Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooookaaay, so this was unexpected...got a Kobayashi nakiri today to replace one of the last of my "starter knife" slots. I expected it to be pretty good. What I got was jaw dropping. For reference, I have a Yoshikane 240 gyuto, a Tetsujin 210mm gyuto, a Shibata bunka, a Shiro Kamo kiritsuke 240mm gyuto, a Shindo funayuki, an Ashi Ginga 180mm petty, a Y. Kato Chuka Bocho, a CCK 1303 cleaver and some other knives I think we can all agree are exceptional cutters. They all cut carrots whisper quiet and leave a glassy surface. fine.

The Kobayashi wins and by a margin I didn't even think was possible given how well everything else performs. Carrots almost don't exist. It's...I just cant really accept that it is doing what its doing. I wish the choil and spine were chamfered like a Tetsujin. I wish it had a flatter profile as it has slightly more belly than I want in a nakiri, but absolutely nothing I have cuts better then this. #gobsmacked
View attachment 313289
That's so great! It reminds me of when I got a Kochi nakiri. It blew me away. I called my wife in and made her cut a carrot with it. After she was done, she asked me if the carrot was cooked. That's how smoothly the thing cut.

Lovely profile! I like the low bevel look.
Thanks. I wanted something I don't already own. Been following his work for a while and thought I would give him a try. Such an easy person to work with. Good thing he also lives like 2 hours away so mail takes a day to get to me.

Should be a self explanatory photo!
Note: two of three are mine.
IMG_4722.JPGIMG_4721.JPG

I snagged a new in box 210mm Toyama nakiri off of BST and damn, it's a big bit of metal with an awesome looking grind! My next largest nakiri is a 173 x 52mm Mazaki and it is absolutely dwarfed by the Toyama. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and if it is as fun to use as it looks, then I'll take the time to round and polish some of the rougher surfaces and give it a new handle.

20240407_130529.jpg

DSCF1078.JPG
DSCF1079.JPG

I think this is one of the clearest choil shots that I have ever taken and if you look hard enough, you can still see a few tea towel fibres that got snagged on the rough ground choil 😂

DSCF1083.JPG
DSCF1097.JPG
DSCF1081.JPG

I also took some macro images of the edge to see what was going on there and it's ground to a zero grind on one side, with a small, ≈12° microbevel on the other side.

2024_04_06_18_31_10_073.png
2024_04_06_18_32_28_994.png

I snagged a new in box 210mm Toyama nakiri off of BST and damn, it's a big bit of metal with an awesome looking grind! My next largest nakiri is a 173 x 52mm Mazaki and it is absolutely dwarfed by the Toyama. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and if it is as fun to use as it looks, then I'll take the time to round and polish some of the rougher surfaces and give it a new handle.

View attachment 313610
View attachment 313619View attachment 313614

I think this is one of the clearest choil shots that I have ever taken and if you look hard enough, you can still see a few tea towel fibres that got snagged on the rough ground choil 😂

View attachment 313612View attachment 313611View attachment 313613

I also took some macro images of the edge to see what was going on there and it's ground to a zero grind on one side, with a small, ≈12° microbevel on the other side.

View attachment 313617View attachment 313616
Wow what lighting and aperture did you use to get these pics?

Reactions: Kgp
Wow what lighting and aperture did you use to get these pics?
All non-macro photos were taken in indirect light on an undercover balcony, the choil and tip shots were made facing the sky and the macro images were made indoors with a USB microscope. All of the non-macro photos were shot at F7.1, ISO 320 and auto shutter speed.

Ooookaaay, so this was unexpected...got a Kobayashi nakiri today to replace one of the last of my "starter knife" slots. I expected it to be pretty good. What I got was jaw dropping. For reference, I have a Yoshikane 240 gyuto, a Tetsujin 210mm gyuto, a Shibata bunka, a Shiro Kamo kiritsuke 240mm gyuto, a Shindo funayuki, an Ashi Ginga 180mm petty, a Y. Kato Chuka Bocho, a CCK 1303 cleaver and some other knives I think we can all agree are exceptional cutters. They all cut carrots whisper quiet and leave a glassy surface. fine.

The Kobayashi wins and by a margin I didn't even think was possible given how well everything else performs. Carrots almost don't exist. It's...I just cant really accept that it is doing what its doing. I wish the choil and spine were chamfered like a Tetsujin. I wish it had a flatter profile as it has slightly more belly than I want in a nakiri, but absolutely nothing I have cuts better then this. #gobsmacked
View attachment 313289
Had this knife. Can understand your sentiments towards it. I regret selling it

All non-macro photos were taken in indirect light on an undercover balcony, the choil and tip shots were made facing the sky and the macro images were made indoors with a USB microscope. All of the non-macro photos were shot at F7.1, ISO 320 and auto shutter speed.
sold all my macro lens cuz I got tired of taking pictures of insects and flowers…maybe I need to buy another one so I can take pictures of my knives lol

The Kobayashi wins and by a margin I didn't even think was possible given how well everything else performs. Carrots almost don't exist. It's...I just cant really accept that it is doing what it’sdoing. I wish the choil and spine were chamfered like a Tetsujin. I wish it had a flatter profile as it has slightly more belly than I want in a nakiri, but absolutely nothing I have cuts better then this. #gobsmacked
View attachment 313289
Do you have choil and spine pics? How’s the food release

Knife pic on the hood of a car. There should be a magazine dedicated to these
Look, I spend like 72 hours a week between two kitchens with awful florescent lighting, and more time in my car commuting between them than the few hours I actually ever get at home. Don't judge 😂😂😂

So I m not crazy? Prices seem steep on there but because a lot of the knives aren’t widely sold elsewhere I wasn’t sure to what I could compare them

Best way is to buy here on BST. People here have been hoarding all the old Watoyama iron clads. I’m trying my best to be patient.

Back