Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Bidinger symmetrical B-grind gyuto in banded A2 with a western handle tapering from 4mm. Handle is out of burlap micarta with purple/maroon ritchlite liners.

Length heel to tip: 223mm
Height at heel: 50mm
Weight: 187g

IMG_9691.jpeg
IMG_9690.jpeg
IMG_9710.jpeg
IMG_9717.jpeg

Video from Dan showing the knife better than I can:

My third blue 1 240mm kagekiyo. This time, straight up crip. Kagekiyo. I have yet to try another another Sakai blue 1 gyuto that I liked better.

Attachments

• 6F21193D-18B0-4AC0-8CBC-00F709C48615.jpeg
    6F21193D-18B0-4AC0-8CBC-00F709C48615.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 14931513-1713-4BB8-9441-17CD8CBE9636.jpeg
    14931513-1713-4BB8-9441-17CD8CBE9636.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F2C77B0A-EB8E-48A8-93EE-A00D1F8EB466.jpeg
    F2C77B0A-EB8E-48A8-93EE-A00D1F8EB466.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Finally decided to get on the KnifeJapan train. The Okubo takenoko nakiri had caught my eye (especially after @tostadas awesome work on one) but from past experience with full size cleavers I was pretty sure it'd be too heavy for my liking. On the other hand, the 170 nakiri on the site is the same size or smaller as the half dozen other nakiri I've caught and released due to being too small. When I heard that Michael could arrange custom orders, I reached out and inquired about my search for the perfect XL nakiri.

Michael is just a delight to work with - despite catching him on vacation and navigating around Japanese holidays, medical incidents, and my indecision about some specs, the whole process was both unfailingly cheerful and spooky fast: from my reaching out to a finished custom-made knife (in probably the most secure packaging on any knife I've bought anywhere) on my doorstep took less than a month.

Okubo-san hit my requested specs dead on at 191x71, a little over 5mm out of the handle/4.5mm over heel/3.8mm at the pinch, and 280g. As expected, the finish is pretty rough and grind is on the thick side. But the balance and size are exactly what I was hoping for--the extra 10mm in both dimensions are what I was missing on my old Wat Pro. Really looking forward to tuning it up and seeing what it can do!

PXL_20230904_200644798.jpg

PXL_20230904_202803170.jpg

Finally decided to get on the KnifeJapan train. The Okubo takenoko nakiri had caught my eye (especially after @tostadas awesome work on one) but from past experience with full size cleavers I was pretty sure it'd be too heavy for my liking. On the other hand, the 170 nakiri on the site is the same size or smaller as the half dozen other nakiri I've caught and released due to being too small. When I heard that Michael could arrange custom orders, I reached out and inquired about my search for the perfect XL nakiri.

Michael is just a delight to work with - despite catching him on vacation and navigating around Japanese holidays, medical incidents, and my indecision about some specs, the whole process was both unfailingly cheerful and spooky fast: from my reaching out to a finished custom-made knife (in probably the most secure packaging on any knife I've bought anywhere) on my doorstep took less than a month.

Okubo-san hit my requested specs dead on at 191x71, a little over 5mm out of the handle/4.5mm over heel/3.8mm at the pinch, and 280g. As expected, the finish is pretty rough and grind is on the thick side. But the balance and size are exactly what I was hoping for--the extra 10mm in both dimensions are what I was missing on my old Wat Pro. Really looking forward to tuning it up and seeing what it can do!

View attachment 267027
View attachment 267028

Welcome aboard! :)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

View attachment 267027
View attachment 267028
Need to follow up with Michael, I might shift focus to a honyaki piece

View attachment 267027
View attachment 267028
Welcome to the club. Michael and Okubo are awesome and yeah super simple and crazy fast. I love my monster. Surprised it fit in his water quench tub. I just did a long prep Bahamian peas and rice with brown stewed chicken and used nothing but the Okubo. Balanced well and didn’t wear me out. It is a thick grind, but I didn’t notice it other than some larger carrots you could hear half way through the crack. The weight makes most things effortless with a good rhythm.
IMG_0781.jpeg

Welcome to the club. Michael and Okubo are awesome and yeah super simple and crazy fast. I love my monster. Surprised it fit in his water quench tub. I just did a long prep Bahamian peas and rice with brown stewed chicken and used nothing but the Okubo. Balanced well and didn’t wear me out. It is a thick grind, but I didn’t notice it other than some larger carrots you could hear half way through the crack. The weight makes most things effortless with a good rhythm.
View attachment 267043
Love that Koa handle! Did you thin yours or are you using the original grind?

Love that Koa handle! Did you thin yours or are you using the original grind?
Thanks that Koa was a custom from @tostadas. It was fun putting it on this beast. No I didn't thin it, I am using the original grind. I have thin grinds, but I did do some sharpening on it though and it took a really nice edge. To me this is wabi sabi perfection which is a bit of a oxymoron really.

