Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they still suboiku if they are all damascus clad? I thought suboiku was an etch on standard cladding? Very confused now lol. I suppose you could have a suboiku etch on damascus but all damascus is etched so that sounds a lot like calling tobacco toasted.

Been hunting for a nine gyuto for awhile after I got my petty and have been loving it. Thanks to the kind gentleman who let me have this one. Wrought iron clad, just did a little polish on my uchigumori, looking great.

rob.jpg
rob1.jpg
rob2.jpg
rob3.jpg

Are they still suboiku if they are all damascus clad? I thought suboiku was an etch on standard cladding? Very confused now lol. I suppose you could have a suboiku etch on damascus but all damascus is etched so that sounds a lot like calling tobacco toasted.
It’s a suiboku etch on damascus. It looks different that a standard etched damascus (there are non etched ones btw, like Toyama)

How can you tell the difference between Tanaka and Nakagawa? Is it the kanji?
Their suminagashi is much different looking, check out the nakagawa in the middle, the pattern is much less tight, the dama is in bigger "waves".

Personally, never loved Nakagawas damascus, but the suiboku polish on it is definitely the best iteration of it I have ever seen, I quite like it. Still gotta be Y. Tanaka for me though, hope he still does Tanaka too

I present to you ladies and mostly gentlemen… the Suiboku 240 Suminigashi forged by Nakagawa-San

View attachment 258432View attachment 258433View attachment 258434View attachment 258435

The last one is for comparison
210 Suiboku Suminigashi by Tanaka
240 Suiboku Suminigashi by Nakagawa
240 Suiboku Suminigashi by Tanaka

Thinking about switching out one of the handles but not sure yet.
Nakagawa might have my favorite dammy period (for my tastes) so the suiboku etch/finish looks VERY compelling to me.

Where are people getting their Takadas from? Not quite my vibe, but I’ve not seen any in stock at any retailer for a very long time now.

250mm Carbon from Birch and Bevel. I don't know if the first round was like this but this guy is thin. The tip is flexible and whisper thin. The front 2/3 of the blade flexes across your nail

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_224736373.jpg
    PXL_20230729_224736373.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230729_224659709.jpg
    PXL_20230729_224659709.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230729_224748986.jpg
    PXL_20230729_224748986.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230729_224820614.jpg
    PXL_20230729_224820614.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
@nickrut Not crazy to think that. It's the swept-back blade (at the heel) and the low, relatively flat tip. Honestly I think all the Birch and Bevel stuff looks A+. They are essentially Spare or Isasmedjan x MH collabs for 2-400+ dollars cheaper than you would otherwise pay. I think if I were to go back in time and only purchase one premium knife for myself it would be the B&B wrought-clad Apex.

Last edited:
Taste is subjective but those handles are stunning, no idea why you would want to swap them out!
Because his knives are too lightweight for Ebony handles they pull the balance back Way too much. My Nakagawa forged regular 240 Suiboku has a Zebrawood handle that is perfect for it.

I do worry about how he installs handles because I don’t want to lose these handles. The horns on the 240s are the prettiest I think I’ve ever seen.
How can you tell the difference between Tanaka and Nakagawa? Is it the kanji?
The Nakagawa does have different Kanji but you can tell by the patterns. Both of them have very distinctive patters on their Suminigashi.

However you can tell the difference by looking at how the Suiboku etch looks on the regular knives. Nakagawa yields a smoother iridescent sparkle while Tanaka has more ripples in his cladding
Yes they are pretty distinct. I have a couple other Tanaka Damascus, one is Hitohira Tanaka/Yohei and it looks completely different (Takada is Yohei btw). I can post to show you if u want

Where are people getting their Takadas from? Not quite my vibe, but I’ve not seen any in stock at any retailer for a very long time now.

I would also want to know how are they getting them Takada’s unless people are grabbing it directly from his shop. 😮‍💨 Im already losing hope and just give up trying to chase that knife.

I would also want to know how are they getting them Takada’s unless people are grabbing it directly from his shop. 😮‍💨 Im already losing hope and just give up trying to chase that knife.
Never been to Japan. I do have really good relationships with some of the suppliers though.

I just got lucky with most of them. Although my first couple I got before the hype. I bought one thinking it’s turn into the Masamoto KS in ‘18. I was right from the get go and the knife didn’t disappoint.

I spread cutting videos of them to a bunch of my knife buddies so they could see the release they have. His work is so good it took like a year max for his stuff to be sought after like they are Shigefusa and Yoshiaki Fujiwara. I think it helped take Nakagawa to the level he’s at today too.

Tanaka is great and is one of my favorites, amd does some of the best Damascus in the world (not to mention his Heat treatment), but Nakagawa is getting right there with him as far as Sakai knives are concerned.

For stock handles, Takada No Hamono's ebony handles fit and finish are stellar. Where the tang and handle meets, they use a piece of perfectly trim wood to hide all gaps. The handles gives the light blade some much needed overall weight. The dual color horns are lovely too. I like their stock handles a lot.

Last edited:
For stock handles, Takada No Hamono's ebony handles fit and finish are stellar. Where the tang and handle meets, they use a piece of perfectly trim wood to hide all gaps. The handles gives the light blade some much needed overall weight. The dual color horns are lovely too. I like their stock handles a lot.
I will say both of my 240 Damascus takada knives have a significant enough more height that it makes them heavier than some of my other Takada no Hamono.

In my ideal world, one of them would have a Tahei Persimmon handle…. Those handles are my white whale, and they won’t sell them individually or put them on anything other than honyaki blades (some exceptions obviously). My best hope would be to buy a honyaki, knock of the persimmon and then sell the blade on here- I wouldn’t be the first

I will say both of my 240 Damascus takada knives have a significant enough more height that it makes them heavier than some of my other Takada no Hamono.

In my ideal world, one of them would have a Tahei Persimmon handle…. Those handles are my white whale, and they won’t sell them individually or put them on anything other than honyaki blades (some exceptions obviously). My best hope would be to buy a honyaki, knock of the persimmon and then sell the blade on here- I wouldn’t be the first
Those persimmon handles are on another level. I have also found myself wishing they sold them by themselves as well. That would look perfect in the suiboku nakagawa dammy

Came home from work and I have this waiting for me. Told myself i’ll take shots of it tomorrow when I wake up but it’s actually keeping me up. So I decided to take snaps of it. All of those missed opportunities on certain knives and been taking L’s because it’s either i’m sleeping or working at the kitchen (Time difference is a damn b*tch) is now compensated. I remember when I kept telling myself “One day I will own a Honyaki.” Saved up enough money for it and that day finally came. 😊👍🏼🔪 Here’s my newest addition to my collection.
Hitohira Togashi Notaremon White #1 Mizu Honyaki Gyuto 240mm Kurokaki Persimmon Handle (#067)
23953FE3-9D92-492E-B254-14347C19F205.jpeg
B5BAF896-3635-4B83-8267-174D5E43350E.jpeg
7131E576-17E4-4C41-961F-45F8B05417E9.jpeg
7A438FD3-3D19-46C6-985B-CA1D9AA473DA.jpeg
5056CC9A-2224-42C7-A2A5-3781C8B10B08.jpeg
EB7FD00C-56D7-47D6-B8E4-F0C3E211BEB3.jpeg
538CF119-30B8-4E13-A964-43BD79005A5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back