Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I will briefly introduce you to my custom gyuto from Dominik. The smaller one I've posted before was one of his failed attempts where he didn't get the size right. However, since it looked so good, I spontaneously decided to take it. Which I have definitely not regretted!

However, the larger one is a lot better and I like it very much.

Size: 240mm x 60mm
Steel: 1.2562 San Mai Rough Iron KU
Taper: 4.71 mm at the handle, 2.14 mm in the middle, 0.51 mm 1 cm before the tip
Center of gravity: 32mm in front of the handle
Handle: his classic western, stab. amboyna burl with brass pins and black G10 liner
Weight: 302g

The handle feels excellent in the hand. It's nicely taped in the front. This makes the pinch grip very comfortable. The choil and back are also nicely rounded. Thus there are no unpleasant corners and edges. The blade feels nice and front-heavy due to the weight. The front heaviness of the blade takes over part of the work when cutting. Still, it's nicely balanced and feels agile.
The profile doesn't have a flat spot, which is what I wanted and runs nicely round on the board. It is suitable for all cutting techniques. It works particularly well in push cuts. Although the taper is rather moderate, the tip is nice and thin. Cutting onions vertically and horizontally is really fun. The left flank has almost a flat grind over the entire course. The right flank is only minimally convex and almost borders on a flat grind.
It has an easy cut and is completely nail flexing. When cutting cold carrots, 2/3 of the incision is crack free, and you can hear a very quiet ratchet in the last third. The cutting release is good and the clippings are only minimally stuck. But it can be easily stripped off. Perfectly sufficient for me.

I have to say that I am very enthusiastic about Dominik's work. I like the rustic look, the really good workmanship and the delivered performance. For me, in the still price segment, a young top knife maker.

I can now say that I'm a little fanboy of his. For this reason my next knife from him will soon flutter into the house. I am really looking forward to it!

IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG

Little one shown here: Show your newest knife buy

Edit: Quick Video to see the Profile and how it cuts.

Edit2: Also a quick video from the smaller one:

Last edited:
Managed to grab these two recently. The Billipp has been seeing near daily (home) use and only needing a strop to keep it going. The Rader 5 steel is a little older, but still BNIB. The damascus work is flat amazing. I haven't used it yet, but hoping to work up the courage soon :). Feel really fortunate to be holding both of these right now, amazing knives, amazing smiths.
(p.s. - go see my WTS post that comes after a couple big swings like this...!)

Rader Billipp.jpg

Managed to grab these two recently. The Billipp has been seeing near daily (home) use and only needing a strop to keep it going. The Rader 5 steel is a little older, but still BNIB. The damascus work is flat amazing. I haven't used it yet, but hoping to work up the courage soon :)
So it was you that got that Rader😅 it came out of nowhere… Big congrats on the nice pieces💸🔪

Wasn’t going to play for this one

But I woke up an hour before the drop and thought I’d play along. Definitely ticks a lot of boxes on things I wanted to try from Rob, from his side stack pattern, integral design to his take down handle.

TheNine 1084/15N20 208mm

IMG_5197.jpeg

IMG_5198.jpeg

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_5203.jpeg

The damascus pattern almost shimmers in sunlight

A lot of people asking about the future of this one. Maybe it checks my box for Rob’s work …. Or maybe not 😉

Sadly got to wait until tomorrow to test, left the other two at home. Regardless my next release/s are going to be pretty tough to choose 😅

Last edited:
So it was you that got that Rader😅 it came out of nowhere… Big congrats on the nice pieces💸🔪
Well dang! There she is! Glad that Rader went to someone here on kkf at least and I get to see pictures.
Congratulations @Homechef

Thanks, I'm really pumped. The guy was awesome to do business with and spends a little more time in the edc world vs. over here. I'll grab a few more shots and post them up for oogling because that's what this knife deserves! The damascus has a texture to it from what was probably a deep etch and the pattern is just wild. On top of all that is the standard top notch handle work and the saya has a cool inlay. It feels almost as much art as it is knife!

This was about two weeks ago. From Migoto, there wasn’t a stated time.

I just constantly refreshed on two screens strategically 😅

Marlin 52100 and Joel Black wrought on 135cr3

So when the Markin arrived, handling it and looking at the profile, I thought it would be a quick catch and release for me. But it’s so great in use in a way I wouldn’t expect. The profile just works so well, but is kind of completely different than anything else I have.

Holding the JB feels the same way, where is it foreign, and I have no idea how it’ll be in use. It’s fun to try new and different knives. (Compared to my 10ish Sakai and Sanjo knives which all behave as I expect)

IMG_7833.jpeg

Wasn’t going to play for this one

But I woke up an hour before the drop and thought I’d play along. Definitely ticks a lot of boxes on things I wanted to try from Rob, from his side stack pattern, integral design to his take down handle.

TheNine 1084/15N20 205mm

View attachment 255717
View attachment 255718
View attachment 255719
View attachment 255720
View attachment 255721

The damascus pattern almost shimmers in sunlight

A lot of people asking about the future of this one. Maybe it checks my box for Rob’s work …. Or maybe not 😉

Sadly got to wait until tomorrow to test, left the other two at home. Regardless my next release/s are going to be pretty tough to choose 😅
Beautiful pick up my friend! I too have a side stack from Rob that is just beautiful ❤️

Back