Just got my first single bevel knives, a Hitohira Togashi White #1 Tachi Yanagiba 270mm, and a Hitohira Gorobei Blue #2 Deba 165mm. I don't have any practical need for these, but I catch enough fish and I'm bad enough at processing them that I figured it would be fun to learn how to do it Japanese style, and fun to learn how to sharpen them. But I'm a bit nervous about the sharpening... plan to watch a whole bunch of JKI videos before attempting.
Single_bevels_c.jpg
Single_bevels_d.jpg

Kaeru kasumi stainless 150mm petty & 240 gyuto. The petty has some discoloration on the ferrule & the gyuto arrived ever so slightly tipped. It’s a bit hard to see in a photo but 100% can feel it with your finger & see the flaws from packaging.

0C57AB38-6B5E-4B3E-9C9C-DE0D2A67C669.jpeg
FD371759-D48B-4EB8-979B-9F7A14D1A67E.jpeg
33184456-46C4-4598-90AC-F320182DA77E.jpeg
A38CC0CF-08E4-4800-85C1-C028EBFB5BEC.jpeg
ED511F4F-C167-4F82-9F53-55AB29ECC140.jpeg
8CC0BCB4-FE55-4241-9D5D-5E05674EF4C6.jpeg

I’m excited to use these as new work knives and might use them as project knives a bit. The F&F is a bit rough so I’ll probably try to round the spine and choil. There is also a LOT of glue from the handle which I’ll try and clean up a bit.

The cigarette smell came with no additional charge, although I’d have opted to avoid it if possible lol.

Thanks @tostadas for convincing me!

So, I'm not necessarily a fan of Damascus per se. I view it as window dressing mostly, and find some of the more aggressive versions unappealing. However, I recently "backed into" a Damascus knife. I wanted a 180x55 Santoku, specifically a Toyama or Watanabe. Nothing is available stainless clad, and the only steel clad available happened to be Damascus. So I bought one. I have to say I love this knife! I didn't fully understand or appreciate the difference between a steel clad Toyama and a stainless clad one. The extra weight of the steel, and Damascus even more so, really lends to plowing through veg. Mine is 182x54. Been living with it for a few weeks now; an unreal performer.

View attachment 266766
I'm not a fan of Damascus either, but that is a striking knife.

View attachment 267027
View attachment 267028The bevels will polish beautifully - ugly duckling to swan style. Lucky you!

The bevels will polish beautifully - ugly duckling-swan style. Lucky you!

Kaeru kasumi stainless 150mm petty & 240 gyuto. The petty has some discoloration on the ferrule & the gyuto arrived ever so slightly tipped. It’s a bit hard to see in a photo but 100% can feel it with your finger & see the flaws from packaging.

View attachment 267111View attachment 267112View attachment 267113View attachment 267114View attachment 267115View attachment 267116

I’m excited to use these as new work knives and might use them as project knives a bit. The F&F is a bit rough so I’ll probably try to round the spine and choil. There is also a LOT of glue from the handle which I’ll try and clean up a bit.

The cigarette smell came with no additional charge, although I’d have opted to avoid it if possible lol.

Thanks @tostadas for convincing me!
Did you get it from JNS by any chance? If so, I recently got some free cigarette smell as a gift from Maksim together with a paid for stone and a knife ))) The stone and the knife are brilliant! I am sure the smell will go away at some point )))

Couldn’t resist this Hyde any longer. If you like thicker spines and very, very thin behind the edge, he‘s the man. Thicker spine gives it a solid, rigid feel, while the extreme taper from spine to edge makes for an exceptionally smooth cutter. Looking forward to using it more to see how the patina develops over the damascus cladding.
IMG_3890.jpeg
IMG_3889.jpeg
IMG_3887.jpeg

How do you like the knife?
Haven’t seen much knives/talks of/about Krichbaum around here!

Was thinking of maybe getting one of moderncooking

Great F&F, love the balance, and that takedown handle is something. You can unscrew by the end of the handle and perform maintenance easily, needs no glue to keep it secure. Makes for easy swapping too for different handle material if you'd like.

Simon worked for @martinhuber so definitely an esteemed smith himself.

Finally received this knife. Waited about 3-4 weeks for it. Once I got my hands on it, I didn’t waste time to take out the Ho Handle and install a better one. Well here’s my new Hitohira Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo Ginsan 240mm Gyuto with custom Spalted Sycamore handle from @JoBone. F&F never fails with Hitohira. This knife really gets thin behind the edge just like the other Ginsan Knives from the other sharpeners like Ren and Izo Ginsan’s. 😊👍👌🏼🔪🖤
IMG_9368.jpeg
7564996C-3084-4F3A-9BF3-24456163261F.jpeg
4541D249-74F0-4C53-80EC-BB33E3965863.jpeg
A464C6D3-0EC0-4A24-B978-507CD20ED647.jpeg
03F458CD-8B0B-48F0-8D1D-7C91BA672D04.jpeg
87EDB109-0E91-41F0-8D81-2624E836AE72.jpeg

Back