Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This came in the mail today:

gyuto2.jpg

Gekko, 240mm gyuto, blue steel #1. My first gyuto.

It's maybe a little heavy, 238g, but I'm OK with that. Not like I'll use it for long periods. It's now my go-to knife for slicing large pieces of beef, which is a fitting task for a gyuto.

Vintage (30+ year) Masamoto KS 270 and an Aritsugu 240 deba that's probably a bite older. Seller also had a 210+ aritsugu honyaki usuba if anyone's interested for a cool $900.
Edit: man, sorry for the crummy photo.

I am newer to the knife game, but I am working on sharpening skill with my chef and slowly building my kit, most recent purchase was this Kaneshige 180mm blue 2 nakiri, I do a lot of soup and sauce prep at the restaurant and am dying to rock out mounds of diced veg with this thing, can't wait for it to get here. Here is the link to the pic from the original sale post from Echerub. Let me know what you think http://www.leonardchu.com/Kaneshige_nakiri.jpg

Vintage (30+ year) Masamoto KS 270 and an Aritsugu 240 deba that's probably a bite older. Seller also had a 210+ aritsugu honyaki usuba if anyone's interested for a cool $900.
Edit: man, sorry for the crummy photo.

I'm digging that KS! Did ya find it on the bay? looks like its seen a lot of use. how is the thickness behind the edge?

nope, found it locally, I'll post up a choil shot soon and a heel height. What height are they typically? Should be a fun one to sharpen up and maybe do a handle/saya on.

**** montezuma, dropped some nice coin on those bad boys huh

I only wanted to compare the Kiritsuke and Ginsanko ... just to help me decide which one to purchase ... I should never, ever have held both of them ... I couldn't decide ... Jon tried to help/guide/let me know I could come back/etc. ... it didn't work! =;-)

In hindsight they are very complimentary and absolutely no regrets! As for the $$, oh well - my plan is to have them buried with me! At an undisclosed location of course judging by some of the KKF members posts ... LOL

BMB

I only wanted to compare the Kiritsuke and Ginsanko ... just to help me decide which one to purchase ... I should never, ever have held both of them ... I couldn't decide ... Jon tried to help/guide/let me know I could come back/etc. ... it didn't work! =;-)

In hindsight they are very complimentary and absolutely no regrets! As for the $$, oh well - my plan is to have them buried with me! At an undisclosed location of course judging by some of the KKF members posts ... LOL

BMB

Accidents happen.....

Seattle was a hoot this weekend. Ended up with a red handled Wilburn Chefs for myself, a D handled dami Wilburn for my wife and a 320mm Suji from Marko. More pics and descriptions to come but here's a shot of the 3.

Sakai Yusuke 240 mm extra thick
I had a little buyers remorse when I got home with the lacewood, but the saya came out nice.

My latest acquisition: A Tetsuhiro 210mm gyuto. Blue#2 in a stainless steel cladding, Micarta handles. I like how the cladding becomes more and more frosted as it approaches the border to the core. Btw the core is mirror polished, not dark as it appears in the pic.

I can't remember seeing a Tetsuhiro on here before ... what is the KKF's opinion on them?

DSCN1857_zpsb0e1ac3b.jpg

Btw I bought it in this Munich shop today ... hundreds of the fines woodworking tools, gardening tools, knives, whetstones ... like a shoeshop for men!

[video=youtube;H4Y7FRLEoaU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Y7FRLEoaU[/video]

My new acquisition. Haburn petty - 120mm from 52100 with full tang cocobolo handle

K10kmPr.jpg

bnpgT98.jpg

Stunning, quite the looker! How tall is it at the heel?

Lucky you. Besides the fact that it's beautiful, it just looks so comfortable and made for cutting not just a piece of art. It's one of those knives that I just can't stop looking at. The handle and blade look so right together. I don't think I've ever seen a Shig etched like that either. I'm very envious!

My first high performance knife, 270 ITK DT picked up from BST. Impeccable Fit and finish on the blade.
IMG_20140517_224151.jpg

I highly recommend William Catchside's custom work. I've been wanting one for some time and finally was able grab this guy. Got some heft to it (there's something to be said about feeling what you pay for), cuts like a dream and is just dead sexy. I repolished and re-etched it and just gotta say, f me. What a great way to treat myself!

picsay-1400439459_zps184bcd48.jpg
picsay-1400439904_zps0d4ba6d8.jpg
picsay-1400440033_zps08b0bcbc.jpg
picsay-1400440138_zps9ccc54cd.jpg
picsay-1400439762_zps91d08e31.jpg
picsay-1400439656_zpsae289ad7.jpg

Beautiful knife, Marc! I love Will's work. He is one of my favourites, for sure, and this is one of my favourite pieces I've seen by him.

Back