want to mess up the polish
Yes soooo much, I’ve brought it back to refreshed kasumi at least a half dozen times. Using the included uchi stones or just with Uchi powder. Thanks to Ivan it is incredibly easy to do. Makes me realize this is what a quality knife is supposed to be like. Kind of ruins all other knives once you use and polish this one 😬

Always a nice day when you get a new Tanaka in. This time in Aogami Super KU flavor. Stock finish isn't too bad, but I'm gonna be doing a full polish on this one. A little bit of a shame even on a ku knife this expensive the choil and spine aren't done up at all. Never polished a choil/spine before so gonna give that a go.

View attachment 244122
I feel you 😅
Said I was out for a time, but, guess who's got zero will.
Already had a white 2 of Tanaka, wanted to try one with better steel...
Feels solid in hand but ootb edge is the dullest I've ever experienced 😑...so as you said, will polish it (well at least try) and sharpen it before first use.
PXL_20230522_094528730.MP.jpg

(...) wanted to try one with better steel...
I wouldn't say you have zero will, quite the contrary: you wanted it and bought it, despite your self-imposed limitation. It takes quite a strong will to rethink and cancel such a limitation and you have my full respect for this!!! :angel:

I feel you 😅
Already had a white 2 of Tanaka, wanted to try one with better steel...
Feels solid in hand but ootb edge is the dullest I've ever experienced 😑...so as you said, will polish it (well at least try) and sharpen it before first use.
View attachment 244567
Maybe check out Jedy’s WTS post before you make a start on that polish job :p

Wow thanks for the heads up! Will try to sharpen it only then.......
@jedy617 seemed to have issue at getting it sharp...

Wakui WH from JNS

250x59mm
319g
White 2
6mm out the handle

This one really caught my eye. Once I found someone with it, I immediately expressed my interest. This line under Wakui is not readily available at JNS so I had to take my chance.

F&F on this is extremely good (love the rounded spine and choil) given its lower price point, low 300’s. Absolute powerhouse but now overly heavy somehow. A bit more well balanced than the Wat Pro I just got, maybe due to the thicker tang for a better grip.
1C0ED156-85AD-4A12-BCA3-643F22C7AAC3.jpeg
2B346D89-9FBC-4B5E-A50E-D7756D8753BA.jpeg
4ED50B20-34D8-4413-8F80-4BB8CE0419CE.jpeg
A3E568CE-C105-4BD8-92DA-5902AD14F5C9.jpeg
08E523DF-592B-461E-9255-351DF2360FA2.jpeg
74BCFD18-E402-4735-836C-1A7EA330C596.jpeg
365EC56A-B23C-49B2-8851-E23ED150530B.jpeg
32AB6E72-B7AE-47E7-B2C9-DD2CBF0C03F8.jpeg

And heres a video (@ 6 seconds you can hear Bruce meow)

And heres a quick cutting video on an old pepper I had laying around. I was never good at these videos.

Last edited:
Back