Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of performance over bling... finally got hold of a 245mm x 55mm standard 145sc kasumi with burnt oak handle from Bryan. The stars aligned and he sold me one off IG. Now officially a member of the Sanmai Mafia. Thank you Mr. Raquin🙏🏼

View attachment 312890View attachment 312891

I’m having difficulty masturbating to this; a choil shot should get me there.

I was about to post a pic but I remembered it’s Abstinence April.

1712275115838.gif

1712275222974.gif

I haven't posted in this thread yet, but this one is pretty special (to me). Picked it up from Crocker Cutlery - it arrived quickly and was very well packed, a great overall experience.

The first use was just to prepare box lunch for my kids this morning. Sliced a cucumber and diced some cooked chicken breast. Even with that quick test, I'm astonished by how well it performed. Certainly up there with Bidinger for how far my jaw dropped on the first couple cuts.

This one's going to be fun.

Kamon 1.2519 Denty Gyuto, 227x54mm

PXL_20240404_232755412.jpg

PXL_20240404_232903844.jpg

PXL_20240404_232932260.jpg

PXL_20240404_233045665.jpg

PXL_20240404_233204433.jpg

PXL_20240404_233133144.jpg

E bit of rant here, so I bought the Sakai Takayuki Sanpou, a new line made in house by their young crafts man in Aoki Hamono, sounds good. Now I got the knife and did some sharpening and cutting I regret buying it, I don't like it. Usually when I regret buying a knife it is "well it it nice but my other knives is as good or better" or "hmm pretty average for the price with no stand out points", but this is just bad.

Let's get some of the good off first, for a Sakai knife, it got very nice thick spine and good distal taper, well weighted and really nice mono handle, the French profile is to my liking, the FF is good for the price I paid at DC, steel is quite wear resistant for White 2, kind reminds me of Kawachi Kunisuke, and the cladding got some nice activity going on. Then it is down hill from there, first this is the dullest Japanese knife i've got, that's including intentionally unsharpened single bevels, I can run my thumb across the whole edge length without feeling anything, and I got cut by a bench scraper once. The knife doesn't want to bite into half of a onion that I left in fridge from yesterday. Well maybe after sharpening it is better I thought, so I went on sharpening, it takes me almost 10 minutes to raise a burr on one side, in white steel, I spent less on Magnacut. The steel is not the problem, the edge bevel is just uneven and very thick at the bottom half, the front got a burr in the first half of the sharpening and the back half just stays perfectly smooth. After sharpening the new bevel is very visable, a testement to how thich it was. Still it cuts more akin to a Yo Deba than a gyuto, the Mikami Wa Bocho fish knife actually cuts better. Very disappointing, I want to put it on BST immideatly but doubt anyone would want it without serious thinning... Anyway if you want pay $199 for a project knife DM me...
sanpou1.jpg
sanpou2.jpg
sanpou4.jpg
sanpou3.jpg

Wakui workhorse 240 from JNS.
Wanted to try a „real“ workhorse or rather understand what people mean but this term and couldn’t resist when it was on sale.

Second is a Simon Maillet from BST. Thought I’m good with knives for now but this had my dream specs with heel height over 6cm. Can’t wait to put a new edge on it and polish the wrought iron up.

Attachments

• IMG_5156.jpeg
    IMG_5156.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
E bit of rant here, so I bought the Sakai Takayuki Sanpou, a new line made in house by their young crafts man in Aoki Hamono, sounds good. Now I got the knife and did some sharpening and cutting I regret buying it, I don't like it. Usually when I regret buying a knife it is "well it it nice but my other knives is as good or better" or "hmm pretty average for the price with no stand out points", but this is just bad.

Let's get some of the good off first, for a Sakai knife, it got very nice thick spine and good distal taper, well weighted and really nice mono handle, the French profile is to my liking, the FF is good for the price I paid at DC, steel is quite wear resistant for White 2, kind reminds me of Kawachi Kunisuke, and the cladding got some nice activity going on. Then it is down hill from there, first this is the dullest Japanese knife i've got, that's including intentionally unsharpened single bevels, I can run my thumb across the whole edge length without feeling anything, and I got cut by a bench scraper once. The knife doesn't want to bite into half of a onion that I left in fridge from yesterday. Well maybe after sharpening it is better I thought, so I went on sharpening, it takes me almost 10 minutes to raise a burr on one side, in white steel, I spent less on Magnacut. The steel is not the problem, the edge bevel is just uneven and very thick at the bottom half, the front got a burr in the first half of the sharpening and the back half just stays perfectly smooth. After sharpening the new bevel is very visable, a testement to how thich it was. Still it cuts more akin to a Yo Deba than a gyuto, the Mikami Wa Bocho fish knife actually cuts better. Very disappointing, I want to put it on BST immideatly but doubt anyone would want it without serious thinning... Anyway if you want pay $199 for a project knife DM me...
View attachment 313070View attachment 313071View attachment 313073View attachment 313072
Thanks for sharing!

Wakui workhorse 240 from JNS.
Wanted to try a „real“ workhorse or rather understand what people mean but this term and couldn’t resist when it was on sale.

Second is a Simon Maillet from BST. Thought I’m good with knives for now but this had my dream specs with heel height over 6cm. Can’t wait to put a new edge on it and polish the wrought iron up.
Your life will change after that Wakui. Bon voyage

View attachment 313070View attachment 313071View attachment 313073View attachment 313072
Send it to Taylor Edgington in Reno. He can probably fix it up for not a lot of money.

Deep Etch from Milan’s last drop. Of special interest to me is Milan’s touchmark, which looks like an EEG wave spike. I have epilepsy, so sometimes I mark objects (like golf balls), with a near identical pattern. It made me love the knife that much more. Immediately used it on slaw and stock, and it cuts like nothing I’ve ever experienced. It’s a mindreader.
ACF90FEA-F0F5-4AE2-B114-EAFC4349F3E9.jpeg
699384EA-F738-476C-A93A-2E046E699CA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Ooookaaay, so this was unexpected...got a Kobayashi nakiri today to replace one of the last of my "starter knife" slots. I expected it to be pretty good. What I got was jaw dropping. For reference, I have a Yoshikane 240 gyuto, a Tetsujin 210mm gyuto, a Shibata bunka, a Shiro Kamo kiritsuke 240mm gyuto, a Shindo funayuki, an Ashi Ginga 180mm petty, a Y. Kato Chuka Bocho, a CCK 1303 cleaver and some other knives I think we can all agree are exceptional cutters. They all cut carrots whisper quiet and leave a glassy surface. fine.

The Kobayashi wins and by a margin I didn't even think was possible given how well everything else performs. Carrots almost don't exist. It's...I just cant really accept that it is doing what its doing. I wish the choil and spine were chamfered like a Tetsujin. I wish it had a flatter profile as it has slightly more belly than I want in a nakiri, but absolutely nothing I have cuts better then this. #gobsmacked
1712371447197.png

Last edited:
Iracil Knives from here in southern Germany that is laying at home and arrived while I am out with the family. Just got her today but out at the Zoo. I don't even know size yet but between 230-240. It's 52100. Can't wait to play with her tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_171915_825.jpg
    IMG_20240404_171915_825.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240404_171912_662.jpg
    IMG_20240404_171912_662.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240404_171910_696.jpg
    IMG_20240404_171910_696.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
Iracil Knives from here in southern Germany that is laying at home and arrived while I am out with the family. Just got her today but out at the Zoo. I don't even know size yet but between 230-240. It's 52100. Can't wait to play with her tonight.
Lovely profile! I like the low bevel look.

Latest posts

Back