Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG20231017100818sm.jpg

IMG20231017101700sm.jpg

I can't actually afford any food to cut anymore, (I am holding you lot responsible) but this is my haul from my trip to Japan. I have gone from zero to twelve Japanese in the space of ten days. I'll do some individual shots when I get a sec.

Watanabe - 180 Nakiri [Blue #2] (direct)

Watanabe - 210 Gyuto [Blue #2] (direct)

Takodoro Hamono - 270 Gyuto [White #2] (Tokuzo Knives Kapabashi)

Naoto Myojin - 240 Ktip Gyuto [Ginsan] (Tokuzo Knives Kapabashi)

Masamoto Sohonten - 260 KS Gyuto [White #2] (ex display) (Kajiwara Kapabashi)

Masamoto Sohonten - 210 KS Usuba [White #2] (ex display) (Kajiwara Kapabashi)

Masamoto Sohonten - 150 KS Usuba [White #2] (ex display) (Kajiwara Kapabashi)

Masamoto Sohonten - 270 KS Sujihiki [White #2] (Masamoto Tokyo Asakusa store)

Wushoff - Meat fork (Uniion commerce Kapabashi) (yes I know, a wustoff from Japan! but it was half the price than the UK)

Jikko - 180 Gyuto [R2] (Kyoto Store)

Tsujiki Massamoto - Fish Scaler and Boning tweezers

Koutetsu - 190 Battleship [R2] (Direct knife-gallery.com)

Koutetsu - Tinker Tank180 [Aogami Super] (Direct knife-gallery.com)

Takada Hamono - 210 Gyuto [Ginsan] (Visited his workshop)

The Watanabe's and Koutetsus I had delivered to my hotels, which was a bit nerve wracking, but Japanese post is unbeleivable. they were waiting for me when I arrived.

This all started when I promised myself a Watanabe Nakiri when I next went to Japan, and then maybe a cheap Gyuto from Kapabashi. Things kinda escalated. On the plus side I don't need to buy any more for a while, but the Takeda Cleaver does look nice.

Nice Mazaki! I'd say it's my favorite knife for the past couple months. The ebony is probably my favorite of the handles above
I have a migaki petty so I was really surprised with the heft of this when I unboxed it. I think it’s my favorite of the group handle as well. It’s actually an African blackwood handle from Sugi cutlery which I think is different from ebony but I’m not 100% sure. Certainly looks similar.

View attachment 276201
View attachment 276200

I can't actually afford any food to cut anymore, (I am holding you lot responsible) but this is my haul from my trip to Japan. I have gone from zero to twelve Japanese in the space of ten days. I'll do some individual shots when I get a sec.

Wushoff - Meat fork (Uniion commerce Kapabashi) (yes I know, a wustoff from Japan! but it was half the price than the UK)

The Watanabe's and Koutetsus I had delivered to my hotels, which was a bit nerve wracking, but Japanese post is unbeleivable. they were waiting for me when I arrived.

This all started when I promised myself a Watanabe Nakiri when I next went to Japan, and then maybe a cheap Gyuto from Kapabashi. Things kinda escalated. On the plus side I don't need to buy any more for a while, but the Takeda Cleaver does look nice.
That is an epic list. I think the tinker tank is a brilliant knife. Very different from the rest and once you get used to its balance an absolute power lazer chopper. It would be fun comparing the Takeda side by side for sure. But I get familiar with your great collection first!

Such fun to be had!

The new Tetsujin ginsan line was mentioned in the Knife Findings thread, but this is the first time I’ve seen one in the wild. Let us know how it is!

On the plus side I don't need to buy any more for a while, but the Takeda Cleaver does look nice.
Speaking from experience, when desire takes over from need is when knife addiction is at its most dangerous just the start of the descent into knife addiction.

Last edited:
The new Tetsujin ginsan line was mentioned in the Knife Findings thread, but this is the first time I’ve seen one in the wild. Let us know how it is!

Speaking from experience, when desire takes over from need is when knife addiction is at its most dangerous.
That would put me about 10 knives into the dangerous zone, and I’m on the lower end of this addiction spectrum 😂

That ship sailed so long ago that I have to turn around to see it arrive from its journey around the world.
Yeah, I actually take back what I wrote. The most dangerous phase of knife addiction is when you get that existential compulsion to buy increasingly expensive knives just to feel something, and your self-imposed max spend per knife starts casually going up 2-3x each time in quick succession...

Yeah, I actually take back what I wrote. The most dangerous phase of knife addiction is when you get that existential compulsion to buy increasingly expensive knives just to feel something, and your self-imposed max spend per knife starts casually going up 2-3x each time in quick succession...
I’m taking this personally.

I've found the solution to that problem: Get yourself a Kato, and then the other knives feel kinda cheap ;-)

I'm gonna be headed to japan next year some time and want to stop by Takada hamono. As a non-Japanese speaker I've heard a few conflicting things about going there: one person says its not worth it if you don't have a passing knowledge of Japanese and another person may say that they cater to English speaking folks pretty regularly as long as you know what you're asking for. What are your thoughts and experience?

Finally got myself one. Came out great and Shehan was awesome to deal with. Beautiful wrought over W2 with a macassar ebony handle. Love the extra touch with tapering the handle into the tang, very comfortable. Balance and dimensions came out perfect as well. F&F is sooooo smooth, you can tell he pays great attention to detail on all aspects. It was well worth the wait.

235x56mm
249g
Wrought over W2 core
About 4.5mm at the spine out the handle
IMG_3106.jpeg
IMG_3108.jpeg
IMG_3109.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg
IMG_3113.jpeg
IMG_3118.jpeg
IMG_3121.jpeg
IMG_3123.jpeg

Finally got myself one. Came out great and Shehan was awesome to deal with. Beautiful wrought over W2 with a macassar ebony handle. Love the extra touch with tapering the handle into the tang, very comfortable. Balance and dimensions came out perfect as well. F&F is sooooo smooth, you can tell he pays great attention to detail on all aspects. It was well worth the wait.

235x56mm
249g
Wrought over W2 core
About 4.5mm at the spine out the handle
View attachment 276415View attachment 276416View attachment 276418View attachment 276425View attachment 276426View attachment 276427View attachment 276428View attachment 276429
View attachment 276430
View attachment 276431
Maaaaaaaaan every time I see one of these I get a certain type of feels. Beautiful in every way.

I'm gonna be headed to japan next year some time and want to stop by Takada hamono. As a non-Japanese speaker I've heard a few conflicting things about going there: one person says its not worth it if you don't have a passing knowledge of Japanese and another person may say that they cater to English speaking folks pretty regularly as long as you know what you're asking for. What are your thoughts and experience?
Takada San speaks English
He has very little stock so perhaps order in advance for local pickup as he doesn’t send internationally
He is very responsive on IG
I picked up a b1 suminagashi nakagawa gorged 240 gyuto and a ginsan suiboku nakiri
Both beautiful

How about I take that off you hands so you can continue to hunt for the next “must have” knife- the wanting is most of the pleasure after all
I still have that, just primarily for natural stones now 🥴

He spoke pretty good English, I hardly had to use Google translate. Worth letting him know you are coming via Instagram though.

View attachment 276201
View attachment 276200

Wow myojin ginsan, please write a review on it, or better yet come join us at the London meet up on 11/11 at the Blenheim Forge!

I’ve learned there is no such thing as a knife too big, just a board too small.
I'm not even sure why your board needs to be as deep as your knife is long.

@Yoshi it is just a matter of time before you get a 270. We should really have a brochure about this. "You have broken the 240 barrier. What happens now? We will guide you as you explore the upper reaches."

Back