Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kip that saved Christmas

IMG_0170.jpeg

Probably not such a surprise. But as nobody ever seemed to say anything bad about Yoshikane I decided to try one.
So, that's it:
Yoshikane santoku, SLD, with stainless cladding, nashiji finish, 16cm. Handle burnt chestnut with black horn ferrule. 132 g.
I was surprised how elegant it looks close up. From online pictures nashiji just looked a bit uneven or pockmarked to me. Still does, even if I tried to capture it.
First test cuts were promising and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_105112.jpg
    IMG_20231204_105112.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231204_104942.jpg
    IMG_20231204_104942.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Received some days agos, and used today for first time.
Ogata petty sg2. It is like a small gyuto. I was wrong because I thought the blade was made only with sg2 steel. It is San Mai construction.
I had doubts about how comfortable is a wa handle because I had not tried this kind of handle before.
I am quite happy with this knife. And, so far, I recommend it.

IMG_20231214_182752243~2.jpg

IMG_20231214_182621092.jpg

What other petty do you know with a similar profile but more affordable? Maybe in carbon steel.

eBay coming through with a 10” Forgecraft for $35! Should keep me busy for a minute with thinning work :)

About have the work wrapped up on this one. Rehandled it with some quarter sawn oak and white micarta to add just a little flair. Lot of 220 grit time thinning down the blade. Steel feels nice and hard and could probably go even a little thinner in the future. Going to enjoy it as is for a bit before messing with any more thinning or anything like that.

Attachments

• Forgecraft handle bottom.jpg
    Forgecraft handle bottom.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Forgecraft handle top.jpg
    Forgecraft handle top.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Forgecraft Left Side.jpg
    Forgecraft Left Side.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Forgecraft Right Side.jpg
    Forgecraft Right Side.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 0
  • Forgecraft New Choil.jpg
    Forgecraft New Choil.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 0
  • Forgecraft Old Choil.jpg
    Forgecraft Old Choil.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 0
Ogata petty sg2. It is like a small gyuto. I was wrong because I thought the blade was made only with sg2 steel. It is San Mai construction.
I had doubts about how comfortable is a wa handle because I had not tried this kind of handle before.

View attachment 287945

View attachment 287946

What other petty do you know with a similar profile but more affordable? Maybe in carbon steel.
Nice pickup! Ogata used to work for Shiro Kamo and you can see the influence in his knives. Cleancut carries several different lines from Shiro Kamo so you can pick your steel/cladding combo. Several of the pettys like this one have similar profile.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knife...8-22-12-33-182013-08-22-12-33-18-2-754-detail

Last edited:

View attachment 287945

View attachment 287946

I wonder if Shiro Kamo in white 2 or blue 2 would be less expensive? I believe he used to be the sharpener there, and their knives have similar profiles.

Giving @Blank Blades. a try, impressed after a few cuts with potatoes tonight. Will have a further thoughts soon

View attachment 288049
View attachment 288050
View attachment 288051
Nice.

In the tests i did. For the overall thinness of the blades stock it seemed to have fairly good food release. I do think doing the hollow ground hira helped a lot.

Also it feels pretty light for such a large blade. At least to me it did.

I hope you washed it first. Idk if i mentioned that. I send them oiled up to avoid rust in shipping.

Nice pickup! Ogata used to work for Shiro Kamo and you can see the influence in his knives. Cleancut carries several different lines from Shiro Kamo so you can pick your steel/cladding combo. Several of the pettys like this one have similar profile.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knife...8-22-12-33-182013-08-22-12-33-18-2-754-detail
This could be a good choice, but for the price.
I would like to get some knife more affordable, and the price difference between the ogata and this shiro kamo is small.
Probably what I want is not easy. Cheap, Japanese, high profile and, if it possible, carbon steel.
A bit lower profile, cheaper and stainless steel option could be this tojiro:
https://amzn.eu/d/aNGzJBv

This could be a good choice, but for the price.
I would like to get some knife more affordable, and the price difference between the ogata and this shiro kamo is small.
Probably what I want is not easy. Cheap, Japanese, high profile and, if it possible, carbon steel.
A bit lower profile, cheaper and stainless steel option could be this tojiro:
https://amzn.eu/d/aNGzJBv

Look at the petties but also the funayuki and bannou.

Picked this up a few days ago on a whim (I was in the pub and happened to be looking at my phone when a JNS email arrived). Kaeru Tanuki (Wakui 'seconds') 300mm Yanagiba:

IMG_1624 (1).jpg

At about $155 inc. delivery I am seriously impressed. A few spots of fairly minor delam but otherwise an extremely well made knife; good finishing, no low spots on the main bevel, a perfect ura, sharpened properly, and a very nice kasumi.

There are still a couple of smaller yanagi (270 & 240) available, and if no one snaps them up soon then I may just add to my own collection!

Last edited:
Picked this up a few days ago on a whim (I was in the pub and happened to be looking at my phone when a JNS email arrived). Kaeru Tanuki (Wakui 'seconds') 300mm Yanagiba:

View attachment 288182

At about $155 inc. delivery I am seriously impressed. A few spots of fairly minor delam but otherwise an extremely well made knife; good finishing, no low spots on the main bevel, a perfect ura, sharpened properly, and a very nice kasumi.

There are still a couple of smaller yanagi (270 & 240) available, and if no one snaps them up soon then I may just add to my own collection!

Oh and - it didn’t actually have a machi gap. I’d just already removed the handle before taking that pic.

Is that a drop of blood on your finger tip?

Ha! Good spot - it is indeed. I’d brushed it against a spinning whetstone, and whilst you can’t feel it at the time, that kind of graze will bleed for hours and hours, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Ha! Good spot - it is indeed. I’d brushed it against a spinning whetstone, and whilst you can’t feel it at the time, that kind of graze will bleed for hours and hours, and there’s nothing you can do.
Blood stop powders, and bandages impregnated with blood stop stuff, are readily available in the marts of commerce. Also in my first-aid drawer.

Blood stop powders, and bandages impregnated with blood stop stuff, are readily available in the marts of commerce. Also in my first-aid drawer.

Huh… I’ve never actually heard of that, I will investigate. Ta!

Remember though; you guys have toaster ovens but no kettles, Thanksgiving but no Bonfire Night, novels but no poems. Not everthing crosses the Atlantic…

View attachment 288182

Thanks a lot. I didn’t need another yanagiba, but now there is one on the way to me.

Huh… I’ve never actually heard of that, I will investigate. Ta!

I keep a bottle of this in the truck. We used it on the horses growing up but I figured I qualify as "other showstock".

1000028611.jpg

Is styptic powder still a key element of the straight razor onboarding experience?
Onboarding, yes. Powder, no. Styptic pencil for really persistent bleeders; alum block for "weepers," which basically means anything bleeding at all by the end of the shave.

Haven't needed either since I was about 50 shaves in, though. My occasional oops moments do not create anything that lasts to the end of the shave.

Thanks a lot. I didn’t need another yanagiba, but now there is one on the way to me.

Good stuff!

If your 270 is like mine (and I'm sure it is) - they're really nicely done yanagi at silly cheap prices. The perfect grind for the uraoshi and no low spots on the bevel really impressed me. :)

Ha! Good spot - it is indeed. I’d brushed it against a spinning whetstone, and whilst you can’t feel it at the time, that kind of graze will bleed for hours and hours, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.
lol I thought it was from the knife, which in my mind is of course a ringing endorsement

Back