Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You also seal the ferrule / blade intersection?
Yes, I tape up the areas of the blade where I don't want the epoxy to mess up, then use a toothpick or something small to try and fill in all the gaps in the ferrule so that water doesn't get in.

Thanks, makes sense. Maybe epoxy paste would be easier to manage for this application?
I just used the basic hardware store 2part liquid epoxy at the time (2-3yrs ago) and it's still holding fine. Get something to hold the knife upright so it doesnt drip toward the blade. Or give the epoxy a little time before applying it if it's too runny.

I would seal the gaps with neutral cure RTV (also called silicone) or beeswax. I think RTV is more permanent but it's a little fussier. For RTV, I just a toothpick and paper towels to wipe away excess. For beeswax, you can kind of soften it with your fingers and shove it in. Haven't used epoxy but it sounds fussier to me.

@tostadas I have some 5min 2-part liquid epoxy, will try that! It firms pretty quickly so I don't have to hold the knife in place for too long.

@superworrier never tried RTV, will look into it. I have a ton of beeswax at home but I'm nervous about it washing / rubbing away with use... it's probably fine but something more permanent sounds better IMO

@tostadas I have some 5min 2-part liquid epoxy, will try that! It firms pretty quickly so I don't have to hold the knife in place for too long.

@superworrier never tried RTV, will look into it. I have a ton of beeswax at home but I'm nervous about it washing / rubbing away with use... it's probably fine but something more permanent sounds better IMO
After trying to clean melted beeswax, I'm not worried about it washing away at all. But RTV has definitely been pretty ideal for me here. It's a pretty firm gel that hardens into rubber, and it's easy to remove if you rehandle.

So, I just got back from three weeks in Japan. These two were my stowaways on the flight back home: Anryu VG10 Migaki Finished Damascus 240 Gyuto with oak handle and Yoshimi Kato Hammered R2/SG2

Attachments

• Anryu VG10 Migaki Finished Damascus 240 Gyuto with oak handle  and Yoshimi Kato Hammered R2:SG2.jpeg
    Anryu VG10 Migaki Finished Damascus 240 Gyuto with oak handle and Yoshimi Kato Hammered R2:SG2.jpeg
    12.8 MB · Views: 0
Thrilled to see this, ordered this curve back maguro bocho from jikko a long time ago, and great thanks for my friend picking it up for me in person in Japan ( what a shame that I can't be there). shipping along with it would also be some great Jnats. Can't wait to see them in my collection.

Attachments

• 6c6292cc040c1002e084495395a5ca.MP4
    4.4 MB
Yes, I tape up the areas of the blade where I don't want the epoxy to mess up, then use a toothpick or something small to try and fill in all the gaps in the ferrule so that water doesn't get in.
When I got the Wok Shop cleaver I used hot melt glue to fill the voids and then colored it with a black sharpy to match the blade. Well before I changed out the handle, but it worked great for me.

Just bought one of these to play around with. It's my first venture into Iron-clad land.

Anryu Kurouchi, 165, Shiro 2View attachment 264449

I have the old version of that made by Anryu before his nephew took over. Great blade and it was my first one too. I liked it so much I bought the matching petty to go with it.

Been waiting to bring back some knives from Dan Bidinger, glad to have finally made it out to the states so I could pick them up. First is this right sided B-grind gyuto in CPM-154 with a western redwood handle tapering from 4.7mm at the handle.

Length heel to tip: 240mm
Height at heel: 56mm
Weight: 220g

IMG_9586.JPG
IMG_9579.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG

Some pics from Dan too that are better than mine:

6DB542F1-3136-4B6F-AC85-CBFF4E25E3F7.jpg
1851F95D-2B1B-4DBC-A850-7D93BA5A7E5A.jpg
FD269999-6280-45DD-8596-F4A7D0159182.jpg

Last edited: