Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those Ken Onions are salvageable - just need some Bar Keepers Friend.

Out with the old, in with the new (can you tell which is which?)

IMG_20140904_190206701.jpg

What happened to the onions? Fire?

Definitely overdid the heat treatment on those... Nice and functional replacements, though. I like the restored Forgie also, even though green is not my color.

Stefan

Yeah, fire. Nothing left of my quaint log cabin anymore. To the inevitable question: cause inconclusive, but I'm pretty sure it was electrical, part of the HVAC resistive heat.

I poked through what I call my rubble pile and picked out interesting things. Those weren't the best knives of the set, but they were representative enough to make the point. I had some Calphalon stainless steel pots with the aluminum sandwiched in the bottom. The ones that weren't warped all to hell had the aluminum squeezed out between the stainless steel layers like ketchup from a packet.

Many thanks to those that talked me out of buying Ken Onion's newest creations and save some money in the process. Haven't really cut much of anything with them yet, but I'll post up impressions once I've had some time with them.

Long in the design and making. For a very close group of friends/family and myself; custom set of oyster knives by Bloodroot blades. This is all wood I've put aside over time (all from BurlSource) along with some antler and salvage brass

Bog oak
Redwood burl
Rosewood burl
Bloodwood
Curly walnut

Disclosure: the guys at Bloodroot have asked to pass on that they will no longer be making oyster knives

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those are awesome. And while I am disappointed they aren't making then anymore, I understand. Very unique set of knives you have there.

View attachment 24287

The gyuto arrived , Initial impressions all positive , will post a review once I get enough usage out if it

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I'm not a photographer, but I just ordered the Masahi Kobo Damascus Petty 150mm SLD. It's my first new knife in a while. When it gets here, I'll take a very bad Blackberry picture of it and post it.

Cheers,

Jack

Haburn "Tall Petty", "Mini Gyuto" .... Height - 36mm, Was done with work by the time I got it today, haven't had a chance to put it through the paces

photo1-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Really love this knife. Never heard of Haburn, are they a knife you have to get directly from the smith?

Have you sharpened it yet?

No but I bought it second hand from a supposed experienced sharpener who took it up to a 5K Rika. He kept a great even, toothy and razor sharp edge tip to heel.

So far I did nothing but dice a tomato with it and ticker taped some printer paper. It is very sharp, but I still don't feel it is up to spec as my Masamoto fresh off the stones.

what kind of knife is that Dave?

Ikeda 250mm Damascus Gyuto. It's a KS clone made of Aogami Super. The fit and finish is very nice though and it's attractive looking. It is very sharp, digs right into my walnut and maple board and pops arm hair. Got some translucent tomato slices as well, but this is all judging off one tomato.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and put it through it's paces some.

Quick question, why would you get it if you already have a KS, and how much did you get it for

Quick question, why would you get it if you already have a KS, and how much did you get it for

IDK haha. I bought it off the classified board on the site I can't mention. I just liked the look and got a good price on it and a Kohetsu 210 that I gifted to a friend. I much prefer the KS profile though and wanted to try out AS, also liked the Damscus and the handle. A lot of people have multiple similar Gyuto's, no lol?

I'd imagine after a few months this will be a candidate for trade no matter how much I like it though.

... and don't know how to sharpen it.
Who said I don't know how to sharpen it?

It came sharpened by the person I bought it off, nearly perfectly with much better stones then I have, am I supposed to just resharpen it for the hell of it as soon as I get it?

Don't understand why you get all cornball snarky and elitist with me on every site we interact on?

Same thing you did on the site I can't mention and Cheftalk when I first got my Masamoto and really didn't know how to sharpen period.

I'm always honest about my abilities and what not anyway and a lot of people new to knives would have liked to know about the OOTB sharpness of the KS anyway....

Ikeda 250mm Damascus Gyuto. It's a KS clone made of Aogami Super. The fit and finish is very nice though and it's attractive looking. It is very sharp, digs right into my walnut and maple board and pops arm hair. Got some translucent tomato slices as well, but this is all judging off one tomato.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and put it through it's paces some.

I had a 240 version of this. Very impressive knife. This bad boy gets amazingly sharp. Great grind as well. I just though they could have eased/rounded the spine though. My only gripe on this knife really.

Enjoy the new score!

That knife looks great and who cares if you buy a nice knife and aren't very great at sharpening if that is the case just practise while you grow to the knife.

I bought a decent amount of good knives before I could sharpen really good and I think it was better to buy good ones than practise on **** ones. because for 1 they are easier to sharpen and 2 you use them alot more so you actually learn to understand what your doing to the edge. Anyway goodluck and have fun

IMG_5483.JPG

Catcheside SS Chinese Cleaver

Sandvik 14c28n, hollow ground, 212mm x 110mm, 400g w/ handle. Wide edge bevels, think super thin stainless Takeda.

Back