Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to this...

I like the maintenance aspect so bought one that needed some love. I'm pretty sure it's a Masahiro in Blue paper steel.

Unfortunately someone has done some "restoration" before i got it, which is a great shame. Massive asymmetric edge put on it with what I assume is a bench buffing wheel. So bad it was more or less into the iron cladding on the other side.
PXL_20240301_213909022.jpg

PXL_20240301_214013361.jpg

But made some progress already
PXL_20240301_234339643.jpg

Still a lot to do, and a lot to learn.

New to this...

I like the maintenance aspect so bought one that needed some love. I'm pretty sure it's a Masahiro in Blue paper steel.

Unfortunately someone has done some "restoration" before i got it, which is a great shame. Massive asymmetric edge put on it with what I assume is a bench buffing wheel. So bad it was more or less into the iron cladding on the other side.
View attachment 304576
View attachment 304577

But made some progress alreadyView attachment 304578

Still a lot to do, and a lot to learn.
Good on you. The best way to learn is to bite the bullet and put steel to stone. Mistakes will be made, but that's how we improve.

Not a purchase but recently received a new to me HHH Custom 240 gyuto!!

This puppy is super sharp as it just arrived from Tokushu after a fresh sharpening. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's AEB-L stainless steel with a Western Rosewood handle.

I really like the handle! It's more refined/polished and possibly coated/sealed vs my rosewood Forschners. Oil beads on it where it sinks in to my Forschner rosewood handles.

It arrived just in time to brunoise mirepoix for crabcakes!

A million thank you's to all involved with this!!

Apologies for my crappy phone pics. They do not serve this knife justice.

I haven't been on here much lately. I've been busy getting my garden going, and had some medical procedures to help kill nerve pain. They were successful so I'm in the process of signing up with CozyMeal to offer cooking classes and private chef dinners 2 days a week.

View attachment 304519
View attachment 304520
View attachment 304521View attachment 304522View attachment 304523
Randy makes excellent knives, always a great aesthetic too. Too bad he’s no longer active on this forum. Is this a new build from him or an older knife?

Wow, $273 plus shipping seems like great value for a 270 kiritsuke.
Yes, that's what I thought too. Especially considering a Japanese-certified master makes it. I wrote Murray Carter in my search and he wanted anywhere from 1,900-2,500 USD for a similar blade. He is priced out of my budget these days so I had to keep looking.

Ahhh I see you grabbed the other HF mono. Any initial thoughts? A lot of knife for the price

Its the first HF I'm handling, I wanted to try his work for some time..
very impressed with the distal taper, the tip is extremely thin (maybe bit too much). its a WH grind for sure but cutting feels is pretty smooth. the steel is pretty good, harder than what I've expected. profile also pretty flat and effective, similar to kipp Wp that i have

only really negatives for me is the handle which i prefer to be more chunky and the crazy thin tip(hard to use for the long term without causing deformation).

I bought it directly from the shop in Japan. Here is the website: https://www.frkw.com/

My wife reads and speaks Japanese so she helped with the transaction. We lived there for four years.

It is a wonderful knife. I did some test cuts this evening and then prepared a dinner. It was surprisingly easy to cut with for such a large blade.
Thanks for the info! I’m keeping this in my notes.

Rader
Burke
Wilburn
Meers
Lisch
Kramer

Are the only ones I’m aware of that consistently produce kitchen knives. I’ve seen a few one offs from other makers, but not part of their core lineup. Am I missing anyone?
Zack Jonas. Jason Knight. Nick Rossi. Murray Carter. Jackson Rumble. Jordan LaMothe. (I think I got them all)

He doesn’t produce a ton of kitchen knives from what I can tell but I have this bad boy from Adam Desrosiers.

IMG_0332.jpeg

Rader
Burke
Wilburn
Meers
Lisch
Kramer

Are the only ones I’m aware of that consistently produce kitchen knives. I’ve seen a few one offs from other makers, but not part of their core lineup. Am I missing anyone?
Carter

Back