Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Munetoshi Bloomery Iron Full Kasumi Extra Height

Haven’t tried it yet but stunning at a visual level

View attachment 318394

View attachment 318395

View attachment 318396

View attachment 318397

View attachment 318398
Amazing the difference in bloomery Iron knives from JNS. I have a bloomery Toyama and it is nowhere near as nice as this. The contrast in yours is spectacular compared to mine. Really beautiful knife and I hope you love the extra height, I think thats super cool.

Amazing the difference in bloomery Iron knives from JNS. I have a bloomery Toyama and it is nowhere near as nice as this. The contrast in yours is spectacular compared to mine. Really beautiful knife and I hope you love the extra height, I think thats super cool.
Thanks! For anyone interested, there is still one available online at JNS

Perfection. Thank you, Hoss! @DevinT

IMG_1046.png
IMG_1047.png
IMG_1048.png
IMG_1049.png

Spare honyaki in 26c3

Perfect weight based on what I was looking for - a couple of small nits on the fit and finish but overall I’m excited!

Knife came tipped during shipping - what’s the general etiquette on this? Not something I want to fix myself or ship back to him for repair. Do makers usually cover the cost of a local repair?

Attachments

• IMG_5349.jpeg
    IMG_5349.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    996 KB · Views: 0
I’m sure he would be happy to take care of it, but I’m doubtful that shipping both ways would be very cost effective depending on where you’re located.

I’d consider reaching out to a reputable sharpener (JKI / Bernal (located in SF) / Tokushu) and having them fix it for you. Or I’m sure some members here might be willing to do it as well
Spare honyaki in 26c3

Perfect weight based on what I was looking for - a couple of small nits on the fit and finish but overall I’m excited!

Knife came tipped during shipping - what’s the general etiquette on this? Not something I want to fix myself or ship back to him for repair. Do makers usually cover the cost of a local repair?

IMO some kind of make good is certainly appropriate.

What exactly feels fair to both parties is a bit harder to say. The cost to him to cover shipping the knife one-way back to Sweden would probably be roughly the same as what it’d cost you (shipping both ways plus cost of service) to get it to JKI for tip repair — that’s probably what I’d request.

IMO some kind of make good is certainly appropriate.

What exactly feels fair to both parties is a bit harder to say. The cost to him to cover shipping the knife one-way back to Sweden would probably be roughly the same as what it’d cost you (shipping both ways plus cost of service) to get it to JKI for tip repair — that’s probably what I’d request.
He lives in SF and Bernal is in SF. He could drive over and pay ~$20 and be done without risking it getting tipped again in the mail.

Agreed that he should at least mention it to Spare and see if he’d be willing to cover the cost.

Not to speak for him, but in one of his knife sharpening videos from a few years ago Jon said if anyone brings in a knife for tip repair to JKI he usually just does it for free because it so easy and fast to do. Not sure if Bernal has the same thoughts about that but regardless it will be much cheaper to just take it there than to ship back and fortb

Alright that's annyoing but also so freaking minuscule and easy to fix. Grab your coarsest stone, grind down the spine until you hit the tip. Then go for a finer stone for a more polished spine. You can also round the spine a bit if you want but no real advantage. Sending it somewhere to fix it would be waste of time and money. This is like 5 to 10 mins max.

Alright that's annyoing but also so freaking minuscule and easy to fix. Grab your coarsest stone, grind down the spine until you hit the tip. Then go for a finer stone for a more polished spine. You can also round the spine a bit if you want but no real advantage. Sending it somewhere to fix it would be waste of time and money. This is like 5 to 10 mins max.

This is a really easy fix.
Do it yourself.
It will be satisfying.
You’ll get plenty of coaching here.
Not worth two trips to Bernal to drop it off and pick it up…
Agree with you both, but at the same time, if this is a particularly important or special knife (and bnib to boot), I completely understand wanting the job done professionally first time. If the dude tips it himself three months from now, yeah, grab a stone and knock it out sure. But this knife still has that new car smell, I get wanting to make sure the work is done right.

Agree with you both, but at the same time, if this is a particularly important or special knife (and bnib to boot), I completely understand wanting the job done professionally first time. If the dude tips it himself three months from now, yeah, grab a stone and knock it out sure. But this knife still has that new car smell, I get wanting to make sure the work is done right.
I get this for sure and think buyer is within their rights to want a professional fix, but... if you have a coarse stone it's almost not worth the hassle, you'll spend more time taking it to your local shop or the post office than doing it yourself and really not rocket science.

I received knife that was tipped in transit recently, got bummed about it, mentioned it to the seller and got a bit of money back to cover a repair. Couple days later I looked at it again, got out the 220 and ground it down in all of 5-10 minutes, and sent the money back to seller. Definitely way less of a PITA than I remembered and not technically difficult. Tape a little around the tip area to avoid stray scratches and it's pretty hard to f up.

Back