Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent Toyama KU 240 purchase from a great forum member, one of my dream knife when I first started.

20230817_164811.jpg

Different than the regular SS Toyama that it has a definite transition between the shinogi and bevel; so it leans more wide-bevel than full convex.

20230817_164931.jpg

Also a bit more hefty at 226g instead of ~200g. Still has that right hand biased convex grind that cuts like a dream. Great grind, great steel, quintessential Sanjo experience.

Recent Toyama KU 240 purchase from a great forum member, one of my dream knife when I first started.

View attachment 262827

Different than the regular SS Toyama that it has a definite transition between the shinogi and bevel; so it leans more wide-bevel than full convex.

View attachment 262829

Also a bit more hefty at 226g instead of ~200g. Still has that right hand biased convex grind that cuts like a dream. Great grind, great steel, quintessential Sanjo experience.

I always wondered if the grind was different between KU and migaki Toyamas… makes sense

I always wondered if the grind was different between KU and migaki Toyamas… makes sense
I'll have to get a large carrot to test it on to see if it's as lasery smooth as a SS Toyama was. But first sweet potato test seems promising, I can feel a bevel transition but no wedging.

I've been intrigued by NOS Sabatiers for a while, been waiting to find an 8" and finally picked one up. It's quite short at the heel, just 41mm, and the handle is almost comically small like a child's toy. Grind is slightly hollow near the spine and very convex towards an axe-like edge. Taper is nice, but thicker at the tip than I'd like. Generous flat spot at the back. Definitely an interesting piece.

1X0A1824.JPG

I've been intrigued by NOS Sabatiers for a while, been waiting to find an 8" and finally picked one up. It's quite short at the heel, just 41mm, and the handle is almost comically small like a child's toy. Grind is slightly hollow near the spine and very convex towards an axe-like edge. Taper is nice, but thicker at the tip than I'd like. Generous flat spot at the back. Definitely an interesting piece.

View attachment 262853

may I ask where you got this one?

8” Sabs are usually quite short at the heel. I’ve seen a few NOS with 38mm height, yours is actually not bad. Curiously the 11” and 12” Sabs are more generous, around 55mm and 60mm tall respectively (originally / NOS).

Thinning BTE a bit usually helps with performance.

Last edited:

View attachment 262827

View attachment 262829

I wonder what they treat the blades with to get that nice matte ku finish like that on stainless blades.

may I ask where you got this one?

8” Sabs are usually quite short at the heel. I’ve seen a few NOS with 38mm height, yours is actually not bad. Curiously the 11” and 12” Sabs are more generous, around 55mm and 60mm tall respectively (originally / NOS).

Thinning BTE a bit usually helps with performance.
Good to know about the height. Definitely needs a good thinning, I measured 0.4mm behind the edge. I got mine at sabatier-shop.com, they still have them available.

Bought a Gesshin Kagekiyo 240mm B1 from the recent drop as I wanted to try the Gesshin version. This knife is flawless and Jon/JKI services and products don’t disappoint. Came in measuring 232mm x 52mm (sweet spot) and 155gr. Handle its a work of art as usual.

Used this morning a this thing ghosts through everything. Edge OOTB is excellent. Not a lot of reactivity.

Compared to my wide bevel Fujiyama it’s lighter by 30 grams and the grind is thinner. Feels more nimble but more delicate at the same time.

I believe for what it is this represents great value. F&F, steel, performance, looks, the whole package is there. I’m surprised Kagekiyo’s don’t get more love here.

IMG_7467.jpeg
IMG_7469.jpeg

My trip to the US has turned out to be far more costly than I had imagined lol

At least I can make some contribution to the upcoming UK meet up

From left to right:
1. Kurosaki 210 sg2
2. Tetsujin metal flow 210
3. Myojin 210 ktip sg2
4. Takeda NAS 210
5. Shindo 165 nakiri
6. Edd_works s grind 180 nakiri s35vn
7. Scheepersbuilt 165 bunka 52100

Attachments

• 20230819_125801.JPG
    20230819_125801.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bought a Gesshin Kagekiyo 240mm B1 from the recent drop as I wanted to try the Gesshin version. This knife is flawless and Jon/JKI services and products don’t disappoint. Came in measuring 232mm x 52mm (sweet spot) and 155gr. Handle its a work of art as usual.

Used this morning a this thing ghosts through everything. Edge OOTB is excellent. Not a lot of reactivity.

Compared to my wide bevel Fujiyama it’s lighter by 30 grams and the grind is thinner. Feels more nimble but more delicate at the same time.

I believe for what it is this represents great value. F&F, steel, performance, looks, the whole package is there. I’m surprised Kagekiyo’s don’t get more love here.

View attachment 263112View attachment 263113

I’ve got a white 2 k-tip that cuts like crazy! I’m surprised they don’t get much hype either. Maybe the small heel is a big turn off? I like taller knives but if I need a laser that’s what I grab.

View attachment 263434View attachment 263435View attachment 263436
Dalman 240 honyaki! Finally I got my hands on one of these. I have the joy of using a BB/Dalman 240 and always wanted to use one this. It’s incredible thin, I can’t wait to go back to work!
Would definitely be interested in hearing side by side impressions on those two when you've gotten some mileage on the honyaki. I really enjoy my BBxD and haven't managed to try one of Dalman's s-grinds yet.

View attachment 263112View attachment 263113
They are deserving of the love. Kagekiyos are arguably the greatest knives that come out of Sakai.

I joined KKF a couple months ago seeking advice. My wife wanted to gift me a nice knife for my birthday, something a step above the ho-hum stainless knives I’ve been using for years. With much expert guidance from forum members I settled on a Munetoshi 210 gyuto. And now at long last the wait is over. I unwrapped this bad boy earlier this evening. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet, but compared to what I’m used to it feels like I’m wielding Excalibur in my hand. Happy birthday to me!

View attachment 262754
Love my munetoshi, he doesn’t get enuf love!

I’ve got a white 2 k-tip that cuts like crazy! I’m surprised they don’t get much hype either. Maybe the small heel is a big turn off? I like taller knives but if I need a laser that’s what I grab.
I think it’s the height of the knife that turns people off and it’s price point. My B1 that I always bring to work is only about 46-47mm at the heel. But honestly the performance of the knife makes up for it. I’d really like to get another B1 240mm Gyuto but taller this time.

New to me, Bigersson 245x59x4mm.
Semi work horse - if that’s a term.

Really great cutter and so easy to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_8357.jpeg
    IMG_8357.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8358.jpeg
    IMG_8358.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8359.jpeg
    IMG_8359.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Im impressed. Have read that people were finding to be really impressive cutters, but you know… internet. But this this time, there certainly is truth to it.

I actually wrote Bjørn to tell him how pleased I am with it

I think it’s the height of the knife that turns people off and it’s price point. My B1 that I always bring to work is only about 46-47mm at the heel. But honestly the performance of the knife makes up for it. I’d really like to get another B1 240mm Gyuto but taller this time.
The white 2 are very reasonably priced. I think I got my for right around 370 and the performance (even with the white 2 edge retention) is totally insane for that money. But yeah, the short heel…. I do understand. It’s a factor in why I don’t reach for it as much

Got these two from Vasco of Verissimo Knives!

210 * 56mm gyuto, Apex Ultra core
165 * 59mm bunka, 1.2562 core

Both are Go Mai with wrought iron + nickel cladding, mutene handle with metal bolster

DSC02336-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02354-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02270-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02297-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02303-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02309-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02327-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg
DSC02321-ARW_DxO_HQ.jpg

Love the prominent banding by the nickel layer, super shiny!

Buuuut unfortunately as you can tell, the gyuto had a chipped heel because of shipping from overseas 💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Guess we'll have to fix that

Back